Register now to get rid of these ads!

Throw out bearing 1939 / 1948

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy32, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

After driving my 32 Hot Rod Lincoln for 125 miles I had to pull the engine out because of a trow out bearing that is going out due to no grease on the inside bought this one at So Cal. Has anyone experience the same issue as I have. I was thinking has anybody tried to drill a small hole on the edge of the trow out bearing so if you have to put some grease into it would not have to replace it than put a small plug to cover it up see picture below just a tought. Let me know if this make sense.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

These bearings, which fit 28-48 and beyond, are sealed units pre-greased at the manufacturer.
    Is the country of origin "CHINA"? That would explain alot. I've never seen this happen before but there is always a first time. We sold thousands and thousands of these bearings over the years from USA and Japanese manufacturers and never had a problem.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  3. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Believe it or not this one is made in the USA part # 5913 the word ( NICE ) is printed next to the part #.

Frenchy

4. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Here is a picture of where it was made. Very unsual for it to go out so soon.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The old bower/BCA [Federal Mougl] number was '2065' for one with a grease fitting it was '2065T '. But, yes those were normally grease filled for life. the one with the zerk was for lubing the trans nose as much as anything,truck use normally.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

We did this very thing on a new throwout just last month in a deuce.
    Drilled a small hole, applied grease with a needle gun and covered it with some epoxy to prevent loss of grease and infiltration of dirt.
    There is not enough grease in those things.

7. What pressure plate are you using with this ? and does it have the correct fingers for 1 3/8 T O Brg ? may not be fault of the new T O Brg

8. netclassics

netclassics
    from Sweden

Hi Were to find spare parts for Ford industrial engine 4 cyl sidevalve G28T that has "ordenary" bearings and full oil pressure system? It look like an model B engine and was fabricated until 1958. Was often used as pump motors for fire brigades and also in some Ford Köln trucks. If anyone has and engine I´m interested. Will put it into my model A. Yours Lars Sweden

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Try the classifieds. You will not get exposure for your needs on this thread.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This chapter of Rumbleseat's book covers the throwout problem and his technique of greasing them:

http://www.flatheadv8.org/rumblest/clutch.pdf

There is nothing left that you can just buy and install anymore...every new part seems to be a project involving reengineering someone's incompetence.

11. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

The pressure plate I am using is the same type as for a Ford V8 . Keep in mind that this clutch fits Lincoln V12 motor as no problems. Thank You for your input on this subject. Bruce thanks for the recommendation on the trow out bearing. I will drill a small hole tonight before I install the motor back in.

Frenchy