Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Worlds Fastest Indian

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revray, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Thanks for those pics Doc

2. S.F.

S.F.

Im not gonna lie, my eyes tear up every time Burt Munro gets to the salt flats for the first time

3. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

The sign was indeed a repop. It now lives in the SCTA building on El Mirage.

DW

4. Thanks for sharing...some great stuff there.

5. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Man your album is Cool glad i look at it :) Thanks for posting it

6. I mentioned to my family that Burt's last name is identical to my Scottish grandmother's maiden name and my older son pops up with "Wasn't that originally a penal colony for the English? So we're probably related to him, right?" Don't know, but now Burt's part of the family history!

7. T.KITCHEN

T.KITCHEN

The messy shop yet "the Best" things come out of it by a true-old-time-Craftsman, pissin' on the Lemon tree, burning the grass instead of cutting it, the banker telling him"I didn't hear that" so he spoke louder and not understanding why the motel only rented by the hour and women totally charmed by his easy going manner are all classic scenes and are exactly like my beloved (deceased) Father-in-Law;Dick Coleman of Dayton, Ohio

8. May fave scene in the whole film.....

"I tell ya Rusty(?) this here is holy ground mate.....HOLY GROUND"

Still gives me that shiver of "gladness" you sometimes get but not often enough....

Fuckin A

Rat

9. The 'penal colony for the English' was Australia, about 1500 miles away (or three hours plane ride today).

Burt came from Invercargill, which the further south you go in New Zealand gains more 'r's in its pronunciation.

I think Burt was originally Bert, but changed the spelling after his first trip to the US. He made several trips there during the 1960s. The movie is an amalgam of some of the incidents that happened to him over the years plus a bit of added drama.

10. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

When I watched it I decided I was going to speed week, Made it the last two years, definatly not disaponted. If you have any want to go just do it it is something else!

11. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I've been wanting to watch that. thanks for the review.

12. firingorder1

firingorder1

First time, second time, third time, doesn't matter. Every time you drop off lands end and onto the salt its a special feeling. Beaten only by the moment you stop after you know you ran fast and you have that quiet moment alone with your machine on the salt while you wait for your crew.

13. Rebracer

Rebracer

Ha, funny I ordered this film last week, it just arrived in the mail yesterday, then I saw this thread! Strange! I havent watched it yet, I will tomorrow. Based on these comments I can't wait.

14. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Isn't that the truth. A friend told me about the exibit at the NHRA museum. The bike was a replica, that shined with new paint ,chrome and a chest plate that had machined holes for the rocker arms. The bike I saw at Bonneville the holes in the chest plate were worn in not machined. But Burt was very down to earth person. I had the pleasure of meeting him and his grand daughter. This picture I took was with the bike on the trailer behind a 60 chevy wagon. Enjoy Photo by Mark Hinds

Attached Files:

15. firingorder1

firingorder1

We've had the Primer Nats, Billetproof etc. Maybe Pebble Beach should change its name to the Haven't Got a Clue How to do a Decent Restoration Nats.

16. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

You know Burt never left the bike alone, alway trying something new. One thing for sure Burt wasn't into shiny. But the old girl got some botox and went Hollywood on us.:D

17. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

I saw the real deal at Davenport Iowa antique motorcycle show and swap meet several years ago. You talk about a bad sounding S.O.B....it was awsome!!! On a sad note the guy that owned, and brought it to the meet. was killed in a car wreck...and his brother took it, and it's now in a museum the last I heard.
    And I agree it was a very good movie...A ++++

Sonny48

LIFE'S A GAMBLE...LET EM' ROLL

18. toddjw73

toddjw73
    from Tracy, CA

Excellent movie! I had to buy it as soon as it hit DVD since I didn't find any theaters that were playing it. Now I need to watch it again.

19. It amazes me how many people missed this movie when it came out...It almost bumped The Blues Brothers off the top of my all time fave movies list...almost...but not quite...

hugh m likes this.
  20. frank spittle

frank spittle

It's not we missed it. It never opened in Charlotte....even to this day it has not. Not even the artsy theaters. I still don't know why unless because as some have posted here when they did go to a theater it WAS playing at only a few people were there.

21. Kenny P

Kenny P

I know I got a little choked up when they gave Burt the "collection" of donations out there on the salt. Then his Happy Dance got me laughin' with watery eyes. Great Movie! I'm going to watch tonite.

22. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

a certain old timer, who will go unnamed (bob mac:rolleyes:) told me he was there when they gave burt that leather sack of cash and that burt used it to treat himself and his new mates to a trip to a brothel in wells.

just after filming this scene, burt's son was on the set and was invited by roger donaldson to speak; he had the original leather sack, which still had "bank of nevada" printed on it!

i was impressed at how tony enters the scene being "silly burt", is brought to tears and roger would say, "cut. back to one.", go over and joke with the crew and come back and do it again and again and keep bring up that emotion from just being the character and being in the moment. that is a true actor!

tony (which is how he introduced himself along with his wife, stella, to me) was an absolute pleasure to meet and watch him perform his craft over and over again!

23. Kenny P

Kenny P

Drofrockology....That is really cool!
    I hope even more Hambers post neat stories like that.
    :)

24. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

25. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Great movie.... I don't care who you are....

26. Make sure you see the "factory" DVD with all the deleted scenes, too.
    I'm with some of the other 'softies" on this board, when he gets to Bonneville for the first time, when they give him the leather punch full of loot, and when the announcer says "201.67" (or whatever it was) it's hard not to tear up a little.
    So, a piston for an Indian is 2 Chevy's and a Ford? LOL

27. That part had a little artistic license. I just re-read HRM from the year they collected $300 for Burt, 62 or 3? That year he ran in the 160's not 200+ like the movie shows.

28. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

exellent movie, amazon has it in stock.just saying

29. RussTee

RussTee

Burt is not forgotten here in fact he is more well known now than he ever was every year now they hold the Burt Munro Challenge in his home town see
    www.burtmunrochallenge.com

30. Camel

Camel
    from oroville

Worlds fastest Indian? Burt Monroe? Wasnt that a Disney movie from the seventies with Kurt Russell or was it Jan Michael Vincent?