Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thoughts about WyoTech?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Special Ed GT, Nov 11, 2004.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]
    Thank you Brickster. As much as we'd like to think otherwise, people do make snap judgements on appearance. First impressions matter whether it is a "Muffy" or a guy looking to have some work done. I would grant that if you have your own shop, you can look however you want to - and, work does speak for itself. A crapped out shop run by a grungy looking charactor is not going to attract the majority of people. A clean shop run by the same grungy guy would not face that snap judgement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok now if you don't conform to the WyoTech dress code you're "grungy"... That's pretty f#cked if you ask me. So no if you have piercings and tattoo's or long hair you're dirty. that's some BS sterotyping right there...

And the other comment about "who has long hair now?" That's some BS right there as well. I know a few bike builders that are seriously good fabricators with long hair. Don't make snap judgements you never know who you're judging or what their skills are...

2. Merge

Merge

GT, I am currently in my 8th month at Wyotech, I went through the collision/refinishing program and am currently in the street rod coarse and will continue to take ASM and the trim class. It seems that you are pondering the reasoning behind taking a 6 month core coarse just so you can get into the specialty coarses?

From my experience, the collision refinishing coarse did wonders for my very very basic sheet metal skills that have greatly aided my extended learning in the street rod and custom fabrication coarse. I can truly say that the six months of collision/refinishing was money well spent in preparation for the street rod coarse. The principles taught in my core classes relating to welding, sheet metal work, painting etc have definitely aided me in my recent success on the street rod tests as well as shop work. Yes, a bit of the material covered in street rod may seem to be a bit redundant to a student who just completed the collision/refinishing core BUT even taking classes on something that you may have a bit of knowledge about doesnt mean that you arnt gonna learn something new. hell I've taken the same coarse multiple times at a university (not automotive related) just because of different instructors teaching the coarse and have learned something new EVERY time! Im not saying that the street rod coarse doesnt teach anything new from the collision/refinishing coarse, because they definetly do teach all kinds of new principles, its jus that a lot of the basics of the core coarse are reviewed thats all.
    I think what Im trying to tell ya is that even guys who have owned a shop for 40 years and have welded, painted, or whatever that whole time still don't know it all and quite often have been doing some of that work wrong for just that many years. The greatest princilpe that I have witnessed at Wyotech from the instructors is to get a student headed in the right direction and make them aware of all the little mistakes that take place in the field that can be avoided with just some time and consideration. I recently had an instructor really make me see the light on being open minded and learning the basic mistakes in a shop when he was telling a story about being a young graduate of a welding school and went to work in a shop with a guy who had welded for 40 years. I'm sure you all know the type "You can't teach me a thing, I been doing this for 40 years!" My instructor told him "Who cares, you been doing it wrong for 40 years!" My instructor said that it wasnt that the guy was a bad welder, but he hadnt been educated in the standard way of doing a certain weld and in his mind thought that he was doing it correct all those years. Its that kind of thing that I have really seen instructors stress and appreciate because once you are aware of what the rights and wrongs of something are then it just sets you that much farther ahead of the pack. That is if you always carry an open mind toward learnign something new about your trade and never a "you can't teach me something cuz I been doing this forever" attitude. Just my 2 cents on this, GT if you have any other questions just PM and Id be glad to help ya out in your decision to attend the school.

3. Merge

Merge

As far as the dress code, it is my understanding that the advisors to Wyotech, (employers in the industry) are the ones who request employees who are clean shaven with a straight-laced personal apperance when seeking someone for employment. Now I don't agree with that completly and by no means does ones skill level have anything to do with their personal appearance (thats my opinion), BUT I do respect that the school tries to instill this type of personal presentation in the students due to the requests of the advisors. By the way since the advisors are employers they are the ones who will be putting money in students (as technicians) wallets after graduation and when you work for someone you usually have to sacrifice something anyway so if its ones personal appearance then so be it. All I can say is that I can see the theory behind it and that the school isnt the one who is ultimately making these requests, its the industry that is making it known what they look for in a potential employee and YES appearance is a factor that they stress upon.

