Register now to get rid of these ads!

things have changed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onlychevrolets, Nov 4, 2009.

1. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

Party lines when your phone rang you had to know the ring, when you picked up every old lady on the line picked up to listen. Phone number HU-465

Pop machines were cold water coolers 5 cents and the bottle was wet

Green stamps when you got gas

glasses and plates given away at the gas station

Gas wars 19 cents a gallon

Movie 25 cents got you in two features and a cartoon

Could go on and on

Just and old guy I guess

2. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

I miss my grandfather talking about how he would never buy an import b/c they were the one's shooting at him!

3. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

I remember when words were spelled instead of 3 letters for 3 words..except for FTW IOU ..now its too hard to spell out "laugh out loud" or "laughed my ass off" just think those are the lazy ass people you have to deal with on the road and in the stores.
    I also miss getting that first 67 camero Hot Wheel

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Speaking as an honest mechanic, I miss the days when mechanics were respected. The vast majority were honest and still are. It's the customers that tend to frequently have the attitude problems.

5. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I remember all the dealer stuff, and how it was a big deal when the new cars arrived. Yes, and the good auto parts store with the machine shop in the back, (Star Auto) in the middle of town, with the creaky old woodened floors. And the guys that knew their stuff without looking it up in a book. The .10 coke machine at the police station. The movie theater(gone), the ice house and the butcher shop next to it (gone), the ice skating rink across the street (gone). Our phone number was AMhurst7****. We have a shopping area that's called Faregrounds Plaza, it used to be a horse race track. A bank now sits in the spot that the actual track was. And the junkyards are gone:mad:

6. They have a new version now - measures pressure differential and gives you a pressure map display on the screen to recommend orthopedics. Saw one in the Wal-Mart pharmacy. It can even tell if you have shoes on or not. Slightly safer, but not nearly as cool...

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I ordered a miniature sub from the back of a comic book, I never did receive it.

8. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

I always wanted to buy one of those.

9. budd

budd

i always wanted to buy the "build your own helicopter" plans, i few years back i did...lol...it was the same ad i'm almost sure, did anyone order the squirel monkey?

10. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Most teachers in my elementary school had 'em hanging within reach from their desk back in the 70's. IMO, they need to have them in school again. Quoting Henry Hill from goodfella's, "nobody is above an ass whoopin". "Everybody has to take a beatin' at some point."

11. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Yes every ones phone rang at once you just listened for "your ring" and there was always some busy body that knew every ones business they would listen to every bodys calls! private lines cost a lot of money then but you could get one, Even lines that served 2 families only cost a heap of money then and you could ONLY get phones from the phone company and could get arrested if you didn't turn in the phones if you lost your service for any reason.

12. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

Remember these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I attempted to put a tiger in my tank, well actually it was a tabby, and PETA kicked my ass.

14. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

PETA Please Eat Tasty Animals

15. budd

budd

i got the strap three times before grade 4, one time a big kid lifted me up and put me in the bathroom sink, then he turned the water on and got my shirt soaked, i got the strap for that. i was in grade 2.

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Getting strapped was a badge of honor, if you took yer beating without flinching you were a true hero. Once in a while the entire class got the ruler because of the behavior of one but we never snitched. It was a good time, no one died and no one was murdered.

17. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

My Dad used a razor strap on us

18. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

We used to put these staight in our mouths and see who could last the longest
    [​IMG]

19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I know from close personal experience you do anything a kid doesn't like today they go to school tell the school in house shrink any lie they want and you have State up your ass for the rest of time,And the very first thing they tell your kid infront of you is "Your parents can't punish you for telling us! Then It's pay for the kid to visit a shrink weekly till the state is happy!Happened to a family member over catching their 10 year old trying to smoke when no one in her household ever did.

20. budd

budd

i remember being upset for a couple of days but then she went back to being my favorite teacher again, 20 years later i ran into the guy who put me in the sink and we had a laugh, he got the strap to...lol

21. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I haven't seen them out here but a friend of mine moved here from texas and his late 60s Ford Camper Special puck up had a light gray step n tow bumper with the dealers name stamped in it and it was strong enough to pull a damn battleship!

22. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

The last paddling I got was in 3rd grade, and the 'ol blue hair-god bless her-gave me everything she had, and it was NOTHING like the weight belt I got at home. I walked back into class all high and mighty like "yea that's right-didn't hurt at all". I was humbled shortly after at home with said weight belt-the one that covers every square inch of the backside with each swing.

23. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

It's a different day today for sure in this sue-happy world.

24. I remember when you could have a conversation with someone for more than 30 seconds without them having to "text" back in some halarious tit for tat.

25. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Hell they delete that here in under 2 minutes!

26. Special Ed

Special Ed

My tenth grade 1st period teacher offered "swats" in front of the whole class in lieu of taking a "tardy" if you were late to school. Three tardies would get you a suspension, so we always took the swats. That paddle hurt like hell on a cold morning...

27. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

I call my 16 year old daughter, no answer, and it goes to voicemail. I text her, and she's responds in less than 30 seconds-go figure.

28. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Working at the Esso Gas Station. While on the Islands "selling up" oil changes, and tire rotations for the lube bays. All the while Pumpin Petrol, topping off the windshield fluid, wiping windows, smoozing with all the regulars and creating new ones.

Gone ....forever......

Oh yeah ....selling a Map or two ... and giving directions to all of the out-of-towners...We were all "car navigators" back then...

29. zzford

zzford

Anyone remember those free toys that came in cereal boxes? There were two that I'm talking about. The baking powder powered submarine and the frogman. You filled a small cavity with baking soda, and the toy would sink, then surface. It would do this repeatedly.

30. Muttley

Muttley

I had both of those back in the mid '70's. I also had this cool airplane that hung from a string that you nailed to the roof, it had a small electric motor and when you switched it on the plane would fly around in circles. Did anyone have a Red Baron or a Green Machine?

[​IMG]