Register now to get rid of these ads!

thought some HAMBers might like this car...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carbs & Chrome, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Did you get a recorded top speed at Bonneville?

I was looking at some straight 8 engine specs. and while looking up the Packard engine I found your car on another website:

Check it out.

2. Never ran the car out there, I looked into the 130 mph club with the USFRA but found that the entry fee and the limited runs you can do and bagged that idea. To much hassel for only 5 runs.

3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I understand. How's it feel driving on the street? Does it get up and go when you want it to?

4. The 9 main is the same engine block only it has 4 more webs in the bottom anda different crank. The 9 mains only came in the pricey cars and I have yet to find one or I would rather run that. I went to sevral shops around town and talked with some of the old timers about this when I was putting it together and was asking lots of questions and got some good insite from them but when I took the car to show them I was told "if any one asks me about hopping up a packard i'm sending them your way" There are some huys that do packards but they are lost looking at that engine, but they really like the thought of a big inline 8 set up like that.

The 288 cam was used because the 327's had a hyd cam and the 288 I used for parts was solid. and was the engine that was in the car at first so the cam and lfters where matched run. The 288 was horribly worn out and love oil so I did the 327. The difference in the 1/2 inch more stroke 4-1/4 vs. 3-3/4 was incredible. It revs very clean and strong for a stock cam.
    Sorry I never did get an Email.

5. When you pour the throttle on it gets real loose, Driving on the salt is kinda like driving on packed wet sand. For the most part it does get some traction and drives fine out there on the salt.

6. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Brian you know how much I love your car. This thing up close is amazing, tons of original era parts to boot. The supercharger is off an ol war plane isn't it?

7. jr9162

jr9162

No problem re: my e-mail. You're answering my questions just dandy. :D I figured something like that was happening with the 288 cam. Solid lifters, you had it available, and the lifters and cam were a matched run-in set. Just was curious if the 288 cam had different specs desirable for your application or not...

I understand cams out of a 5 main bearing 288 or 327 will fit in the 9 main bearing 327 block as well. Can you give any more information about the overbore, pistons, and rings you used?

Did you do anything trick with the valves, ignition, and oil system (pump/filter)?

4.250 is a lot of stroke... The longest Ford used in a v8 was in the 400s. I bet your motor has a lot of bottom end grunt. And the boost is right there with that blower. It's gotta be a wicked ride! :eek:

8. titan79

titan79

This car is amazing!
    I am running a str8 8 in my 50 pontiac silverstreak fastback and would love to find a supercharger like yours.
    watched the youtube videos, sounds great seems like a blast to drive!
    thanks for the inspiration keep it up.

9. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Mr. Packard, I met you at Bonneville in 07. We talked for a long time, you answered every question, politely. I was with the Inliners. I'm new to HAMB and found your car here. I just read the whole post. You are a craftsman & your car is a work of art! You are wrong about one thing, you aren't a dick. Read around on the HAMB, it's way too easy to see who the real dicks are. See you at Bonneville next year! Lucky

10. jr9162

jr9162

I did a little research in a 1953 NCB manual at my wife's place of work. The bore and stroke of the postwar engines is as follows:

288 CID = 3.500 x 3.750
    327 CID = 3.500 x 4.250
    356 CID = 3.500 x 4.625

Hot Rod Packard, are the OEM pistons in these three engines of equal dimension - the connecting rod length in each displacement type solely accounting for the differing strokes?

11. cody repp

cody repp
    BANNED

i applaud your craftsmanship
    I am a fan of packard 8 also
    heres my packard Inline :D

Attached Files:

12. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

ANY MORE PICS AND SPECS OF THIS packard straight 8??

13. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

Any one got a web link for the guy who made the HEAD,,,Norm Frick ??

any other info on Norm Frick ??

14. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

15. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are some pictures of the new engine that was just finished for Speed Week. What a blast.

16. BCR

BCR

That detail on that motor is excellent! Very nice look to it now.

Paint the A N satin black maybe?

17. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

That is one bad rod. I love it.

18. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I mut ask what the hell is going on with that engine! Are the exaust ports flipped?
    :eek:

19. I heard it driving around Wendover and the Packard sounded bad ass!

Sam

20. 21tat

21tat

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

that supercharged packard is kickin shweeeet , i always dig the youtube videos of that car and the sound it makes hauling up the road , awesome job on the mill in that car ,

22. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

A) its funny how every one here is "traditionaly minded" but is gaw-gaw over just another over the top rat rod that has a stance reminiscent to a minitruck. yes, the ingenuity and thoughtfulness put into using a unique motor are comendable and awesome... but the car has the same stance that every other rockasilly rat rodder and his dad has, stupid low and a body that for some reason or another looks like it runs uphill. Another car that looks like something Ian Rousell built. But it takes all kinds to make the car world go round. Alot of time was spent building it and safety was in mind so it has atleast one leg up on the other rat rods.

B) The car pictured from down under is the same damn way.. when and why did channeling the shit out of A sedans become the "in" thing??? its retarded. Again, the freakin body is running up hill. This makes no sense what the hell ever! It looks to have a flathead Caddy in it, which is awesome, freakin love those engines, but doing shit like running the exhaust into three short glaspacks sticking directly up from the motor??? wtf?! im sick of all this shock value bull shit..

sorry if anyones offended but... a guy can only hold it in for somelong before he reaches the breaking point. And about the pic and comment of the Caballo De Hiero, no, people wouldnt talk shit if something like that was built today, cause real traditional hot rodders recognize true to fashion genuine traditional styling, as in, they recognize thats how shit was done back in the day!

23. Well I dont know about you ,but I cant afford a 32 Ford 3 window or stuff like that. I know my car is not what some may like but it has been in many books here in the states and over seas as well. The car was built with left overs that some old and I mean old school rodder buddys had and thats what I built it with. The car has changed over the years and for the better I feel, I have a lot of fun with it and it gets a lot of lookers "mainly the engine I know" but it is what it is. I dont feel it is a rat rod but if you do then thats your right to think so.
    I have made a great effort in the fabrication of the build to extract it from the rat rod league of poorly built cars. If having rust or faded paint makes it a rat rod then I have to say that most of the cars here are just that. I dont have buckets of cash to buy some barn find and no one can ever build a car for them self that every one will like. So with that said, remember this, I never asked for your opinion on the ranking or style of my car so if you feel it nessary to voice it then send your self a PM and let your self know how you feel about it, as I and many others here never asked.

24. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I love how to a lot of folks, Traditional = Formulaic, PERIOD.

"If it don't have speed parts X and Y, with stance Z, tires W, wheels B, and the ride height set at Q, it's a ratrod and it's shit!"

Folks who think that way will never grasp what hotrodding really is. HINT: It has nothing to do with a parts list or score card.

Packard - Let the bullshit run off your back, and keep banging away on that fine modified.

I love those old Packard motors. If I was to find one tomorrow, I'd have to start building a car around it the day after that.

Keep doin' what you're doin', and screw the guys who'll never figure out what hotrodding really is.

25. Man, why does this thread keep going toward the "hate"? When I started it I thought this was a cool little modified that had some real effort put into it, AND it has only progressed / evolved / bettered over the years.

While a lot of you think this is just another ratrod let me assure you it is more creative and better engineered than a lot of the ratrods AND so called traditional rods out there seeing duty on the street everyday...

BTW Brian thanks for posting pic updates.

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Interesting thread. Sorta records the evolution of the "rat rod" style. It's been interesting for this old guy to observe what has been going on since the first "rat rods" came on the scene. It very much parallels the evolution of traditional hot rodding itself. The first ones were built with whatever the owner had on hand as most were bucks down young guys that couldn't afford a new or nearly new car but still wanted to go fast and look good. After awhile, as their financial situation improved the quality and finish improved to match the performance. The same thing has been happening here. Notice how the detail and finish on the engine has "evolved" to where it almost comes up to the standard of a concours restoration. What I'm waiting for is to see if he follows up on the rest of the car. If he does and details the chassis and body with plating and paint equal to the engine then this one will rival the best traditional ride hands down. One thing, he won't have to redo any of the fabrication as it's already first class. I have a feeling I'm not going to be disappointed in what the future holds, this car deserves to be dressed in her sunday best.

Frank

27. Oh its coming, but when I dont know. When it does I am sure it will inpress.

Thanks for looking at it the way I do.

28. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I like this car. If its a rat rod then I need to come up with a new definition of rat rods.

29. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

Fail in the "period correct" Dept.
    A+ in the "do whatever you want" Dept.

build what you want...i wish more people would run motors like yours....then there would be more old V8's available.