Register now to get rid of these ads!

Timeserts.... how to save your Threads!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sloppyseconds, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

I know everyone has been there. Striped a thread or two out of a block etc... Everyone always reaches for the cheap quick fix of a heli-coil. Nothing wrong with that but if you like the piece of mind and a strong insert system that you can use many many times please look up timeserts. They have saved me on multiple occasions. Im using a set of Flathead heads as a demo to show you the process. They make the kits in almost any thread size under the sun. So enjoy!
    IMG_9386.jpg
    Heres the head I started with
    IMG_8866.jpg
    Here is the buggered up spark plug hole. A previous owner had heli-coiled every hole and used all different depths. So out those came.
    IMG_9922.jpg
    Heres the head and what you get in the kit. There is a wrench, The seat cutter, The threading tap, the insert tool and the timeserts themselves.
    IMG_0725.jpg
    Here is the spark plug tap. It has a special pitch, you can not use a standard tap in these. Mine went in pretty easy seeing the hole was slightly oversized from the heli-coil tap. Remember to use a cutting fluid of your choice.
    IMG_2271.jpg
    Now run the tap all the way down alittle lower than flush with the top of the hole. I got two turns. Leave the tap in place becuase the seat cutter uses the tap for centering.
    IMG_7710.jpg
    IMG_5690.jpg
    Now slide the seat cutter tool over the tap and set the wrench into the slot of the cutter.
    IMG_4409.jpg
    Once you have turned the seat cutter around a few times, it will be ready to be removed. I also use a bit of cutting fluid for this too. Now you are ready for the insert.
    IMG_5092.jpg
    Now oil up your insert tool and screw the timesert on the end. I do it this way it makes it easier to start, but some people hand screw it in the hole then place their oiled insert tool into it.
    IMG_9473.jpg
    Now screw the insert all the way down. the seat in the head will stop on the seat on the insert. From this point on the turning action will get a little harder. What the tool is doing is forming the last few threads forcing the insert to expand into (in this case) the aluminum head.
    IMG_1939.jpg
    And here is the final product, ready for a spark plug. Very easy, very simple instal. I take my time and use lots of oil and make sure the keep everything clean. Hope you enjoyed this simple tech and hope I turned a few people on to this great helpful product.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

I've gotten a few PMs from people about sending me their parts to do. I can do the install for you if you want.

3. Ruiner

Ruiner

Another version of this system is the Keensert, which uses standard tap sizes and has 4 tabs that get pushed through the threads after the insert is screwed into place...they require extra room around the hole since they're a thicker wall insert, but after having used them in industrial situations I can vouch for them not failing and being easier to use...I like Timeserts in tight spaces where you don't have the room to put a larger diameter Keensert in...I absolutely hate Heli-Coils, especially in aluminum...

4. I use Keenserts in my tooling at work quite a bit. Really good for botched up helicoil repairs, like a last resort between a custom plug or scrapping the part.

I do use helicoils quite a bit too, I handle quite a bit of work day in day out using them, so I have that down to a science.

Bob

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

6. John Jukes, who invented Time-Serts had a shop around the corner from ours in El Monte. He got patents on his invention in the US, Europe, and Asia. Every piece in his kits, including the taps, is made in his own shop right here in the USA. I have Time-Sert kits in about 10 different sizes. They are by far the best thread repair inserts. John is a true genius.

7. koth

koth

Thanks for putting that explanation together, it is very clear and easy to follow. I didn't know about time-Serts before now!