Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tire dilemma...please help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickfunnycar.com, Jun 25, 2015.

1. OK, I pulled the trigger on some 16" American Rebel Sprints for the '28,the issue I'm having is finding proper sized tires to match.

I currently have steel smoothies in a 16x4.5 and 16x6 with Excelsior Stahl sport radials in 5.00R and 7.50R's and I would go back to using another set of these but the 7.50's seem to be about as big as they make them and they're only meant for wheel widths between 4-6".

I've looked at Coker,Speedway,Summit,Towel City,Radir and Firestone nostalgia tires and I'm not finding anything...?

I'd like to stay with radials and matching tread patterns...can anyone suggest a source..?
    Thanks guys in advance for the help...

Here's the 16x5 front in a machined finish and a satin lip,mine will be a polished lip:
    [​IMG]
    And the 16x8,this is the standard version,mine are the "trick" style with the 10" centers welded in for deeper windows:
    [​IMG]

2. Well I have no idea what look you are after. I'll bet if you muck around a little bit or pick up the phone that coker or someone has Indy style tire repops that would go well on those wheels though.

3. Looking at Antique Tyres site right now...I'm just after some blackwall radials with matching tread patterns.

4. Called Brizio and got the name of his wheel/tire guy,hoping they can help or steer me in the right direction.
    The Excelsior Stahl sport radials in a 5.00R16 will work fine on the fronts,but their 7.50R16 will look a bit odd stretched over a 8" wide wheel...so there lies the rub.

5. Yea its hard to find tires for 8" wheels that even remotely resemble anything that would have been used prior to about 66 or so.

Shouldn't keep you sidelined though they are just tires after all and some can be found.

6. I think I'm good now,Dave at Andy's Wheels & Tires who does Brizio's stuff gave me a really good option that I'm going with,I've found a match for the Stahl front 5.00's tread pattern-wise and he's having the sidewalls on all the tires ground smooth so they'll look almost identical.

It helps when you're dealing with a professional...lol.

7. You be speaking of the guy from Andy's, no one on here admits to being a pro except those that clearly are not or shouldn't be, LOL