Register now to get rid of these ads!

They laughed when I picked up the wrench -- but when I started to work!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Goober, Mar 6, 2005.

1. I was bitten by the hot rod bug in 1958 with my first glimpse of Norm Grabowski's "Kookie" T-bucket on 77 Sunset Strip. The short wheelbase, radically-raked roadster with its exposed Caddy powerplant, flames and wild headers burned an image in my mind of what a true hot rod was at the age of 10. By 14, I was at the local drag strip every Saturday night and helped a friend rebuild a 409 we crudely dropped into an old Austin sedan. But school, work, marriage, and four children didn't leave much time or money for my passion -- although I did pick up a '62 BelAir "bubbletop" and '66 Cuda for daily transportation along the way. I've always been drawn to the nontradional side of tradional hot rods. That's why I'm building a 292 Y-block powered (non-"Fad") '23 T-bucket with inspiration from Norm, Ivo, Roth and others. Oh, and if anyone knows any secret junkyards or Y-block stashes within a couple hundred miles of Chicago don't hesitate to let me know.

2. I love the wierd engines and uncoventional cars too, welcome!

3. TINGLER

TINGLER

Welcome to the HAMB. Around here a Y-block fits right in.
    Sounds like your gonna build a winner.

4. CathyH

CathyH

Welcome from Oklahoma!

5. Welcome from Melbourne, Australia!

The plans for the ride sound great -make sure you post some pics of it all when your finished!

Danny

6. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

welcome to the hamb,I just sold a 56 y block. sorry

7. Welcome to the HAMB,,,

Having been being bitten by the hot rod bug at a early age,,,,I can attest that there is no cure,,,,,,,the only thing that helps is
    regular visits to the shop for a few hours! :D HRP

8. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

9. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Good intro....welcome!

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Welcome to the hamb, nice intro sounds like you'll fit in fine. Are you sure your not from Mayberry? :D

11. dynamic88

dynamic88
    from Chicago

Welcome Goober. I'm sure I'll see you around. Live in Jefferson Park (northwest side of Chicago) and daily drive a '64 Olds Dynamic 88.

I'm also helping a buddy (also lives in Jeff Park) get his new '59 Edsel project with 292 Y-block runnning and on the road (we pulled it out of a barn in Michigan after a 20 year slumber). So if I run into any parts, I'll let you know. And keep me in mind on the flipside.

JR

12. Thanks 88 -- I'll keep an eye out for your ride since I work on NW side. While I'm not currently deep on Y-block parts I can help also if you need anything. By the way, I'm curious what the Edsel valve covers look like. Do they have an Edsel decal on them or is the name stamped into them or what? The idea of running Edsel covers on mine is appealing from the standpoint of uniqueness. Maybe I'll have to try to find some. Right now, I've got the finned aluminum T-bird, steel Merc. and plain old Ford versions.