Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects thinking of closing off the rear wheelwells on my 51

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Usual Phil, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Usual Phil

Usual Phil

Wanted to get everyones opinion.

I am working on a 51 Chevy HT, mild custom, already stretched the fenders and was thinking of completely sealing off the rear quarter panels so it looks like one long solid fender, basically, molding in a custom set of skirts.

thoughts?

Attached Files:

• rear.jpg
      rear.jpg
      File size:
      42.7 KB
      Views:
  2. 1955IHC

1955IHC

I like the flare you have on there now. What about closing them about 3/4 of the way with some sort of flare on the lip?

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

3. 'Mo

'Mo

Personally, I don't much like the 'Drop the rear end to change a tire' look.

However, a complete detachable lower fender, bordered with a straight stainless spear, would be an option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  4. R Pope

R Pope

How would you change a tire?

5. Yeah, less is more here. Having to change a tire on the side of the road would be a giant PITA.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I prefer it the way it is now. Cool that it has a '49 Buick rear bumper; one of my favorite parts.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Skirts are cool on a custom.

8. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

It sure would look killer with the skirts but damn a flat tire would really suck. I say its a custom so do it. Worry about the tire issue when it come around.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Torchie

Torchie

I think that it would look good but as has been stated the logistics of a tire change could be a nightmare. As I recall somebody did this to a car but had it set up so that you could take off the rear fender via the trunk. May have been an older Winfield custom.
    If you don't want skirts look at using a different rear wheel opening from another car.

10. more work than it is worth. put skirts on it.
    if you have to do it can you make detachable fenders?

11. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Am I the only one that's noticed that his rear wheel wells are no where near stock. They can be lowered a ton and still allow the tire to be changed and I don't know of any skirt that could just be put on.:cool:

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

12. cosmic12

cosmic12

To me a custom has to have skirts, with that said, radiused & flared wheel wells on a custom don't work at all. I understand what you want. I am having the same problem with my 52, don't like the stock skirts and cruzer /bubbles won't work eather. I am going to try putting the bottom 1/2 of 57 Chevy skirts on my stockers for the lip and to fill the void left on the bottom of the stockers. I do know right now the way mine sits I can not get the wheel/tire out without a extra jack to help drop the axle and that's with the stock opening.PITA!. Flat tires will not be fun.
    Love the H/T wish mine was.

13. belair

belair

Skirts would be the way to go. I agree with cosmic on the radiused and flared quarters. they really don't work on your car IMO. The cut goes way too high for me.

14. I like the idea of removing the flair and go with the full skirts. HRP

15. Closed off solid makes it hard to change a tire. I like the look on a custom and changing a tire can be done but it makes it hard to do.

BTW like others have said I like th flare that it already has so it is just a matter of deciding what you want it will look good either way in my opinion.