Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "The War Of The Air Cars"...Barris Talks About The XPAK 400 !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

TO ALL MY FRIENDS HERE ON THE H.A.M.B...

Last month I featured a great story by our old friend, MARK MORIARITY, on his finding & restoring Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's "ROTAR"...which Ed had put together to, in its own way, compete with George Barris' "XPAK 400".

Digging through my Audio Archives, I thought it was only fitting that I share with you George's personal story of not only how he built the XPAK 400, but how he got the idea for it to begin with !​

SO, here goes:​

THE SPACE AGE WAS UNDERWAY ! Sabre Jets flying overhead, Darryl Starbird's "Predicta" flying low-to-the-ground, Astronaut Alan B. Shephard, as a part of NASA's Project Mercury, was preparing to be America's first man in space by piloting the Freedom 7 spacecraft, and GEORGE BARRIS' "XPAK 400" was hovering above-land at car shows all over the Country !​

When George, John D'Agostino, and I, got together at the KKOA Lead Sled in Salina awhile back, George brought up the subject of not only the future of kustom cars...but how he put his own "space car" the "XPAK 400" into motion. George also told me how his family runs his business today...and about a car his grandson is building. Just click-on right here ...and, Enjoy ! ​

NOTE: George's passion for the hobby/industry comes through loud & clear in all his Interviews, especially this one ! You can hear it in his voice: He LOVES getting new, and young, car buffs into the fold, and always looks to the future !​

2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Johnnie, enjoy these posts and interviews, thanks.

3. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

hugh m...

Many thanks ! This was a great time for a lot of Future Style Kustoms ! And the stories from "those who were there at the time" are priceless to listen to !!

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis