Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom Noller, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

Fellas - I'm in the process of timing a 350 SBC I rebuilt and have broken in. Would someone clue this dummy in on why the vacuum advance tube is pulled and plugged for fine tuning? If I'm using my light while the engine's idling, what difference should pulling the tube make (when, presumably no advance is needed)?
    See... told you I'm dumb!

2. 47ragtop

47ragtop

You want static timing set with the vacuum advance disconnected . Then when you reconnect the vacuum ,you will see the timing advanced by the vacuum advance mechanism. The factory static advance was usually about 4 to 6 degrees BTDC.

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Even when ported vacuum is utilized the factory procedure has always been to disconnect and plug the vacuum advance port. It's kind of a belt and suspenders thing, by doing this there is no possibility of vacuum advance interfering with setting the initial crank timing. If the idle RPM is high, then it will tip in to some degree (heh). But in practice at factory idle RPM there will be no vacuum advance, you can try it and see.

4. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

So, with the advance disconnected & plugged at the carb, I should set the mark to between 4 to 6 BTDC? And does it matter if the engine is warmed up or cold?

Truck64 likes this.

5. Depends on the engine. 4 to 6 for bone stock small horsepower, 8 to 12 for bigger power. Stop advancing and dual it back if you star getting kick back when starting.

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

This question covers a lot of territory, tho generally the initial timing can only be slightly advanced past stock spec before heavy pinging occurs (without first modifying the total advance of the distributor itself.)

This is one reason why folks send their distributor off to guys like Bubba to have them "recurved", the factory curve is very conservative. Guys will often spend big bucks on carbs and heads and intakes and exhaust but leave a lot of performance on the table because of the factory curve. If you're hauling loads of gravel to Kansas City the stock curve is OK but most people like a little more zip. I run around 17° initial in a low compression Y block and it runs great.