Register now to get rid of these ads!

Then she ask....Why so many projects!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, May 18, 2009.

1. corsair

corsair

28 and the best thing I ever got was a divorce. Much more room for cars when I got all of her stuff out of the way :D

2. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Mine found me a FREE 1950 Buick yesterday and even helped load the thing after the 60 mile drive. I'm thinking I'll keep her. :D

3. corsair

corsair

Fair warning, best way to ruin a great girlfriend is to put a ring on her finger. Just my bit of public service for the day.

4. Why did the chicken cross the road?

(to duck that slap, apparently...)

5. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

If your woman won't pitch in with you and help, it's time to trade her for another model. Seriously.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Tell her it keeps you out of the bars.

7. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

That one only works for a little bit. I tried the investment approach, but she knew I wouldn't sell them. I tried the "family cruiser" thing, that didn't work either.

My EX was OK with the first, didn't say much on the 2nd, I got the evil eye on the 3rd but the 4th one she flipped on:D. I bought the 5th one and she was gone before I brought it home...:rolleyes: And they all ran/drove.

:pTo this day, I still don't know why she left. Funny thing is, my new G/F said her ex was "always in the garage with his 'cuda". I reminded her that the cars are a pre-exhisting condition and they won't go away. She's still here so I guess she got the hint.

8. Well - I got rid of 1 pickup & replaced it with 2 cars, later I got rid of 1 more pickup & replaced it with 1 car. I guess she figures she does not gain any ground asking me to get rid of anything. I also agree that it is easier to just go ahead and do a deal to buy one because they will get over it......

9. WTF? cowboy the fuck up and be a man already , my house , my rules and i do as i damn well please.. what a bunch of candy asses!!

flowers help , A LOT.. and yes some begging and crying may be involved!! of course in a manly man kind of way!:D

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im Glad i dont have these problems..My wife is very supportave of my hobby.
    If something follows me home, I dont have to explaine a thing.
    She sees and knows, that my prioraties are in the right place so she doesnt even question my intentions.

11. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

lot of good info here. I live by the "its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission". When ever I am out with the wife and I spot an old car I just act like I didnt see a thing then go back later. If it is something great and I just cant control myself, She alway says "What are you going to do with that?" The response "own it"

Also as Corsair mentioned, My wife has said I look at cars the way other guys look at women. She is glad I have a thing for old nasty cars.

12. SlamIam

SlamIam

Who so many projects? Because I'm terrified of being bored and broke (retired) some day with nothing to do, so I buy projects, parts and tools now while I can afford them. Projects are hope for the future, whether I ever get to them or not.

That said, my wife is more important to me than anything else in this life, she's got my back and has saved my butt countless times, as I have done for her. She is the hardest working and most intelligent person I know. We were close friends before we were married (38 years now), we are a team, we are very supportive of each others' activities, and she knows I'm a creative person that is happiest working on projects. She just asks that I finish one before I start another if at all possible, and her influence has helped me learn how to get a lot more things done.

13. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I live by the "its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission".

Been doing it this way now for ten years. Every time I bring another one home. I get "Well if you keep bringing this shit home I am going back to my moms".

Everytime I tell here you will be missed and dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I also explain to here that if she goes. There is no turning back. The locks would be changed before you get to your mom's house.

14. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I've got 1 car project, 1 motorcycle project, 20 + Schwinns and misc. bike projects, and about a zillion hobby projects. My last girlfriend, couldn't deal with all of my "stuff" to the point that after she left, she contacted me and told me that she had gotten rid of everything she owned (literally) aside from her two bicycles and what fit in two storage boxes. Talk about an adverse reaction. Oh well, more space for more stuff. :D Now I just gotta find a gal that likes stuff...hmm I think it's easier to just acquire more stuff.

15. havi

havi

I live by the "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission".

Last 3 vehicles were brought to my yard when she was at work. I never told her. The last 1, I'm not sure if she even noticed. Don't ask, don't tell, lol. But she knows that I know that even I have a limit to how much I should have out back. I keep it around 6.

