Register now to get rid of these ads!

Timing a Banger with a Wico Mag?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gemcityrenegade, Jan 11, 2013.

1. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

I have this '31 Model A all stock cept a Wico and a couple 97's. I'm having trouble finding a proper way to time it. I've got a light and know how to time sbc's but this is quite a bit different. I just took my beat to shit roadster for a test drive around the hood and it's back firing some air and gas out the carb. Not too cool with the windshield folded down. At least it wasn't fire in my face! I'm guessing it's the timing. It runs decent until it shift to 3rd gear under load then it spits at me.

2. casper

casper

I can't help you with the timing question, but you might have better luck posting it on the "banger" thread. One thing I do know... once you get the timing right, The hold down bolt needs to be super tight to keep that mag from jumping around.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You can static time it. I don't know how you find TDC on an A, is there a plug over the flywheel or however you find TDC.

Now you need to find the exact instant the points open, this can be done with a 12 volt test light, or by putting a piece of cigarette paper between the points and slowly turning the mag until it pulls out.

4. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Does a magneto even have points?

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Yes-It's like a distributor mounted on top of a generator. It provides it's own primary power exclusive of a battery.

6. Repost your question on the montly banger thread- you will get all the info you need :)!

7. Heo2

Heo2

you got one pin bolted to the transmission cover
    on front of the engine screw it out turn it around
    and put the sharp point in the hole turn the engine
    with the crank till the point grab the hole in the
    cam gear there is the ignition point now put a
    plug on no 1 lead turn the mag slowly till you
    get a spark

8. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

You need a TDC mark. If it has an A front cover (not a B) with the pin in the detent is exactly TDC. Make a mark on the front pulley and a pointer to it. With a flexible tape, like your wife's sewing tape, measure the circumference of the pulley and divide into 360 (degrees). mark the pulley in 5 or 10 degree intervals. Your Wico may not have any advance mechanism in it??? Set the timing with a light not to exceed 26 degrees, road test and adjust from there. If you've messed up your wife's tape, do not return it to her with grease on it, step up and buy her a new one, claim you lost her old one!