4. 8 out of 10 students come out of there just as dumb as they went in...Just my opinion anyways..lets see ...last night i worked on a car worked on by a wyotech student..the car was missing a top rad hose clamp...alternator was junk.timing was way off..carb was out of tune, valve cover leaked...oh yeah but he's a "Tech"!! hahaha LMAO

5. Merge

Merge

I don't know about your 8:10 statistic, but I can agree with you in a way. I see a lot of students already who sure talk the talk but am pretty sure they can't even find their shoes yet, I think a lot of guys let the "tech" or "graduate" thing go to their heads, but don't get me wrong there are some damn talented students here. Most of them are the type who are always willing to learn and keep that open mind of improving themself in their trade. never to whine or pout about making a mistake, they take what they can from the mistake and move on,and I think thats the key to anyone who is learning anything!

6. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

[ QUOTE ]
    Django - The school is designed and run to teach the students not only the trades, but general work ethics. Classes operate much like ordinary workdays do, with brief breaks for lunch, smokes. Students are expected to be on time, dressed appropriately and behave as professionals. It's all kind of a boot camp. This way graduates will have not only the skills but the work ethic. It is surprising how many people lack that even if their skills are really good. That is one element that I think sets WyoTech apart. Graduates really do understand what employers expect. The piercings/long hair things are partially safety issues as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the MOST important thing!!!! Work Ethic. Most folks dont have it.I WILL REPEAT...DONT HAVE IT!! Being professional is damn near #1. When we open our Custom Shop next year, you can bet thats where we start looking to hire from. Hiring your buddy is the WORST thing to do. Also get perfect grades. We have a few resumes from MMI come through and these guys have like 84%, 90% and 75%. If this is your life goal, then you better score 100%!!!

-Jason

7. Merge

Merge

Oh GT the other major factor that the school stresses that plays into the work ethic principle is ATTENDANCE!!! And it stands to reason, cuz if you don't show up consistently to class then who says that you are gonna be showing up to work everyday? The school really stresses this and are not shy about taking points for missing class and I believe this is a very positive part of the Wyotech experience! It can really make the difference when applying for a job because who cares how good you are at something, if you arnt there to do it then it is really meaningless then.

8. Barn-core

Barn-core

OK, I graduated Wyotech about six months ago. My opinion, I'm still undecided. I did learn alot, and I did get a job afterward, no thanks to their "career placement", I just don't know if it was worth what I paid. The Street Rod class was a review of collision/refinishing, with fancier tools. If you do have basic knowledge save your money. If you have any questions you can P.M. me. Barn-Core.

9. trey

trey

i only live a half hour from wyotech, and im dumber already!

im just kidding, i dont need a mob at my front door. unless they want to talk cars.

trey

10. Brickster

Brickster

[ QUOTE ]
    i only live a half hour from wyotech, and im dumber already!

Trey

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true, Cheyenne is more than half an hour away.

11. trey

trey

ok, 45 minutes?

12. I personally have never been to the school -but have talked with and corresponded with several of their students.
    I feel like they have qualified instructors and a solid curricuilum[sp]for that matter.
    I dont envy them in that their job is not a simple one..
    I think it would not be possible to turn every person who signed up and paid the tuition to attend WyoTech ,into a qualified custom car builder.
    Sure you are gonna have some "naturals" who can easily absorb all the skills that are put in front of them,Then you will have another that no matter how much effort is put forth -that never quite makes the cut.
    Whether it be from lack of natural physical skill or even in some cases a lack of dedication on the students part.
    If they are lucky they can prepare even that student to be at least an entry level employee,capable of progressing from that point to eventually becoming a skilled practitioner of that occupation.
    However the verdict on WYOTECH is in the end -I believe they do serve a good purpose and many will benefit as a result.
    If I had one complaint -it would be that technical schools in general need to better represent an ACCURATE depiction of what the real world job availability situation is.

13. As in every bastion of "higher education" be it Universities, Tech schools or barber school you need to realize when you are done that you dont know shit! All you have is a pice of paper that shows you can commit for X amount of time. Thats the one thing you learn with age and experience. Dont get me wrong, going to something beyond high school is a good thing to do, so is a couple years of Military Service but it doesnt ENTITLE you to the big money or make you better than some kid that worked his way up from pushing a broom.

Also, to some extent, you cant teach certain people certain tasks. I dont care how good a school is, some folk just cant do it. Be it law school or Wyotech.

Brickster, you guys need a course in tactfully telling a customer each week his bill is 5K [​IMG], those guys in the back need their paychecks and dont like Ramen, yes you really did order all those parts!

