Register now to get rid of these ads!

thought some HAMBers might like this car...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carbs & Chrome, Jun 5, 2006.

1. You are mistaken with the period correct part, I never built it to be that. What I mean is it is built better than period correct. I have many Friends with cars that are now just as they were 50 and 60 years ago. They are neat as hell and look cool as any thing But you start looking at them close and they are so scabbed to gether and such butch jobs I would not want to go down the road at any speed. Shit this was the norm of the time. When you ask why did you build them like this you get back, "fuck we didnt have money and this shit was built with trash from the scrap yard and the oldmans buzz box and some 6011"

So thats the way almost all the cars built back then. my old man was there and I have seen pics of the stuff they did.

So to traditionaly "FAIL" is a complement. I thank you.

2. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

hey Brian...
    I love your ride it looks like a lot of fun. You built your ride for you that what makes it cool.
    Bill

3. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

-Building scabbed together rods/customs has nothing to do with being "period correct".
    -You can lay down some real nice welds with a buzzbox...a bad weld is a bad weld.
    -The tradition of hot rodding & a "period-correct" build are completley different things

You successfully built a car for YOU....it's not neccesarily like they did it back in the "good 'ole days" so therefore it isn't era-specific or period-correct. The engine choice from a hot rodding point of view is different....is it the fastest? no...was it the most popular choice of hot-rodders back then? no (and probably for a good reason). None the less you built a car for YOU.....you're a part of the "it's my car and i'll build it anyway i want to" crowd....which is a good crowd to be in

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  4. cool as hell. :)

5. Some people preach the book but just dont get what its all about.

Nothing built today is like it was then, no matter what it is.
    Tradition is what you make it out to be as there are so many to chose from even when building cars. They are all jalopys, witch to day is pronounced rat rod, hot rod, or any other name that brings to mind the art of rodding. Some like chrome and some like billet. to each thier own.

BTW , its faster than you think.

6. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

I keep getting the impression through your previous posts that you think that everything built back then was shabby compared to today's standards. I'm pretty sure there were some solid builds back then...look at the metal work on the polynesian, or any of the Valley Kustom cars. The sturdiness of a kent fuller dragster or a Harmon internally sprung girder. There were a lot of good solid builds back then. Yes as time goes by technology improves but back then they were innovative.

Oh i'm sure it's the fastest motor in the world, hell I'm sure Ray Brown tossed those Chrysler's in the trash as soon as he stumbled across this particular packard...right?.
    Like i stated before....you built a car for YOU...it is a cool ride...it is built real well..i'm sure it's a blast to drive...but when the title of THIS thread is "thought some HAMBers might like this car" you're gonna get some criticism...some good some bad.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  7. Not my thread, but the tittle never said "so what do you think?"

How did you know its the fastest engine in the world? I never released that info yet.

Love it or hate it I really dont care. I never asked for your 2 cents.
    With your stated opinion I have to ask, do you own a car or cars and if so did you build them? Or are you just a cyber rodder wanna be?

With 84 posts this month I have to say I think you cant back your opinion with any thing but BULLSHIT.

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!
    Way to shut him down Brian!!! :D

9. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

-I'm pretty sure i said that i thought your car was cool...i just meant i understand why some on here would have a problem with it. In THIS thread, the way you've reacted to negative criticism made me elaborate a little.

-I didn't know that the amount of knowledge one had on cars depends on how many posts you have on the HAMB...if you're a member of the HAMB you're a "cyber rodder"...right?

ONCE AGAIN....I THINK YOUR CAR IS COOL....NOT EVERYONE WILL FEEL THE SAME WAY
    AND ONCE AGAIN I'LL SAY IT...YOU'VE BUILT THE CAR THE WAY YOU WANTED TO...THAT'S GREAT.

10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

i like your car and your way of dealing with the shit some tend to let dribble from their mouths

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I disagree, shouldn't shoot the ignorant just because they don't understand something as cool as that. :D

You "hope that came out as intended"? How presumptous! "Cleaning it up" would not lend one iota of "quality" to that build. It stands on it's own, as it is.

Of course; Hot rod Packard, cool ride, keep on keepin' on!
    Love them inlines.

12. Lizard

Lizard
    from Benson Az

Brian, saw your car at Bonneville and it seemed to always have a crowd around it.
    Lots of cool ideas done well, awesome hot rod.
    Dale

13. Oh i'm just having fun with all this..
    Thank you all for the great comments good and bad.

14. Monster Rat

Monster Rat
    from Casper WY

I saw this car in Bonneville and it was probably my favorite car there. The powerplant is cool as hell. I'll share the road with ya anytime.

15. I was at Speedweek in '09 and saw this roadster cruising Wendover. All I can say is "BADASS"

16. ChopperDavez

ChopperDavez

Just read this whole thread and looked at all the pics and the youtube videos. Very Kool!!! I like the car but I LOVE that new motor with the four carbs and split intake supply tube. Now I gotta find a straight eight...

17. Maybe he has magnesium drag plates. :D

I'm a little curious about how much boost it makes.

18. nummie

nummie

Hot Rod Packard- just wanted you to know that your car is what inspired me to hack up my willys jeep. I love your packard. The craftsmanship is astounding and inspiring. I just hope mine turns out half as good as yours!! Bravo good sir, bravo!

19. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

looks like a r@t rod

20. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Man, this came back from the dead!

Lot of keyboard warriers with negative comments, but fuck em!

I love the car Brian. supercharged Packard- VERRRY cool! I hope when I'm at Bonneville next year, that I'll get to see it.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hahahaha!!!!!

22. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Hey Brian, I chatted with you about your Rod at B-ville and you were rightly proud, and still humble about it. I was just as impressed with the builder, as I was with the car. My favorite part: The F-100 hood stood on end and trimmed to become the rear of the body. Truly ingenious

23. jroberts

jroberts

I had not seen this thread until this evening. I really love this car. Brian, you have a right to be very proud of "YOUR" car. I love the evolution of the engine. I know the present supercharger is a McCulloch, but was the orginal supercharger a McCulloch as well? If not what was it?

I was just given a McCulloch and I think I know where a straight 8 Packard might be......ummmm let's see what could I put them in?

24. Funny how this pops up now and then. Thank you guys for the kind and some not so kind comments. Hard to rub every one the right way.
    The most boost I can get is 3-1/2 pounds now cause of horrible belt slippage. A total pully arrangment will be done this winter. 38 Flatty, We will be seeing you next year for sure.
    JRoberts, The blower is still a Mcculloch unit. VS57 with the variable pully removed now and some later parts from a paxton including a wicked impeller. I have bug and belt issues but even with the bugs it hard to beat.
    I still cant beleive the cover of HOTROD!
    Thanks to all even those that dont care for it. We still need critics in the world.

25. its cool he built it himself. its his, he can make it how he wants. but i dont get how some folks get flamed on for not have a traditional car or a rat rod and this car doesnt.

i think your wrong about 'nothing can be made traditional now' how do you figure that?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  26. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

awesome,see you joined a car club.hubba-hubba.bitchin hot rod

28. to me traditional means, well looking at all the old photos,and some of the un-restored hot rods, and building you car like them. besides my engine, my car is very traditional.

do i have to say this? if hot rod magazine tells you to jump off a bridge would you? i used to get their magazine until i got tired of seeing lame ass muscle cars and the trendy kid's cars.

29. Ok what ever you say.

30. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

That Packard is tits, I don't care what you call it.