Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tips on removing sheared center cap screw from aluminum wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 01mikep, Sep 16, 2014.

1. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

I recently acquired a pair of slotted aluminum wheels and one of them has a few sheared center cap screws. They are nearly flush with the wheel. Any suggestions on removal without damaging the wheel?

image.jpg

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Weld a waser to the then a nut and try them while there still hot. Gary

3. I had almost the same issue with broken inspection cover bolt in an aluminum bellhousing. I TIG'd a ball of weld to the top, and grabbed that with a pair of vise grips, and unsrewed it right out.

4. BarryA

BarryA

Good news is the weld won't stick to ally - just be hot&fast, too much heat (or for too long) and you could start melt the surrounding metal (that'll take some doing though, it's a big heat sink!)

5. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Both are good ideas. I'll give it a shot and post the results. Thanks

6. That's just a # 10 screw. I don't think you need a nut welded to it to do the job and others are right. To much heat can be another problem. Personally I use my Whitney Punch and a piece of sheet metal, hand punch the correct size hole to just fit over the screw and tig weld it together. It just takes a second to tack it together. Once cooled I just use a pair of pliers and spin them out. This will also work even if the screw is broken off below the surface. The heat shock seems to brake the rust grip loose.
    The Wizzard