Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The overall shape is different too (and maybe length?). But if you are going to heat it up to drop it, you can probably readjust all the angles. But you should use a 28-9 bar as your guide.

Tim likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool I'll make that my plan :) I'll borrow @porknbeaner 's for mock up and something to match up to when I bend it.

3. Lookin' good!

Tim likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nothing to dramatic to post but I figured an update was due. Still dragging stuff home and figured if I could mock some stuff up, break some stuff down, I'd have more room for more stuff.

Both in the idea that I can just put stuff on the car instead of laying it next to it, and getting rid of stuff I don't need.

A lot of muscle and I got the perch pin nuts off. Stopped before I mushroomed the bolts to bad... Hopefully... I'll visit a torch today to get them out so I can harvest the wishbone.

In the process I tested how weak cinder blocks are in the wrong direction. Wow. image.jpeg
    I also got to work on grinding out the rivets in this tore up front crossmember. I'm about half way there. I've got an older model to replace it with. It has slightly different holes, I'm thinking my current one is late 29-30 because of the radiator drain hole and lack of tube shaped truss's in the back area.

I'm planing on putting new holes in the "new" crossmember so it'll line up with the existing frame holes. Figure a crossmember can fit in a drill press and save me some time compared to trying to drill the frame which is honestly like to avoid adding holes to anyways. image.jpeg
    Anyhow there's some updates, sorta :)

And yes I'll brace the frame better before I yank that cross member ;)

kidcampbell71, Dannerr and drdave like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Holy cow Bret just sent me this photo, that's damn close to what I'm aiming for!
    image.jpeg

redzula, Lil'Alb, mctim64 and 5 others like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright quick update, not sure if I took photos of much of it yet though.

I got the old front crossmember out and am starting to clean up the new one. Noticed that the rivit holes are in slightly different places for a few of them. I think it's an earlier crossmember so the current plan is clean it up and mock it up in place to mark were the frame has holes and drill the cross meme we to suit.

Got the axle and the wishbone separated and one spring hanger cut off and about 70% trimmed and shapped. That shits beefy! Lots of working sculpting it but I'm sneaking up on it surely enough.

The other side I'm actually cutting the pan hard mount off and trimming the shackle mount to serve as a new pan hard mount. I am thinking I'll run cross steering so a pan hard would be helpfull. I'll mount it to the inside face so it stays all tucked in.... Or it won't work and I'll cut that off too. Still just trying to get a mockup together and some basic chassis work.

I also rounded up my 35 wheels and borrowed some beefy tires that were just taking up space in a friends shop for mock up rubber. They are slightly taller and a bit wider than what I'll run but they will work for what I need them for.

Either way got them mounted up so here's the rubber rubber rake for the car more or less :)

image.jpeg

drdave and AHotRod like this.
  7. Does Bret have any info on that car? Looks fantastic! :eek::)
    - But one of the major things about it though, is the 18" wheels... I'm really getting more and more confident, the 4.75-17/6.00-18 combo on my '30 tudor might be the best set of wheels for it. :cool:

I spy... a future TROG-winner with those threads! They're able to blast sand way behind! :D

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

9. flatout51

flatout51

Pretty sure Ricky Bobby Speed Shop built it. Or did a majority of the chassis work.

Sent from my SM-N900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. flatout51

flatout51

11. flatout51

flatout51

Tim likes this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks David :)

13. Actually having spent sometime in the sand you are better off with smooth tires. That is unless you have enough zot to really spin 'em. :D

@Tim my headlight bar is getting drastically altered, and I am not married to it. I can butcher yours as easy as mine and once done no one will know the difference if you would rather start with a 28/9 headlight bar. ;)

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'll keep that in mind Beano' the curve is growing on me. I can see the front clip in my mind pretty well right now but let's mock it up with both before you get yours set up

15. I can wait on mine, it doesn't have to be fit until I am wiring it up.:D

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

brought the brakes and some other bits home this weekend. Made some other smallish progress as well but havn't got it totally finished so I'll hold off posting that for a minute. You guys just want to look at the photos anyhow ;)

image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. Well you got cheated on that axle, it'll take you forever to fill all those holes.:D

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thankfully it's just on loan for mock up until we drop mine. Phew! You have any idea how much bondo it would take to fill those?!

