Register now to get rid of these ads!

The thrill of finding an old car tucked away for years..but

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kreal, Dec 22, 2008.

1. agtw31

agtw31

you can still run across a lot of stuff down south.

lots of old yards all over southeastern north carolina near the south carolina border,and the people are still living in the same trailer they bought in '48.

2. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Wow, I cant beleive I just sat here and read the entire thread! Personally I think Paul is for real. But I think the point of the thread was to encourage others to post interesting stories about car finds. I am 63 and have been "searching" for old cars for almost 40 years and still do! and I still find some...

Just last Saturday I was on the oposite side of town and was driving down a narrow street I had never been on when I spotted a truck sitting under a tree half-covered with a blue tarp. I went back and asked about it. It turned out to be a real good start of a hot rod '39 Chevy truck that has been sitting outside for about 10 years. It has a Mustang II front end, a 69 Chevelle rear. a stuck 350/350 Chevy combo. It rolls and steers, has a great cab and bed. All the fenders, hood, and grill are in the bed, complete dash, stock seat, all glass,etc etc. The guy says "I bought this truck just like this from my neighbor lady. I am never going to fix this truck" I make him several fair offers and he says 'its not the money, I dont need the money." So I left thinking, "I dont get it....never going to fix it, dont need the money, just want to let it sit under the tree and rot?" It happens everywhere. I will check back with him some time later to see if he changes his mind.

3. damn glad you never got it, that was an ASS thing to do:mad:

biggeorge likes this.
  4. TexasT

TexasT
    from Texas

They are out there.

5. I deliver Meals on Wheels- had been delivering to a client for a few years- enough so he knew I was a car guy- one day he asked if I would like to see his cars- sure did- how I ended up with my 60 Pontiac- helped him find a couple buyers for some of his other stuff- I never knew any of that stuff was there- 100_1044.JPG

TexasT likes this.
  6. topher5150

topher5150

A couple of years ago I got a job in my hometown and I too would take the back roads home through the country side. One day on my aimless wondering I say a 41 Ford sedan sitting on a trailer, in pieces, next to a corn field. Got to talking to the guy and said he'd sell it for $1,100. It seemed like a solid car and I was about ready to buy it, but something kept bugging me not to went and looked at it again, I know the car I have now has a pretty bad floor, but this cars floors was more dirt then metal. I'm hoping he found someone to buy it he said he was going to move down south I'd hate to see it scrapped.

7. I response to kreal Yes, I am aware that collectors pay finders fees to those who reveal location and contact information about a car they want, however that is going against what I've already stated in this thread - I was lucky enough to be able to see these cars, get close to them, ask questions about them, so I have to be thankful of that and when an owner asks me not to tell anyone about them, or explains how they do not want others to know what they have - it is respectful on my part to uphold that request and not turn them in for a reward.
    I also agree with your morals and conscious.
    I too know where there are some interesting vehicles and will not disclose locations .

I have a friend who has 20-30 vehicles of some value to collectors . All his set outside in the weather. I keep sending him perspective customers to buy his vehicles and to put back on the road . He has had these over 30 years and have not moved. when he has someone chat with him about vehicles he mentions his collection , during the conversations when the individuals mention about buying he immediately clams up and the conversation is over.
    This person will never get a single vehicle back on the road. It is sad to say that when he passes . his vehicles will probably wind up in the crusher.
    Vic

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Read the first post, is it wrong to make assumptions about people pounding on your door or not?

Could argue that these days it's naive not to be suspicious, and he is the rude one. Depends how ya look at it.