Register now to get rid of these ads!

thought some HAMBers might like this car...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carbs & Chrome, Jun 5, 2006.

1. poorboy

poorboy

i really dig that powerplant!

2. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

traditional vs non who cares this car is radical... inspiring craftsmanship!!!

3. It does not matter. No matter what you build, think, or do, some douche bag wont like it. Is it bad I could give a shit less?

I think the car has progressed very well over the last year and a half. Lots of work aand more to do. I dont really like working till it done, to easy to get burned out on. I rather get it drivable and finish as time and money allow.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I still fuckin love that car.

5. :rolleyes:

Neat, but not my taste.

6. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

This car is even better...up close and in person. We looked at it long and hard. What a cool piece. Great craftmanship. I think you play the toughguy thing,:mad: but in fact, you were a gentleman,:) and knowlegable, when we asked specific questions. Good work. And yes, Isky liked it alot. So did Gene. So did we. Screw the rest.

Attached Files:

7. Chuck G.

Chuck G.

This car seemed familiar and it turns out that I took a couple of pictures at Bonneville in 2007.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Billy, I still dig that car!

When you stopped by our camp, I noticed that you took the time to chat with everybody that asked questions (even the dumb ones) at Bonneville. You've become a proper ambassador for this hobby.

Can't wait to see what else you've done to the car the next time we get back to the salt.

Larry

9. Do we have to call it anything? What's up with that Veg-o-matic induction?

10. skwurl

skwurl

The car is simply perfect.I love it. Great job man. You know what they sat about opinions. There are plenty of those around here.Most people on this board seem to have "projects" and not a roadworthy car. Jealousy is a bad thing. Enjoy your ride. I enjoyed looking at it

11. And it just keeps getting better.

I am still amazed that people were still calling this a rat rod right up until the post died the last time. I bet if it was painted black that label would probably go away- but who cares, right?

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

That ride is seriously friggen bad ass!..I love everything about it...especially the non conformist parts of it..Call it whatever you want..I call it Friken awsome!..really if you think about it..this is where the imagination is supposed to be nurtured and brought to life, we dont have to follow anyones "rules"..we are supposed to be the ones breaking the "rules" and coming up with things like this..
    Nice ride Hot Rod Packard..I'd love to see this up close and personal..

13. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

That is a pretty damn neat car.

I had seen pics of the car in the past, but didn't really look at them because I thought the car was too cartoon-ish and that it was built for shock value.

I'm glad I looked closer.

14. Thanks for the comments, I know every one thinks im a dick but I try not to be. I love answering questions about the car.

15. You're a dick.. jk

Car is awesome. It's kinda industrial which I dig.

I'd like to see seats that are more comfortable, those can't be even as comfortable as my Kirkey drag seats. :)

I like your earlier comments about building the car safe and solid, I've seen a lot of newer hot rods that didn't have front brakes, complete cooling systems, scary looking steering setups. etcc..

16. jobob

jobob

Hi HRP I have seen your car on here,and on utube. I really like the way you built your car from ideas from your head,parts avalibility. Like you said its my car built my way,not for show but fun,The trouble is when its finished, the fun is gone,in my book..I am bulding and have running a home built roadster pickup,myself,all scratched built from used parts. Body my own design. I will send you some photos when i can figger out how. Are you a member of the Throtlers?...........jobob:eek:

17. Not a Throttler. Thought it would be cool but I dont know whats up with them much any more. I do get asked that question alot.

I do see some of the guys here and there.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  18. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I've been reading this thread over the last few days. I love that car. It's got me thinking about a straight 8 in my hot rod. (If that ever comes to be)

Couple of ignorant questions:

1. What kind of HP does that bad boy make? (How'd you do at Bonneville?)
    2. What are you doing in regards to a gas tank? I didn't see one.

Awesome car, one of my favorites now! Thanks for helping to shape a punk kid's taste and philosophy regarding hot rodding.

19. VonKool13

VonKool13

That is a cool Packard mill, the super charger is over the top! Bitchin lil'ride!

20. As for horse power I dont really know? I have a freind with a dyno that owes me some time but just have not got over to run it and see. I would like to see 200 at the rear. I'll bet its close now if not already there. I need to go and run it so I have a base line for whats been done so far.

The gas tank is the stock cowl tank, I cut it out to fit the shift tower and made 5 peices of tin and soldered them in to make a nook for the tower, I left about 1-1/2" at the front of the tank so the fuel could cross over. It now holds 9 gallons. The car gets real good mileage when just rolling down the road so you can run about 200 miles on the tank if you use the over drive. Last run we did and I checked the mileage it was at 24 mpg. Not bad for an old motor but it really isnt pulling much weight but its self. The car its self "no engine" weighs less than the engine and trans do.
    Here is more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. jr9162

jr9162

Here's a link to some reading on the history of Packards. You can wade through most of it to glean some tidbits about the straight eights they made. http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3/pack-hist-1945.html

Hot Rod Packard, is there a particular reason you used the 5 main bearing 327 CID engine versus the 9 main bearing 327 CID one?

I searched and cound not find much information about the aluminum head and/or its builder. :(

22. lildave411

lildave411
    from Irmo

first time ive seen a Boosted! undervalve
    FTW

23. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Original Hot Rod ,well done. Nice attention to detail ,right down to the pedals, Fan shroud and all them pan screws/rivet looking things.
    You have my vote.

24. gpa

gpa
    from lewis,co.

is anyone else sick of the "that thing is cool "BUT"--- FUCK them!! the thing is what YOU want and who gives a shit what anyone else thinks. I hear that shit all the time also, are you gonna paint it,what are you gonna do about this or that ? Again,FUCK them,do what you want and have fun with it.. one more thing ,take no shit from someone that doesnt know the difference between a turbo and a supercharger!!
    Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    PHIL

25. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Nice Ride. There's a mind boggling amount of things going on in a relatively small amount of space with this one. Completely unique, completely cool.

26. Hot Rod Packard, is there a particular reason you used the 5 main bearing 327 CID engine versus the 9 main bearing 327 CID one?

Yes there is a reason for the 5 main engine. It was what I had. The car happend on a whim, Dad built a car with a Pontiac inline 8 and I thought wow thats way different i want an inline 8. Trust me I would have rather had the 9 mains but it 5 works just fine.

I am pleased at all the positive comments about the car. Hrp.

27. Jr9162, I am well versed on the link you mentioned above, Read all the pages on there and any others I could find when all this came together, Wanted to learn as much about what made a packard what it was and all that.
    I have done a lot of hobbies and life styles and never had one as rewarding as this one. Hot rodding is really the best, You get to see your ideas come to lfe and get to drive the damn thing around and all that. Nothing better.

28. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

The more I hear about this car the more I like it. Straight bangin'.

29. Thanks for sharing all of the detail shots.....this machine is really an assortment of innovative thought and workmanship:cool:....a very enjoyable post, to say the least!....and it is easy to see that you are having fun with this Hot Rod....cool.
    Skot

30. jr9162

jr9162

That's really cool and I totally understand. A bird in hand is better than two in the bush...

Myself, I'd prefer a 9 main bearing engine - just because it affords better crank stability. Otherwise, I have no idea regarding the difference in the 5 versus 9 main bearing 327 CID Packards. I don't know what parts the two have in common regarding rods, pistons, cam, and such. I presume the 9 main bearing mill is longer and heavier...

Was your use of the 288 cam just becuz it was available, in the best condition, or due to its lift, overlap, and duration?

Besides the pioneering you've done on your own, do you know any other extant Packard gurus?

Your car is totally radical. I love to hear that throaty rumble of the exhaust overlaid by the scream of the centrifugal supercharger impeller. And yes, I also hear the wine of the tranny and quick-change rear end gears...

You spoke of long legs in OD. What kind of top end on the salt flats?

Did you get my e-mail?