19. And all the sanding. :D :D

Tim likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright slight update.
    We got the front crossmember swapped, I need to make sure it's nice and square before I lock it down but I think it's probably pretty close as it sits.

Got the wishbone pulled off the 46 axle and pinched to fit an A axle or for now the 32 axle I'm using for mock up until we drop my stock A axle.

Moved onto this 47-8 axle to get the spindles, had to get the hubs and brakes off before I could get to the king pins and have so far freed one spindle with the other maybe an hour away from being off. Those King pins are in there pretty tight and the remaining pin is even tighter that the first so best case senario it only takes as long as the first one with ol' John Henry @porknbeaner helping swing a hammer.

I that's probably about it, just tearing down old front ends and picking away at it. I am hoping to get the front and back main leafs reversed and the axle dropped this next weekend or the following.

That done I will clean everything and put the front suspension together, with F1 hubs and brakes up front. Swap the stock leaf pack off the rear axle, trim unnecessary stuff off the housing and bolt on my rebuilt pack.

With it rolling the plan will be to sit the motor and trans in place and bolt it to the torque tube so I can locate where everything needs to land. I'm using a stock A torque tube so for now I'm letting that dictate where everything lands forward of it.

I have a pretty simple front/ mid/ trans mount system worked out in my head that echos a Hurst mount and f1 crossmember line of thinking. I'll build it out of 1/4" plywood and then have a friend that has offered up some help fab it up out of steel.

The suspension and drivetrain in place I will bring the body home and pile everything onto the chassis for a clamped together mock up. I'm sure I'll pick at it over the winter but for the most part I've got some other projects I need to focus on over the winter
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  21. Those pins came to party. They definitely are not leaving without a fight. :D

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

IMG_3502.JPG And with a mighty swing ole' bean Henry beat the machine!

Spindles are free, bushings are out of one of them. My new kings pins, spring perches and etc showed up yesterday. Should be on target to have it on its wheels by the end of the month.

IMG_3507.jpg As a fun add to the the story I found the guys that found and dug up the frame we are using. His dad found me on instagram and I stole this photo he had posted. They ended up going a different direction and our mutual friend got the frame. Cool to know a little kid cut this out of the woods and drug it home!
    IMG_3108.JPG This 26 on A frame is their new project :)

IMG_3526.jpg And I'll end with a little stolen Instagram photo inspiration. No idea who's car this is as it's been circulating a bit online but I dig it

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Lil'Alb, Dannerr and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. LOL your axle and spindles divorced and I am free to peck at mine for a day or two.

@Tim good to see your progress by the way. You are the energizer bunny my friend.

[​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  24. Just removed a rear crossmember from my 29AA this week. Had to laugh at us folks fighting stuff fastened together by Henry Ford 88 years ago. He didn't want it coming apart - ever. Nice work on the pins.

Tim likes this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah ain't that the truth!

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

IMG_3570.JPG It's square!

Dannerr and drdave like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

IMG_3572.JPG
    Got the last of the bearings out of the second spindle and chased the threads on the spindles and my U bolts. Well, the backs anyways. The fronts look pretty toasted I might have to use something else than the ones I have.

Anyhow, one bite at a time right?

Oh, and my rear axle doesn't have legible numbers stamped on it but I spun everything and counted and I think I have the 3:79 ish ratio. Should be good with the tall tires I think :)

Dannerr and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. Progress is good Tim

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'll take what I can get :)

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Another inspiration photo I found, looking forward to getting this all mocked up soon

IMG_3601.JPG