Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods THREE SPRINGER , 3 SPRINGER picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, Apr 24, 2011.

1. bct

bct

2. BCT, that is coming along very well! What a seriously fun little build. I'll betcha the "smiles per miles" will be way up there with this one!:D

3. bct

bct

thanks don. should be fun shaking it down on the dirt roads then off to osoyoos for the wine country drag racing . should be the slowest car there . if I pass.

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Fastest does not = funnest.

bct likes this.
  5. bct

bct

HPIM2441.JPG HPIM2443.JPG

worked on the timing lever and bracket .mocking up the pressure pump on the right. not much else.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I came across a 1919-1920 Essex 4 cylinder F head and tranny. These things put out 55 hp and won Pike's Peak in 1923. They completed a 50 hour endurance run of over 3000 miles with an average of 60.7 mph. Thats 6 Indys back to back in 1922! It will be going in a 3 springer built mostly with left overs from my '26 Chevy roadster build. If any one has another one of these or some parts please let me know. Not much of an Essex source out there. I found the Essex- Hudson site. I need a cap and rotor, two rocker oilers, a glass tube for the oil level indicator, and a top plate for the carb. It has been stored inside and it turns over. It could be a lot of fun.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pike's Peak car (too many springs)
    [​IMG]

Lil'Alb, j-jock, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Cool! That's a great hotrod seed you got there. Should make some neat noises. :)

8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks, I'm excited about it. I'd like to know who owns this one. It is later than mine. In 1922 they changed the head and moved the spark plugs to the exhaust side and lowered the compression. This has nice headers, bigger rocker oilers, an alternator, and I don't think the distributer is a Delco. I'd like to see the intake side. The engine would lend it's self to a speedster but I like the 3 springer idea as it is more "hot rod" to me.
    [​IMG]

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That ignition looks like a Wico.

10. bct

bct

sweet looking engine. I like the oilers .I wonder if the concept is adaptable to my 171

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I haven't had the cover off yet but I think it is just an oil soaked wick. I found an instruction book for the Essex Model A. It doesn't mention the oilers at all. I bet a similar setup could work on a Chevy but I don't know if it would be better. The Essex only has the intakes in the head so only 4 rockers to oil.
    My electrical is all Delco, ignition,starter and generator. In '21 or '22 the distributer was changed to American Bosch. These engines were only used from 1919-1923 and the first two or three years are said to be the best. By the way a friend is going to cast a duel carb intake for the '28 Chevy. What do think the best carb mount would be. Do you think down or side draft would be best?
    [​IMG]

bct and volvobrynk like this.
  12. bct

bct

I would say down draft as there are more options?

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Lots of motorcycle carbs and SUs out there (even some Carters like they used on the turbo Corvair) if you want to go side suckers. They do give a nice vintage touch. The other option would be updraft. :)

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Zenith still makes up-, down-, and side-draft carburetors brand new. They're not cheap, but you can tailor them to your application and they have the look.

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your doing an amazing job with your build, so glad to see something 'outside-the-box'.

bct likes this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

17. KKrod

KKrod

Here are a couple more modifieds ModifiedFlatOut.jpg 221SmallBW.jpg for inspiration.

brEad, Okie Pete, bct and 1 other person like this.
  18. willymakeit

willymakeit

Think I will blatantly steal some ideas for the 27 Hudson cowl I found.

19. charlesf

charlesf

Not to hijack the thread, but last year I posted a couple of pics of my "eight springer" modified. Surprisingly (to me) a couple of folks commented. Ergo, a couple of more recent pics follow: IMG_3924.JPG IMG_3928.JPG IMG_3930.JPG

20. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Stumbled upoun this thread while searching modifieds and three springers. Any more pics of 3 springers? Or info on construction?

bct likes this.
  21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wow, timely. I've been thinking about something similar myself - based on the Miller Indy Cars of the 1930s and Hollywood Hot Rods' interpretation thereof. Cool!

22. bct

bct

[​IMG]

Made a mount for the tank and salvaged a fuel filter from a late 20s chev truck i picked up for $50

[​IMG]

battery is in. Almost ready for a start up as i got a mint tillotson from the Vernon swap.

[​IMG]

parts!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

too bad the rockers are pooched. I still need a few that aren't brazed together.

Okie Pete and volvobrynk like this.
  23. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Maybe someone can help me with something I've been pondering on.. I've got a whippet frame, I am unsure of the year of the frame but all the front suspension is still there. Well, except for it being modified as a farm trailer decades ago, but the axle and springs are there. The back of the frame has been stripped so I see it as a perfect candidate for a 3 springer build. My question is, what can I do for spindles and hubs on this axle? The original hubs have been welded to the wheels and there are no brake components left worth mentioning.

24. bct

bct

Id start by measuring the king pin angle . If you can find a replacement then cut the welds on the spindle (sacrifice spindle) then metal finish axle.

25. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Thanks, I'll definitely do lots of measuring before I start tearing anything apart. Would it be possible to have it machined to accept a more commonly available kingpin and spindle? And then have the axle adjusted if the angle isn't right where it needs to be? Or is that asking for trouble? I like the whippet axle and the fact it came with the frame. I have a chevy parallel leaf front axle as well that I could replace it with if need be, but I really want to figure out a way to salvage the whippet axle if at all possible. I'm just a little worried about the availability of whippet parts..

26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I bet that you can find something more plentiful that you can adapt. With boring and bushings there are lots of potions. Who knows someone probably has a whole Whippet front end taking up space. Check out eBay there are some spindles and hubs listed right now.

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

bct, Are you still looking for '28 Chevy rockers? I ran across 5 sets today. Those were just the ones sitting in one place on a shelf. I went to a friend's to pick up springs for my '26 roadster and he started showing me his Ford T and Chevy 4 stash. I could not get a price from him. He said "What does he have to trade.?"

He's the only guy I know who got a ticket for 90 + mph in a T with a T engine. His '25 Chevy racer is almost running. I forgot to take my camera.

bct and volvobrynk like this.
  28. bct

bct

Thanks for remebering. i sent you a pm.

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I got it, Thanks. I forgot to take my camera but here's an old picture of His Chevy with an Olds head. He made the side plates, rocker covers, and headers. Also his detuned T speedster.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    mark schanfeldt, volvobrynk and bct like this.
  30. bct

bct