As to stopping and looking at that Hudson. Next time, make a mental note, and go back alone. :)

16. It keeps me from getting another wife.

I did however say I would stop buying cars for a little while (I usually avg 4 a year) however she wasn't too happy with the boat I brought a couple weeks ago - even less with the sailboat that came home yesterday.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 5 projects now, soon to get 1 more. Some she likes, some she hates, some she could care less. I've always, ALWAYS made money on my stuff when we needed to. I'm now getting things I want or have always wanted. Problem is with the current economic strife the pickins are fuckin phenomemal! 3 of my projects (current and coming) are Packards so those are easy to explain. The 61 Belair bubbletop...she fuckin hates it. Go figure, huh? The O/T project is a full size Bronco "Nite" version and she loves it. She's real excited about 54 Chevy PU but doesn't understand why I won't just small block, auto, mag wheels and paint it. I have a vision for that one. It'll take years at the current pace of work and personal shit. It'll be worth 2-3 times what I spend on it and then some. But it's that intagible vision thing that I can't explain. I have a bad itch for a fenderless 30-1 Model A coupe. It scares her when I talk about it. I guess my answer is I don't have an answer. I use the 401K rationale once in a while with some degree of success.

Shit, now you all got me askin myself why so many...

18. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I don't have to check with the wife before I by something else. I quit doing that years ago since all she would tell me is that I knew what we could afford. She has put up with me for over twenty years so she figures that I'm not going to change anytime soon. She is a real gem.

For some reason reading this reminds me of my first wife. Man, did we go round and round about all kinds of stuff. I got more than a little sick of hearing, "You love that car more than you love me." One night we got into it over that subject and she told me that I was not sleeping in her bed that night. I didn't say a word. I walked to the bedroom and took the mattress off of the bed and headed out the door with it. She asked me what I was doing and I told her that if I was not sleeping in her bed that night then she sure as hell was not sleeping in my house, she could sleep in her bed out in the yard and I would sleep in my house on the couch. I slept in the bed that night. Later she tried getting the car she was always jealous of in the divorce but since I had owned it long before we were married, she couldn't touch it.

19. My wife doesn't care how many projects I have,,as long as we have food in the house the bills are paid and a hotrod on the road.

I need to get back to work on her wagon,,I have a 65 ford truck in the wings and my 32 5-window that I am presently doing a few updates on.

There is also a 48 Ford truck in the barn and a vintage camper I have my eyes on!

She only ask,,,can you afford it,,,if so and you want it,,,buy it! HRP

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  20. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

My wife doesn't care how many projects I have...as long as they're not "cluttering up the yard.":) She did say something about the Scotty camper I've got half torn apart- along the lines of "fix it or junk it". It must be a disease. Speaking of which, I'm off to retrieve the '55 Stude I found a week ago. Gotta get it home before she gets home from work and catches me!:)

21. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

Dig through her yearbooks. Find the car she's pictured most in/around. If it's anything other than a K-car or a Rambler...buy it. Restore it. She'll love it. And she'll never, ever argue again.

And if she takes YOU out for a cruise, all the better to check out those fields...wait...is that a '51 jeepster out there? Stop the car, honey....

22. phukinartie

phukinartie

My wife sometimes spots cars before I do.... God I love her

23. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

If you have the room and have the money, what's the problem? Many addictions out there, old cars are a good one.

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

The investment response isn't So far fetched. Where else can you buy something for $2k and sell it in 5 years for 5 times as much. Show me ANY stock or investment that has brought a 200% to 500% return in 5 to 10 years....

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

I bought 19 acres for $27,000 26 months ago and sold it two weeks ago for $40,000

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

You are one of the fortunate ones...real estate doesn't typically pay off that quick for the average Joe. And besides, how in the heck did you accomplish THAT in this market? That's awesome...

27. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

Because it's a disease with no cure, the only way to ease the pain is to drag another one home...or to the storage lot or to a buddy's shop...

My wife is an enabler... she cut me off from buying any more projects until I finish her 67 truck. I have purchased 2 since then. She actually taught me the "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" thing.

28. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I think that a better questions is "Why the hell is it that so many wives (or girlfriends) care how many project cars we have?" I've never understood this...particularly if you're still giving them plenty of "together" time, and as long as you don't junk up the yard with them. And, even more so if you are buying and selling and making a profit.

29. Armstrong

Armstrong

I say God put me here to save these cars. You got a problem? Take up with God and leave me to fulfill my purpose.

30. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

I usually spot my finds when we're on a road trip on my Harley in fields, yards, various properties, scouting the horizon as we're riding along. She knows this. If she spots one before I do, or at the same time, she'll gently grab my head by both sides and point my head in the direction we're going. Nothing more said from either of us, as long as I know we don't have the room for another one or it looks as if it's too much to save it.