Register now to get rid of these ads!

Throwout bearing/pilot bushing question...T5 to flatty

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquashThatFly, Aug 10, 2007.

1. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

Bought an adapter from Speedway yesterday to adapt my s-10 t5 to my 8ba. The tech on the phone was real helpful but i forgot what he told me as far as using a Ford or GM bearing to make the trans work with my motor. Im running the GM trans to Ford adapter plate, just mated to the Stock Flathead bellhousing (not the round one) and using stock flywheel and im assuming clutch. Just not sure what needs to be done as far as the bearing and pilot bushing. Can somebody shed some light on this for me as im learning this motor as i go.

i did a search for the answers but didnt come up with what i was looking for.

2. jetmek

jetmek

last one i set up that way i just had a bronze bushing made with ford flywheel od and gm id. works good.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I thought that Speedway was selling a bushing for that application. It's listed with their flathead to chevy bellhousing.

Frank

4. 41fastback

41fastback

I don't believe the "stock" Ford clutch will work on the t5. You
    would need a matching spline. I know Cornhuskers sells one.

5. Get you some measuring instruments and start looking at what parts you want to mate, soon it will be clear what skidmarks did, same with the clutch, you should be able to just change the disc to match the splines on the trans, the od(outside diameter) matching the ford clutch.

6. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

When I did my conversion 2 yrs ago I also got my kit through Speedway. If I remember correctly the pilot bushing came with the adapter plate, it may have had it's own part # but regardless speedway has it. You must use a T-5 clutch disk and the flatty's original pressure plate. The clutches are almost identical in diameter.
    I also ground about a 1/4" off of the splined hub on the clutch disk, this helped for full clutch disengagement.

7. FIRat

FIRat
    from MidWest

It would be wise to change the ball and fork as new units. Use anti-seize in the ball/socket of the fork assy. As repeated, you find the throwout bearing that will mate with the fingers of the pressure plate and the bearing fits the fork. The pilot bushing should be snug for both I/D and O/D fittings.
    Take cardboard, cut the center for the trans shaft. Make sure the cardboard covers the bell housing so you at least have a good chance of measuring instead of eyeballing. Subtract and add all the paper thickness (if app), then measure the pilot shaft fit to make sure you are at least 3/4's of the way inside the pilot bushing. You may have to adjust the bushing in or out to hold as much shaft into the bushing.

8. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

Thanks for all the help. You guys explained what i needed to hear. My car is halfway through the wiring process, so shit is everywhere, and it has no wheels on it to be able to move it where i can pull the stock stuff out and look for myself.