Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Rear fender back on with a brace under it now, hub caps and some to small but better than cardboard mock up lights for you all.
    IMG_5224.JPG
    man that headlight bar needs dropped something feirce. Might switch to a 28/9 bar depending on which one I think I can get the most drop out of

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. The headlights are way up there for sure but that can be remedied. The sedan looks real good, way better now than mine will ever look for sure.

What has me concerned is how did a homely off goof ball like you end up with such a purdy wife. ;)

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Family secret ;)

4. three words, witness protection program

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

brEad likes this.
  5. LMFAO

If I was in WITSEC I would want to live with Tim, his fingers are as big around as my forearms and he aint fat. :D :D :D

6. flatout51

flatout51

Undropped headlight bar!!!! Leave em up there. Looks better than dropped IMHO

Sent from my SM-N900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

eh I'm not feeling them tall. I'm thinking a 7 inch light - which is about and inch and a half bigger than these- located about 3 inches lower than this. Roughly where my cardboard ones sat. I actualy messed with hanging them off the bottom of the bar instead of dropping it but it looked pretty silly.

I'll get the actual lights before I start messing with stuff but the head lights have gotta be in the "right" spot for me or a car just falls on its face.

I toyed with doing individual headlight stands off the rails but I fear the fenders would be a little floppy with no headlight bar tying them together.

8. flatout51

flatout51

The black coupe that Tardel and Ryan did had individual light brackets. Look at the build thread maybe it has pics of how he did it 1485399916351.png

Tim and Dannerr like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I love that car. And I totally forgot that it has split stands! I took a ton of photos of it when I saw it in Joplin I'll have to go back and review them.

The headlights are sitting pretty close where I'd like them, hell most of that car is pretty close to where I'd like it lol.

flatout51 likes this.
  10. verde742

verde742

11. Eh...I dunno, Tim. That's a nice looking coupe but a model A ain't a model A without a headlight bar IMHO.
    You'll get it scienced out.

Tim likes this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

As hard as I like throwing stuff around I feel like it needs the bar haha.

A flat bar would nearly put them in the right place, may end up making a new bar all together we'll see this summer. Baby's getting closer every day

13. flatout51

flatout51

I'll see if my dad still has the dropped bar he had you could borrow for mock up purpose

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That'd be cool man, give me an excuse to come visit and check out your new shop

flatout51 likes this.
  15. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Especially a full fender Model A, as the headlight bar is a major part of fender support

16. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I made this h/l bar from scratch. Speedway has the h/l cups in steel or stainless and the rest is solid 5/8 bar and flat strap welded up and smoothed. The headlites are guide 904s.

IMG_1013.JPG IMG_3712.JPG

juan motime, brEad and Tim like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@jakesbackyard that's pretty much what I had in mind lately and the photos help drive it home!

Also thanks for the heads up on the headlight cups, it'll keep me from cutting up something just to get the cups.

Might cut up a flat 28/9 bar to get it flat or might fab one all together. Probably a lot of mocking up in store for me

Any 3/4 front shots of the car together?

18. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

[​IMG][​IMG]http://www.jalopyjournal.com/mobile-gallery/4850668739213f5fbf81ed9a330a831f.jpg[/IMG

Working on the interior now.

Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=77983]The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/url]

juan motime, Tman and Tim like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dig it! I think I've been seeing you post on the model A hot rod facebook group

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So after looking at Jakes red sedan I went back threw some reference photos and like his sedan most of the cars that I like have the top of the headlight nearly even with the hood top to hood side line.

Think that's what I'll shoot for for now

21. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Somebody makes one shaped like this but not for 28/29. I can't for the life of me find a pic now. I always liked the look. Here is a pic of mine at a better angle when it was just spotted together and one when I primed it. No way to get a bolt in the bottom hole so I welded in a stud for a pin. Used a carriage bolt in the top hole. I put a slight dip in the bar similar to the one I always liked.

IMG_3448.JPG IMG_1012.JPG

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That subtle curve is nice. I had wondered about the bottom hole. I've seen others weld a nut into the bar end and bolt it from the inside but the stud and pin idea is clever.

Thanks for the help/ideas

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

And you've got the sockets for the lights welded to the back side? Would make it easier to make than putting them inline.
    Cool thanks again!

24. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Yes. The cups are welded on the back side. Seemed like the easiest way to keep the "smile" in the bar. The bucket is not as deep on 904 headlites so they don't interfere with opening the hood.

Tim likes this.
  25. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Bob from Newport Eng. made some like that at one time.

26. I feel the same way, it just doesn't seem right for an A not to have the bar. Funny how a thin little bar make or breaks the look.

Runnin shine likes this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Switched to an early bar and borrowed some 7 inch king bees for mock up. I dig the earlier bar but it still needs to come down a few inches

IMG_5276.JPG

Tuck, brEad and Dannerr like this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Spent some time sitting in it today trying to figure out where the steering wheel and seat need to be. Wanting to use a 46-8 steering column so I made sure I had room for a column shift with out hitting my knee.
    IMG_5392.JPG
    So far so good. Settled on dropping the headlight bar right at 3 inches and will do it the next chance I get. Noticed both the front and rear springs have settled enough to be sitting on the un trimmed spring tie bolts so when I take the car apart this summer to final weld some things and trim those bolts I'd guess it would come down close to another inch with out even adding the rest of the weight that'll make it a running car. Feeling confident that it should be plenty low with a good rubber rake.

Baby's coming soon so I'm trying not to do much more than pick at little things. Anyhow I'll keep y'all posted

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Dannerr likes this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man the stock headlight bar is growing on me.

And check this out! As I search for sound clips of dirt track cars with 2.5 Chevy or mercruiser's in them I found this! Sure looks like one to me. Anyone know this car? Plates look like japan?

juan motime likes this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wel the more I look at it the more that last video is not the same motor that in using.

Not much going on right now with it other than gathering parts. Next project will probably be swapping the valve cover.
    IMG_5599.JPG The plan has always been to dress it as an overhead valve converted flatfour. Part of that has been some sort of valve cover change and threw some murmerings a fronty cover was a n my head as an option.
    IMG_5597.JPG
    It's bigger in about every direction but it's got some features that make it a great choice. The first obvious one is the notches for the head bolts are nearly the same
    IMG_5596.JPG
    The second is that it's tall enough to clear the oval track cams I've been looking at.

I'm going to hopefully find time to make a mock up adapter to bolt it up in the next week or two before making it out of some 1/4 plate.

Plan right now is to center mount it with some brass wing nuts on top to hold it down.

I'll take some photos as we do it. Looks like it should take minimal fussing to make work

juan motime, OFT, slv63 and 7 others like this.