Register now to get rid of these ads!

History this is waht the 50's was about

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimv, Oct 27, 2009.

1. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Dick Dale concert was awesome on Saturday. I was front row with my 8 year old daughter (introducing her to some culture ;)).

You aren't kidding he's loud. Everyone had ear plugs, audience, band, except Dick. He put on a great show. I would see him again if I get the chance. After he wore out his guitar pick, he handed it to my daughter. She loved it, makes a neat souvenir.

Here are a few pics of the show for anyone interested. The Pyronauts opened to the show.

http://picasaweb.google.com/auburnevents/PyronautsAndDickDale#

Mike

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper

I was born too late. I listen to 50s music almost daily, now if I just had a car from the 50s.

3. vwdave30

vwdave30

dig the link wray stuff i never heard of him

4. ford51

ford51
    from sweden

Robert Johnson & Punchdrunks plays kind of surf.

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Morning all,seeing this this came back to the top, I just thought I'd add Link Wray was more of a God than a man. I had the privilege back in the 90s of playing a couple of shows with him. He was 67, going on 21. Got my guitar signed, and everything. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Paul

6. JVK54

JVK54

The 2 post-Tuff Darts records Robert Gordon did with Link Wray in the late 70s are really good. Can't believe this thread is 7 pages long without any mention of The Ronettes. Ronnie Spector put out a record last year called "Last Of The Rock Stars" which is well worth owning for the fist 4 songs .

7. Phil1934

Phil1934

His record label kept him in the simple tunes. Now that he's older, he can do the blues he wanted to do back then. Search Bronx in Blue.
    http://www.pandora.com/music/album/dion/bronx+in+blue

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  8. skywolf

skywolf

Thanks. Good stuff. :)

9. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

11. chillywilly

chillywilly

without reading the entire post .... the surf rock of the early 60 is where its at... tex mex style from guys like the Fireballs ... so good. best way to come across new music i have learned is to go to aolradio. its free click on play it now and use the genre selector go to oldies for 50s oldies, rockabilly, doo wop ... original type stuff.
    then in rock section there is a surf rock category .. tons of link and dick, fireballs , nighriders, ventures etc...

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Got to see the last gig that Link Wray played in AZ a few years back. He was so drugged out it just was awfull, but he still shined on a couple of tunes, most important to me was "Jack The Ripper", still one of my favorite tunes ever... A couple of weeks later he was gone. I'll always feel privledged for that last chance to see the man.
    Not too much later, at the same venue, (Rythm Room in Phoenix) I saw Dick Dale - still the very best concert I have ever been to in my life!!! In a small intimate space like that with Dick playing six feet away - keeping the roof on that joint seemed impossible.
    I know this disscussion started with Do Wop, but man, I can't stand that stuff. I have heard so much of it over the years at car shows, and I just can't get my head around enjoying it. If I had been a teenager of the fifties I probably would have been chomping at the bit for the next thing that was a bit more agressive and fast, such as Dick Dale an Link Wray in the early sixties. Very much like being the teen I was in the late seventies, wading through all the garbage on the radio - then hearing the Sex Pistols or The Ramones for the first time. Funny enough, realizing that those guys were speeding up some old tunes is what brought me to Link and Dick. Stray Cats hitting about that time didn't help either! ( but not "Won't stand in your Way"!!!)

13. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Anything "Before the Beatles" is all I care to listen to. A local radio station here used to have a sunday morning program with that format. I sure miss it. I've only heard a few Link Wray & Dick Dale tunes, but I try to catch them on my XM radio stations thru Direct TV.