Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tip Size Does It Really Matter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Blurr, Mar 3, 2008.

1. The Blurr

The Blurr

Hey - I was looking for info on what the size is the tip for a paint sprayer to shoot flake out of ? Also where can I get one?

2. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

I have a 2.2 that I shoot flake with. Works great. I think you can get away with a 1.8 depending on the size flake you're shooting. Hopefully it's something sweet like monster bass boat flake.

Where to buy all depends on the gun you're using. Some guns are cheap and not many tips are available. If you have a nice gun, try this place.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/

Nick

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Buy a cheapie Harbor Freight gun and drill out the tip.......

4. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

Sorry the link above is where I bought my gun. I'm looking for the place where I bought the larger tip. You may just need to do a search on your gun and accessories.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Hiboy32 shot some flake on my Galaxie on Saturday and used a 1.9 tip.
    Worked great!

Malcolm

6. henry29

henry29

How big is the flake, do you have a pic?

7. The Blurr

The Blurr

The flake I am going to us is a standard size flake. The gun I have is just a cheapy from Walmart:eek:. But to drill out the tip Hmmm.. Do you think that would really work? Not being a smart ass I really don't know. So I guess I am being a dumb ass:D

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I also need to add that he threw a nut (5/16" size?) in his gun to (shake) agitate the flake while he was spraying. Otherwise, it will tend to settle to the bottom.

As far as the flake size, I have no idea. I'd say it is just the "normal" size. He bought it in a fruit jar at a swap meet.

Here's a pic: (I'll be posting a full thread tonight)
    [​IMG]

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Square peg in a round hole, of course it matters!

I use a 1.7 for most mini and regular size flake and a 2.0 for the really big stuff. Where to buy a tip depends on your gun, tcpglobal.com as mentioned above has many.

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

It'll work....you could buy a couple of the cheapie guns and drill 'em out to different sizes....
    Or......you could get either (A) use a solvent sprayer or (B) one of those small, handheld sandblasters that have it's own cup.....it's very similar to the FlakeBuster gun from Roth......only way cheaper....:)

11. The Blurr

The Blurr

How many onces of flake did you use or how many coats did you do? Looks bitch'in I really like the red candy you used also!

12. i shoot the small ol' skool flake suspended in auto air colors base thru a 1.2

13. lgh1157

lgh1157

Damn Malcolm, you been holding out on us :D

Wheres the pics homie ?!?

L

14. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

the prettiest flake job i ever saw was a 64' Impala with a bass boat gold flake job on it. that was the smoothest paint and it had to be a mile deep!!!! the guy that owned the car said he paid over 12K for the paint (and it was in the early nineties). every thing was flaked under the hood ,firewall,inner fenders inside and out. i wish i had a pic of the car.

15. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I bought a gun just for this ...astro with 1.9 tip worked great . It is also cheaper than a new fluid tip for a better gun....just my opinion.
    Jeff

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

17. duke182

duke182

i have a binks gun with a 2.2 tip and an agitator cup with a small air powered impeller to keep the flake suspended.
    you may also consider mixing the flake into the clear without reducer to aid in keeping the flake suspended. play w/your air pressure to see what works and you should be ok. if you use nut&bolts in the cup, make sure they are absolutely clean.

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

That is the way to do it! That would definitely be my chioce but I have no agitator cup. And yes, little or no reducer. I use HOK SG100 Intercoat clear which is basically just like clear basecoat. I am going to try the SG150 carrier to see if it will suspend it even better.