14. trey

trey

i think the idea of the school is great. i for one am not a student of wyotech, so i cant say how good it is, or how bad it is. but im glad to see a school that can keep hotrodding around for many years.

and lets face it, education is expensive. i know not everyone in the world can teach themselves.

i have gone out there for the open house. i think its great to walk around the shop and see the projects that the students build. its almost something i look forward too every year.

just my thoughts.

trey

15. demonspeed

demonspeed

I plan on going there once i get out of high school (2006). Im taking classes now in auto mechanics at BOCEs. The only problems i have with it so far is the cost and i can't decide whether to take auto mechanics or auto body there. Anybody got an opinion on this? I plan on working in hot rodding so which would be more applicable?

16. Demonspeed-Verse your self in BOTH fields as much as you can NOW and then at the time you graduate pick the one you feel you need help in to specialize in.
    Also seek help and knowledge in Wiring/electronics and computer controlled drivetrain systems.

17. Demonspeed, you might want to tour some local shops. Talk with both bodymen, and mechanics. Bodywork and mechanics are two very different occupations. The demand for quality skilled techs is high for both. You might want to base that decision on what suits your personality and interests. I've spent 30 years in collision repair, restoration, and street rod field. Now I get to teach what I've done for so long. I've enjoyed my career, and couldn't imagine doing anything else. But I know lots of bodymen, and mechanics that are very unhappy in their work. Body work in perticular, is hard, dirty, physical work. It takes a blend of mechanical and artistic skills and aptitude. Find what fits you, and you'll be sucessful and happy.

18. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

Merge, thx for the post. That definitely answered my question about the need to take the core program. It seems like the core collision course will provide a good baseline for the street rod course. If I decide to do this, I'll just need to get comfortable w/ the $$.

I'll let y'all know how this turns out.

19. GomezGarage

GomezGarage

Cut my hair...To be a mechanic...What the fuck. I can't even believe that is a requirement. So now if Ive got tatoos and long hair Im unable to learn? Who the hell do they think they are? Your better off going to a REAL university anyway.

20. ray

ray
    from colorado

so i guess smoking pot while working and beer fridays are out?:(

what about "hamb time" in between work sessions? [​IMG]

hey HARPOON: do you realize how fucking hard you made it to read this thread? it'd be mighty white of you to edit your post.$$$$$

21. So it is Harpoon that mde me Duct Tape 3 monitors together to read this thread?! Tie him to the bumper and drag him! [​IMG]

22. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I think that most any school can only teach basics and good habits, real word experience is where you get good. I am a self taught welder and was blessed to be tutored by some great old timers. I have never attempted to certify but have had guys come to work with me that were fresh out of welding school with general certification and barely knew more that it makes a bright flash when it came to real world application. There is just no substitute for burning rod but if you don't have the basics and good habits you can burn a ton of rod and still be a crappy welder. Same goes for other crafts.
    And on dress codes. Part of that in a school is for safety. You really can't have a bunch of baggy cloths and long hair around lots of moving stuff. Ever see long hair get caught in a lathe?
    And you can disagree with stereo typing all you want but it's still there. You only get one chance to make a first impression and that impression is yours to choose.
    Even back in the 70's when we all wore long hair, we knew when we went job hunting it was time for a haircut and a shave. No sense shooting yourself in the foot just to prove you are rebellious to the establishment. After you had a job landed and they knew what kind of work you did, you could usuially hair out and put the ear ring back in.

23. As far as the dress code and appearance issue is concerned- I can see both sides.
    As a younger man I probably would not have got several jobs if I had applied for them.
    I had long hair as many of the time did.
    I did not have any tats.
    I will say this of that generation I was a part of and also of this generation,[whatever its initial is to differentiate it from ours].....Respect is not standard equiptment -its an option.....if you wanna stand on your own ,you can[be self employed] -
    But if you are depending on being hired to make it you must be someone the employer feels good about hiring.
    that is up for debate as to what that involves-so put yourself in his place and you will see why they want[and have a right to]have a certain image projected in -THEIR- work place.

24. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

[ QUOTE ]
    And think about it....WHO has long hair, anymore? Name me ONE hot rod or custom icon or current practioner that has huge hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

just sturrin up shit here,but Larry Grobe has a pretty HUGE pomp (makes him close to 7 feet tall) and he's a current practioner [​IMG]
    creepy

25. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

oh yeah..almost forgot to add,in the biker world..what about billy lane and his FUGGIN HUGE hair?just bustin yer chops [​IMG]
    creepy

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Personally I think if you just saved your 30gs and swepted floors at a real rod shop and helped when you could, in no time you'd know more than what wyotech could teach you.

