Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Through being cool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Mar 7, 2021.

1. mickeyc

mickeyc

That Sir is cool indeed!

The37Kid likes this.
  2. LOL I have never been cool and never cared.

I mentioned in a different thread that I am a form follows function type. If I am enjoy driving it and I am out running you I am happy as a duck. I do like my tail lights to be cool though. :D

Blues4U likes this.
  3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I agree, but quite often there are a lot of people who never get it quite right. I'm always amused by some of the things people do to show that they are "Kool". For some reason one of the current "fads" is to leave your shoes unlaced when wearing them. Today as I returned from making a purchase, the sun was shining and the temp was warm and the local grifters were enmasse on the corners with their homeless signs. One particular fellow was sporting the "Kool" untied designer tennis shoes look as he held up his sign. I was so caught up in his "Homeless but still Kool" look that I forgot to give him some money............. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    quick85, seb fontana and milwscruffy like this.
  4. High and Mighty is remembered for it's tricks to make it hook, you seem to forget it was built by Chrysler engineers.

It was one of the first cars to move the rear axle forward, it had adjustable four-bar rear suspension with a telescoping left upper link. It ran high 11s at 117 mph.

Lenny Boehler is remembered for being one of the best NASCAR modified owners, chassis men, and engine builders. His cars where fast and but the paint and bodies were awful, but sure looked cool in victory lane

upload_2021-3-13_12-21-45.png
    upload_2021-3-13_12-18-9.png upload_2021-3-13_12-19-51.png

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    thintin likes this.
  5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I like to fly under the radar. None of my junk is cool.

6. It's funny because I think Fonzie said that on Happy Days. For me, the less I talk the cooler people tend to think I am, simply because less stupid shit comes out my mouth.

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of us were just born cool! It's both a blessing and a curse...but "total coolness" is just something I've learned to live with:p

8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a time in this country, when would you see these haircut style charts, on the walls of the local barber shops . I always thought the " Flat Top " with fenders and the DA was cool ! YMMV

haircut style chart.jpg

milwscruffy and quick85 like this.
  9. Cool is subjective.
    To me a car with body mods with super shiny paint and a bone stock running gear isn't cool. Others could care less about a having a hot rodded drive line.

To me it is the fabrication, engine and chassis that make a car cool!
    I want to see a well detailed engine compartment, driveline and chassis.
    I get on my hands and knees to look at the chassis of a car at a show!

10. Gofannon

Gofannon

Ungainly looks and bad workmanship disappear with the sound of loud engine! Then it becomes "cool" (to the masses).

11. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You and I are obviously driven down the same highways by the same type chauffers, race the same type cars and do the same thing at car shows. I don't consider it cool though, just the way of life. My bassett hounds can't reach the pedals though.

Bloodhound in pickup.png

rod1, 40FORDPU and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Probably going to piss a few people off, but I think one of the UNcoolest things I see today is trying to be Cool by using letters to signify something instead of just typing what you mean. Things like "LOL' and all the other acronyms aren't Cool, to me they are just annoying. The harder someone has to work at being cool, the less likely they are to actually be cool. Just being yourself is the best way to be cool.:D

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

That letter stuff is a tip off that the guy is on a cell phone.

210superair and hotrodjack33 like this.
  14. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I dont spend any time worrying about being cool. I'm already convinced.
    Lifes to short to care if someone thinks I or my ride is cool.
    What's cool is living your life the way you see fit.
    As far as any haters
    GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!

ekimneirbo and The37Kid like this.
  15. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I haven't seen one of those charts in ages. Around here the flat top with fenders was
    called a "Hollywood". I had one before the Beatles and the Stones hit our shores. It's
    funny...when I was growing up I was kind of a shaggy kid that used Vaseline to hold
    my longish hair in place because my parents wouldn't give me dough for a haircut. In
    '67 and '68 it was like my old man wanted me to get a haircut every 48 hours. When
    freakdom started all of a sudden he had money for both his beer and my hair.

16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha that’s just a quick way to convey an emotion through text, it’s not meant to be cool. That concept dates back to the days of telegrams, which are most definitely cool.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WTF ? LMAO...IMHO;)

Blues4U, Rickybop, ekimneirbo and 3 others like this.
  18. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I really don't want to start anything here but, to me, that was very uncool.
    You've shot the opening volley of nastiness for no reason. You could have
    ended with "What's cool is living your life the way you see fit" and we all
    could have agreed on words well spoken. I'm not a hater but I really take
    exception to your closing line.

Beanscoot, Chicster and hotrodjack33 like this.
  19. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Pushing buttons, huh?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah Mitch, it's kinda what I do best:p.

21. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

When I look at my post I see it came off a bit harsh. A little over caffeinated this morning.
    Wasn't trying to offend. That's never cool

quick85 likes this.
  22. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Ah yes, acronyms, I dislike them also, except that I call them abbreviations because I use them in radio operations with Morse code almost daily and this has been standard practice for over 100 years.
    How many of you Non hams can decipher this?
    Fb om, ur QRK 5 Podunkville. Rg IC756P. Wir half w dpol. Bk

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Morse code the thing I could never master in Boy Scouts, left while in second class. What has it been replaced with in todays Scouting program?

Bob

24. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It will likely never be replaced as the basic form of electronic communication. It will get through long after all cell phones and digital communications have been destroyed.

25. indyjps

indyjps

Im in the middle of a long term frame off OT build. I dont think Ill go to this level or even do a complete paint job again.

My opinion - Killer stance, right wheel and tire package is needed to make a shitbox look like a built car with old paint. Ratty interior is a no-go, doesnt need to be new, but needs to be clean. Mechanical and wiring work needs to be well executed.

Really works well when the ride has some balls.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    quick85 likes this.
  26. What bothers me about acronyms is that I usually have to google the newer ones. :D

that said there are a couple that I kind of have to use, WTF? and LMFAO for instance. I kind of promised the Boss that I would try and refrain from dropping the F bomb a few years back. Now LOL is an entirely different story I am just too lazy to type Laughing Out Loud :D

Blues4U and hotrodjack33 like this.
  27. 1ton

1ton

I know one thing for sure. If I only had two hubcaps or wheel covers, I'd put them both on the drivers side.

tiredford likes this.
  28. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

First off you need to define looking cool. Do you want it to look cool to you or cool to other people? If your gonna try to pacify other people then yours or none of our pockets combined will keep up with that!!! Just do what makes u happy! Once at the drag strip there was alot of cool cars there but the only one we remember was the guy that went 3 rounds on a moped! Now he was cool!! I dont know what car even won that night but i remeber the moped man! So cool has many definitions! Good luck with the build!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-3-24_4-33-37.png
    Hello,

We were influenced by the top gas coupes and sedans that were winning all of the Gas Coupe/Sedan Class races. Doug Cook Tahitian Red 37 Chevy Coupe, K.S. Pittman 41 Red Willys Coupe, Jr. Thompson Black 41 Studebaker, etc. Those street legal cars were finished, running great and winning all of the classes with some quickness and power.

They looked like show cars with a tremendous amount of power to win races. So, it was a good model to set up our own backyard 1940 Willys Coupe with an SBC motor. Of course, we wanted it to look like the winning coupes and sedans. We got to work on our own build.

Part way through the build, my brother had an epiphany, he saw that our funds were slowly being depleted and started to think of other ways to finish or at least get the Willys Coupe running well. So, our plans changed.

We would now focus on getting the motor built, the running gear in place and any other body/frame modifications that were necessary to have a great running hot rod that we could drive on the street, legally. So, the headers fed into a muffler system to stay legal.

His idea was to get it running first and when it was running to his/our satisfaction, then we would consider finishing it with full upholstery and a nice paint job. The wheels and tires would also be included, once we got the 1940 Willys Coupe running close to what we considered being competitive and getting noticed.

Who cared what the Willys Coupe looked like, it was painted a red primer and had black wheels with blackwall tires. It was that way to give off the attention of being an intimidating competitor in the gas coupe and sedan classes. It was cool to have a finished coupe/sedan running in the competitive gas coupe/sedan classes, but those other winning coupes/sedans had been at it for quite some time. Sponsorships helped finish their hot rods for competition locally and nationally.

Jnaki

We had been getting most of our speed equipment from our friends at Reath Automotive and they were responsible for getting us to the next level of racing with our 1949 Willys Coupe. It was the consistent offer of a chain 671 blower drive for our SBC motor that would push us over the top speeds and e.t. in the classes. So, we kept at it thinking this was cool.

Our local auto parts store down the street from our house gave us parts we needed at cost, they would be one of our first named sponsors. That was very cool. We were hoping for a Reath Automotive name on the rear trunk lid and hood if we got the chain driven blower drive.

Decisions had to be made. My brother was working all of his angles and came up with the 671 Isky Gilmer Belt Drive and show everyone how intimidating our new re-build of the 283 ci to 292 ci SBC motor would be with the 671 and carbs on top.
    upload_2021-3-24_4-34-51.png
    When we fired up the 40 Willys Coupe with the 671 sticking up on the SBC motor in the pits, everyone came over to see the latest build from the two brothers. Was it impressive? For us, just anyone noticing our build and the power the SBC motor emanated was good enough. But, now my brother was already looking into the future, with added speed parts for better speeds and times.

Perhaps a national record is in the future, since we were so close with this new 292 cubic inch SBC motor set up. (his plans were already in the making as the necessary parts were all ready and waiting for us in a warehouse garage in Los Angeles, waiting for us to come and pick them up, new wheels/tires, new two port injectors, etc. )

Now, that was a cool goal…

hotrodjack33 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  30. it was kinda cool here this morning earlier......supposed to warm up.

hotrodjack33 likes this.