Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tire Cleaner?...Which one??...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUDOG, Nov 29, 2008.

1. RUDOG

RUDOG

I was wondering what Tire Cleaner everyone uses? I have wide white Firestone Bias plys, and I don't want that Gloss/Wet look. I went to Meguiar's & Mother's web sites and they have Gels, hot sprays & super gloss cleaners.

I bought the Westley's Bleche-wite for the whitewalls. I'm assuming don't get the Bleche-wite on the Black walls? the instructions say: Do not allow product to contact magnesium or Aluminum wheels, painted or glass surfaces, eyewear, Fabric and non-rubber items. Permanent damage can occur. It also says Do not use in windy conditions.

Which one?...any suggestions?

Thanx:):)

2. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

My whitewalls get dirty quick! I just take the sos pad with the blue stuff on it with a bucket of water, and softly glide over them not scrubbing hard and it cleans them up nice, then after they're clean, I use the lotiony stuff thats supposed to condition them. It dries and doesnt have gloss, just looks normal. This is of course, when I do actually Clean my tires..
    Anthony

These tires were used and on an old chevy that was in the paint shop and had overspray and dirt and dust and you name it, SOS pads with a bucket of water.. cleaned right up then conditioned them.
    Good Luck
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  3. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

i use bleach white on my white walls and the black of my tires it doesnt affect them one bit after that i follow up with a meguiars gel. they have a few products out on the market that condition without the shine.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Simple Green works great on whitewalls, blackwalls, and many other areas of cleaning a car.... I also don't like the 'shiney' look on tires - this is just a cleaner and leaves no residue behind.

Malcolm

5. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

I use a specialty citrus white wall cleaner from Coker.
    No bleach, so they claim no long term fatigue on the tire usually associated with the bleach white.

6. kustomkat

kustomkat

I have used bleachwhite for years, and never had a problem on the black. I spray the tire with water, apply the cleaner, scrub, and hose it off. As long as you rinse it off, I couldn't see a problem....

7. dixiedog

dixiedog

Comet powder on a wet green scrubby for my white walls and tires.

My dad had me doing that back in the 60's on our rocket 88

8. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I have always used Poor Boys Bold'n'Bright in its concentrated form on whites.It removes even heavy grime without much effort,then just remove the excess shine with a dry cloth.
    Jeez,I just read that back,and I sound like a commercial!
    It is great stuff though
    Paul

9. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

The Wurth companany that supplys hardware to bodyshops has some great stuff. Silicone free called Rubber Care. Not shiney, in an aresol can and makes tires look like new rubber. Great stuff

10. RUDOG

RUDOG

I looked at the Coker website, and I couldn't find any cleaners on that site....I'll try and look again or maybe I'll give em a call when their open.

Thank you everyone on their replies! cause once you got that extra super shiny stuff on your tires, looks like no return to un-shinyness...

11. tinlid

tinlid

Try Dow Corning 'Scrubbing Bubbles' foamy cleaner for bathrooms. You can see the grime float out.

12. Weasel

Weasel

I try and avoid Westley's Bleche White, as, used over time it does tend to dry out the rubber and cause cracking. 000 steel wool and Simple Green followed by a commercial rubber conditioner. I will look at some of the other suggestions here though

13. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

I have always just used Comet/Ajax and an SOS pad with great results...

14. I've used Westley's Bleche-wite for years, without ant hassle at all. I love the stuff, and recommend it highly. Just use it as it says on the bottle.

15. Road Runner

Road Runner

Btw: Westley's Bleche Wite is not bleach and does not contain bleach.
    The main cleaning ingredient is rubbing alcohol and other detergents plus water.

Tire conditioners may be used as long as they don't contain silicone, like Armor All.
    Silicone will turn the white walls brown.

I use Westley's and just rinse and wipe dry. One cleaning keeps the white for several months.

16. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

17. ryno

ryno

ive always used westley's. have been cleaning the denmans on my cad with it for the past 4 years or so, with not cracking or dryrot.
    but all good things come to an end, last week i ran out and decided to use some walmart brand sos pads. they work awesome, cleaned up what i thought for the past few years where stained brown with little effort.
    sos is way cheaper also.

18. Westley's; scotch brite and rinse. Done

19. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

SIMPLE GREEN takes mine from disgusting to looking like new with almost no scrubbing. Just use an old red shop rag or something that has a tiny little bit of bit to wipe them down with, and then hose them off.

Job done

20. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I guess I am sort of lazy. I use what I have on hand for cleaning the glass and chrome: Windex. I use newspaper instead of paper towels; it has just enough abrasiveness to work well, without scratching glass, chrome, stainless, or aluminum. Gives the tires a nice, clean black look, but not shiny. Sorry, but no info on whitewall effectiveness (black tire guy here). Maybe not the optimal solution, but it works pretty well.

21. studematt

studematt

I clean everything with bleach white. My tires, bath tub, and I strip paint off model cars with it. Its awesome!

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I did a tech thread cleaning WWW's using SOS pads and Bud Lime beer...you figger it out...:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Road Runner

Road Runner

Even the finest steel wool or scotch brite is rough on the smooth factory surface making it porous and allowing dirt to settle.
    Once a rubber surface is rough, it cannot be polished or made smooth like newly vulcanized again.

A soft bristle nylon brush, like used tooth brushes side by side or a used dishwashing brush keeps the rubber smooth and slick without scratching it.
    It will stay clean and white longer.

24. +1 for simple green...i use a medium stiff bristle brush and the y come out looking NEATO!

25. budd

budd

i was useing an eagle 1 cleaner but i cant find it anymore, it was blue when you sprayed it on and just cleaned the tire and didnt make it shiny, now its back to sos pads, sos pads work great on aluminum wheels that are not coated and are not polished, even if there almost totaly white from corosion they will clean up nice.

26. smarg

smarg

i have had good luck with any leather cleaner it keeps it shinny

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Super Clean, in the purple jug; use it in a spray bottle. Just don't get it on your hands, and if you do, rinse it off really well. It WILL etch aluminum, so be careful there also.
    Butch/56sedandelivery.

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

"I use Westley's and just rinse and wipe dry. One cleaning keeps the white for several months. "
    by far the best & easiest !!!!!!!!!!!!! try it youll like it !! .. steve

29. MLK

MLK

I use Simple Green to clean a lot of things anymore. Use it full strength or diluted 50%...cleans great and is supposed to be environmentally friendly.

It cleans both whitewalls and blackwalls and does not leave any kind of 'shine' look to the sidewalls.

Do not use anything abrasive on your tires...it will scratch or rough them up and makes them harder to get the dirt out and eventually ruins them, especially noticeable on wide whites after a while.

Use a medium stiff nylon brush, you can usually find something in the cleaning isle of big box stores that has a handle and is wider than anything I have seen in the auto parts places.

Mike

30. I use Eagle products on my whitewalls. They used to have just a tire cleaner but switched to a combination tire and wheel cleaner. I have never been a fan of a combination product so when I was at a car show I talked to one of their reps about it. He gave me a sample of the combo cleaner to go and try. I used it and have been using it for about 5 years and it works great. Does not leave that shiny look on your tires, does not harm wheels and has no bleach in it. Best stuff I have ever found.
    Later,
    Dick