Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tire dismount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LeoH, Jul 17, 2013.

1. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

I'm interested in any quick 'n dirty, don't care about the tire, ways to get a tire off a rim that you've done.

Not involving excessive mayhem, please ;)

I am unfortunately in a location where tires have been dumped nearby. I'm interested in getting the tires off the rims and collecting the rims for scrap.

2. BuyTheFlag

BuyTheFlag
    from USA

Cordless Drill with a hole saw and a Sawzall ?

3. jkeckss

jkeckss

My buddy pops the bead with a car jack.. puts the front wheels on the edge of the tire and the jack under the hitch of his truck.. not sure how safe it is but he used to work at a tire shop and changes lots by hand

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd see if I could scrounge up an old manual tire changer like this one.
    [​IMG]
    We had one in the school shop for years and I used an identical one at the Pontiac dealership I worked in in Texas to mount Vogue bias tires on big Pontiacs in the mid 70's. It will give you a work out but it's all man power and you could probably rig setup to mount it on a small trailer to move it around. You could pop a lot of car and small truck tires off the rims in a day with one but would be ready for more than one cold one when you were done.

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

6. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Sawzall has worked for me in the past.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Yep. Sawzall works. Like the burning rubber smell too :)

8. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I've had pretty good luck with a manual changer like that from Harbor Freight. You've golt to bolt it down to something, and I've had to reinforce parts of it for changing old 9.00x16 military tires. It's a sweaty job.

I would think that absorbing the cost of disposing abandoned tires would cost more than the value of the scrap steel, but good for you for clenaing up the neighborhood.

9. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I just drive over the tire with the car of my choice. Usually breaks the bead no problem, and just use a tire iron to peel them the rest of the way off. You just have to be careful not to squish the wheel, but if you are just scrapping them, no worries there.

Sawzall works too...

10. Jokester

Jokester

Get a couple of cheap Harbor Freight tire tools, much better than a tire iron and a screwdriver.

Also, it's usually easier to remove them from the back side.

my 2¢

11. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I just run them over with the truck.

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Second the comment on driving over the tire to break the bead, then us tire irons to remove the rest..
    Very easy to do...and no mess...
    Once you do it a few times it becomes quite easy...
    Good luck !

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

14. Smokeshow

Smokeshow

I worked in the tire industry for 7 years as a tech. A great tip when working on older/ rusty rims and tires is to lay the tire/wheel on their side and to soak the bead where the tire meets it with either dish soap or white wall tire cleaner. Let it sit over night and then break down the bead with a hammer and then use your bars to to dismount the tire. Before you put on the dish soap create a mixture of 1/2 soap 1/2 water and let sit for 24 hours. This makes things much easier. Dismounting car tires is very similar to bike/motor cycle tires just a little bigger. After you break the beads loose you can use a saws all to cut through the tire and wheel. Of course as you get quick at dismounting tires, it takes the same amount of time to dismount the tire correctly as it does to cut through them.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  15. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Just mount it on the rear axle of your truck, hack off the valve stem - drive around the back yard in tight circles. Presto

16. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

The wire in tire beads is hard steel, kind of like piano wire. A buddy put a deep knick in my Wiss bull dog snips getting even with a motorcycle tire got the best of him.
    Wet rubber cuts a lot easier than dry rubber.

17. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

18. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

19. JEM

JEM

If you don't care about the rim, you can just sawzall the tire right through the bead and the bead-seat of the rim. 14tpi 'hatchet' wide-back blades...

If you do care about the rim (hello, 13x5.5 Lotus-Cortina wheels!) then you can hose a bunch of lubricant (dish soap, WD-40, ATF, whatever) between the tire and the rim, I lowered my four-post lift ramp on the side of the tires (with a BMW M5 on the lift at the time...) and managed to pop the beads off the rims.

If you don't have any way of popping the bead free or if the tire's a nasty bugger and you still can't get it off once the bead's popped you can cut around the sidewalls ~1.5in away from the bead with the Sawzall and then pry off the little rings that remain. Old fabric tires go fast. Modern steel-belted tires are a PITA.

20. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

a gas powered chop saw cut through the rim where the bead sits on both sides. ive used a sawzall too only works if your scrapping the rims but its the fasted easiest way.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Cough, Cough, Cough....:eek:

22. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Interesting idea....

23. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Waayyyy too close to the house for those sorts of shenanigans. I've already had 3 experiences with wildfires within 800 yards of the house. That's too close as it is the tires are 200 yards from the domicile.

Funny thing, before I actually saw a wildfire that close, I had delusions of putting sprinklers at the edge of the property and running water to 'keep the fire away'. HAHAAHAHAHA! Fat F*cking chance. After seeing acres of just dead cheat grass on fire behind our place I saw how ridiculous a lawn sprinkler was.:eek:

I have our papers and some money in a fire safe and I am outta there if that ever happens again. Knock wood.

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a friend who uses a wood splitter, he crushes the rim in each direction and lifts the tire off the mangled rim.

25. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I just took in a truck chassis to scrap, they cut the tires off with this giant pincher on the end of an escavader, rather than having to sit and wait for them to be pinched off they just had me grab some similar tires that had allready been pinched off.

getting the tires off manually can be a workout if they are old and hard.

26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

2nd the log splitter , quick & easy !!
    dave

27. I bought a manual tire changer at rural king for like 80 sumthin bucks a few weeks ago

but if you don't care about the tires or the wheels a sawsall will do the job make sure theres no air in it rip out the valve stem and start cutting across the thread till you get past the bead through wheel and all and then just peel the tire off

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

2 1/2" or so holesaw and a good set of bolt cutters;

Break the beads.

Drill a hole in each sidewall next to the bead wire.

Reach in with the bolt cutters and snip the bead wire.

Peel off tire.

29. spiders web

spiders web

Pay your local tire shop 10 bucks, ten minutes and alot less hassle. Then again you might look alot like a monkey fucking a football and your friends may enjoy the watch. just say'in!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

I'm likin' the simplicity of the sawzall. It's not like I'm going to come across enough rims to give me a second income, but sadly, I will likely be able to accumulate enough rims to pay for gas.
    I also like the idea of trying to make a buck off of the dooshbags dumping trash in the desert and getting back something for my time in cleaning up after the scum.