[/ QUOTE ]

$30k would also buy a lot of tools.

Any shops in Denver need a floor sweeper with his own metalworking equipment? [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Does it really cost $30,000 to go there???

27. sure does......

28. For me, it is Just under $23,000 for 9 months...6 months of collision/body refinishing and 3 months for Business Management. PLUS figure in at least another $5000 for your housing and other living essentials. In PA I just got into a house where I get a bedroom, and there is a full kitchen bath and washer-dryer. Cable and A/C not included, otherwise all utilities covered. It cost $300 for the deposite and is $375 a month. I got lucky with it only being 5 minutes from campus. The regular dorms are 14 miles away! That should give you more of an idea about how it goes. If I took all the classes I wanted to, I would be an easy 50 grand in debt.

29. poop

poop

Howdy Special Ed Gt,

Education is expensive if you sweep floors in a Hot Rod shop or if you go to school.

You should also check out VC Tech in Alabama they now have a Sheet Metal & Chassis Fabrication Class.

When I went to tech, I got my mony's worth!!

POOP

30. Well, i see both good and bad thoughts on wyotech here, i also heard them at school. I recently graduated, in september from wyotech. I was enrolled in both auto tech core class and street rod. When i went, my dad being a mechanic for 30 yrs, myself being a car nut since i was 16, already v8 swapped an s-10 and making it run 12's, the auto was still great. I knew nothing of fuel injection, some of the damn computer systems, lots. I thought i new alot, until i went there, and i know SOOOOOOOOOOO much more now. I just took auto cause i had a background, while the only reason i attended the school was for streetrod.

So i went in, and found myself and about 4 others the only "auto tech" core class kids, surround by all the red shirts(collision refinishing). Well, that still didnt get me down, except alot of them had more experience, but that was cool. Keep in mind, when i entered this school, i had never touched a welder, or tried to bend a piece of metal. So, first 6 weeks went by, i built a miniature roll pan, mailbox(i know they sound dumb, but trust me, they were good learning experiences), and had to master, and i mean almost frickin be perfect mig, alum and steel tig, and oxy welding. second 6 weeks came, first week being lecture, then, 2nd week was the start of the 5 month shop scramble. I call it that as you if you brought your own project in, 5 weeks to make it ready to roll out. Now keep in mind, i had only been through 7 weeks total of street rod.

i decide to roll, well, actually drive my 65 chevy panel in, for a 6" chop. People and instructors said i was crazy, it was a big job, and i wouldnt get it done. so a friend and i chopped it 6", i cut the glass myself, made the back windows only 3" smaller, and got it all done in the alotted time(i finished my windshield 2 min before last cleanup, lol. So yeah, i got it done, and people were impressed, mostly myself. TO think 2 months prior i couldnt turn a welder on. I migged and tigged the whole thing, and i think it turned out great. I then drove it 1200 miles home.

These days, i get more and more compliments on it, and people asking "hey, who did the chop for you?". WHen i tell them me, and im only 19, they ask how, i tell them "Wyotech". If it wasnt for Wyotech, i wouldnt be even close, id be mowing lawns for a living.

So you ask what about the dress code and whatnot. Ok, neat hair(who wants to look like they just woke up all the time), no goatees or sideburns below ears(I had joe dirt burns, and a goatee, oh well, its hair, it grows back), shirt tucked in, no holes in pants, no piercings, oh well, so you look neat. Tatoos, they have no problem with them. Keep in mind this is all set by employers, who hire the grads, they make the majority of the rules. They do stress the dress code, and i think they should.

Attendance - yeah, they stress that too. If you miss 25 hrs in a phase(6 weeks) your gone, have to rephase. If you are .5 sec after the bell, your late, thats points. YOu arrive, have 3 breaks, then lunch, then 3 breaks, then leave. Thats 8 chances a day for a tardy, better have a good watch. I myself had perfect attendance, no tardies or absences for the whole 9 months, yeah it was tough but show a potential employer that you had 9 months straight perfect attendance, that will make them smile.

Thats aboutall i have to say, Wyotech is a great school, with great instructors. I have to say thanks to Brick(Brickster), Dan D., Mark H., Thomas, and everyone else there, if it wasnt for you, i wouldnt be nearly as Cool as i am today, lol. Nah, really though, thanks alot, i owe you guys. Attached are a few pics of what i did while i was there. Enjoy!

Attached Files: