Register now to get rid of these ads!

This just makes me sick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat_46, Aug 5, 2005.

1. whitewallslick

whitewallslick
    1. oHIo

Think they would equally appreciate a classic John Deere derby? Rubes ...

2. hatch

hatch
    from house

Edsels suck....I'd like to see a demo derby with a hundred of em.....and maybe throw in a few of George Barris' abortions/customs to make it even more interesting.

3. Derek

Derek

Oh my god, I just don't know what to say. Who the....... What the............. I just don't understand.

4. Bugman

Bugman

I bet it was Tucks idea so he could drum he some repair work:D:D

5. Muttley

Muttley

Anyone else hoping for a horrible accident where Cletus there gets impaled buy Earls bumper?

6. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

You 'Mericans own guns... shoot the fuckers in the feet so they can't drive. Or lock that fuckin kid in the trunk and take his place in the drivers seat.

7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I'm saying this from seeing it FIRST HAND. that edsel is one of the rougher cars...

One of the kids that demos spent 15 grand to "impress" people last year... went around about bought MINT CONDITION Imperials and demoed the shit out of them. I'm talking "perfect" show worthy cars with low miles... one of them had about 55k on it.

I used to paint his cars- and another guys from Rush. They would pay me full price to paint and flame them in Base Clear paint... they looked NEW- run them though the parade and smash em.

I stopped painting them... I painted about 3 imps for this guy named Todd, he would have over 1500 in materials alone.... and about 5- 6 grand in the car.

It totally SUCKS... they're not smashing up rusty cars, they're smashing perfectly good cars all for bragging rights...

I've been to other demos but I've never seen anything like what they do here in pine city... not to this degree...

I wont defend that shit at all...

I traded a kid a 68 ford pickup with 60k on it for a 67 mustang. The next year the kid for some reason DEMO'd the truck... I was like WTF? TRUCK DEMOS??? first hit and he was out. Pefectly good truck fucked.

Tuck

8. plan9

plan9

i dont agree with derbys, never have... but why dont some of you guys pool your money together and save some of this shit?

instead of sitting on the internet preaching to the choir?

"Aww shux, this is a cryin shame..."

9. So it's a wallet (dick) measuring contest...

I think I know these assholes... They are the ones I knew growing up who killed frogs "cuz it was fun."

10. TINGLER

TINGLER

Its nuts.

Whats really nuts is that a guy would spend thousands of dollars to do this. I don't give a damn really, because when the shit comes down and all the "old dinosaurs" are demoed to hell...and these fucktards are standing around with their thumbs in their asses, I'm the guy who will be ROARING PAST them in an old hot rod of some sort.

Retards. Its their own time and money they are wasting.

11. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Its nice to see a different opinion in what apeared to be a one sided post.

12. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

wouldn't it be soooooo Rad to build a big 50's car in a demolition berby style, not to wreck, but to drive around! It would look kind of like a beat-up super stocker, with sponsors painted on the side and two tone wheels . You could have some pipes shooting up through the hood. It would be killer!

13. Around here, they waste mostly 70's and 80's iron with a few Imperials mixed in. When they run a '64-'66, they win usually.

I have a wasted '58 Imperial I'd like to turn into a demo car. It looks like it's already been in a demo, which is why I had the idea. trouble is, it's almost too wasted, even if I combine parts from the '60 to make it a complete car - it needs brakes on at least one end of it too, which means a couple hundred in parts.

Probably the oldest I've seen was a year a guy showed up with a '60 Chevy 4dr (who cares, but the 235 might have been worth saving) and a '60 Olds 88 2dr ht. That one shouldn't have been run, it wasn't all that bad. But hell I went one place and found four '60 Olds ragtops, all sitting and rotting - they must be an aquired taste.

One guy ran a '72 Pontiac wagon he found somewhere with 59,000 miles on it. Rotty, to be sure, but I would have driven it. Factory AM-FM stereo radio ended up in my '72 4dr though, and will migrate to the 2dr I have now one of these days.

Odds are that's going to be a terrible demolition derby from an entertainment standpoint. I don't see any car listed that will do really well, especially if it has frame rot anywhere in it. My bet is it lasts 15 minutes and makes people want their money back afterwards. You have to figure some of these cars are going to go after one or two hits, and 17 cars isn't really a very big demo either. I saw one with 8 cars last month and even with the street stock feature they included, I was out of there about 8:45, the demo was over in about 10 minutes.

Smart demo guys take stuff like grilles off the car so there's less crap to get shoved into the radiator, too. That aught to be a clue about these guys.

Edit: If there is one guy mad enough at this to go out and save a car or two for every 10,000 or so people who read that article, that aught to save at least as many as those clowns trash.

14. That would be sweet!! A 50's style Demo car would look sinister if it was Black and had pipes out the hood...

How about a Rice only event?? only cars with flashy body kits, turbos, and their precious Fart cans can enter?

I'd also pay good money to see a Minivan only event. Also, a Luxury SUV only event would have me laughing for days.

15. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

You call yourself a car guy? You seem proud that you crushed some old cars. I don't give a fuck if it's a 32 or a 4 door Edsel, VINTAGE TIN IS VINTAGE TIN. Last i heard they wheren't re poping Edsel 4 doors. Even if all that was left was the roof, or windshield, or a single piece of trim, SOMEONE, SOMEDAY is going to need that car.

And it couldn't be THAT bad if he managed to get it driveable. Stupid fuckin hicks

16. It's a four door, and an Edsel to boot... so it doesn't bother me one bit... and the other car pictured is a Checker... not exactly Traditional Hot Rod or Custom material either one...

Sam.

17. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

*sigh*

. . . and they wonder why the fuck i wanna move home to Wisconsin? seems some of these Minnesota fucks are swimmin on the shallow end of the gene pool :rolleyes:

18. Woah... it's gettin' kinda warm in here. :(

Chill fellas. They want you to turn on each other. That's part of their evil plan. :eek:

It isn't the brightest idea in the world, but,
    it's sure better than seein' the crusher turn 'em into little Chinese toys...

Let's just build one for every one they fuck up...
    and, let's try to get along? :D

JOE:cool:

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i still wanna move home... lmao :D

20. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Fuck you Joe[​IMG]
    don't rationalize or let shit like this slide! they should post these idiots on the cover of some big magazine with their addresses and phone #'s

21. Ha ha...

I didn't say I don't wanna beat 'em up...:D

JOE:cool:

22. ray

ray
    from colorado

last I heard they weren't crushing 32 fords.

there is a reason they are not repopping edsel 4 doors, and people are demoing them, but really, if i have to continue to explain the reasons the conversation is really pretty pointless.:rolleyes:

23. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I think the fairs true spectacle is the unseeming ability to congregate at least six of the most phenomonly idioitic individuals in one place.

24. elcornus

elcornus

Hmmm........

West coast.......CHECK

Free long distance.........CHECK

Up late at night........CHECK

Don't know what to do with this information myself.;)

25. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I think if they want to do it old school, the get rid of the safety equipment, no nets, no seatbelts, no rollbars, just the car, a steering wheel and them, chicken the way it was meant to be played.

26. TIKIFREAK13

TIKIFREAK13
    from Duluth MN

dont look at it as being about edsels i hate them cars but its not about them next them these little dicked faggots will be running is a 40 & below demo then you going to fuking care more its old cars beong killed by fukers that need my stealtoe to there goddamn head & fiddy it makes me very happy i live in sin not the 10 tho Swamp state ........not like its much better

27. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

i never at all understood demolition derbys in the beginwith. i mean how much actual driving skill does it take to back your car into someone elses? real racers use as many skills as any athlete and then some. all you need for demo is a heavy enough car to get you through the evening. not much creativity is happening there on saturday nights i guess, but i also guess it beats sitting around copping a feel on your sister while no ones looking.

28. BLAKE

BLAKE

What do you guys say to those restorer-types who call you idiots for turning decent old iron into hotted-up jalopies...? Seems like this group would enthusiatically tell the restorers to shut the fuggup and mind their own business. Then we'd prolly laugh about how those guys 'just don't get it'.

I hate to see this stuff happen to cool old cars as much (or more) than the next guy, but it's none o' my business what some guy wants to do with his money and his cars.

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Go to the next Demo derby you get a chance to and look over the cars that are going to compete before the show starts. If you find one that you can't live without (or one that's so rare you can turn a handsome profit) offer the owner $5,000 for the car (cash, right on the spot). I'll be willing to bet you'll own the car. What's $5,000 in this day and age? Practically nothing in the grand scheme of things. Put it in the classifieds here with a modest profit for your trouble and I'm sure you won't be able to answer all of the PM's with offers to buy it.

Be sure to post pictures of your treasure so everyone can give you the proper "attaboy", and I'll personally get a plaque made to commorate the event. Sounds like a win/win to me. Any takers? If not then go back to whatever you were doing before you decided to save the world from those nasty guys who ruin old cars.

Frank

30. jazzbum

jazzbum

Blake - come on, buddy. you really think restorers wouldnt prefer rodding to the demo derby? comparing rodding to demoing, even from a strict restorer perpective, is like comparing probation to a life in prison.

fact is PARTS ARE GETTING SCARCER BY THE DAY. even cars that "no one likes" of that "they made a million of" will soon enough be like hens teeth. personally, i don't give two squirts of piss what somebody does with their car, so long as it is PRESERVED. i believe that when you buy an old car, you also inherit a resposibility to maintain it. IT IS A HISTORICAL ARTIFACT. restorers and rodders alike talk real big about "the next generation." if this shit keeps up, there won't be a next generation. perhaps youve heard of SEMA? where is the lobby for the PHYSICAL PROTECTION of old cars? forget the legal protection. this is the way i feel about stunt cars too, if i were a politician, id start a lobby to make all of that shit illegal. ok, im ranting.