Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The snowball effect

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sandgroper, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

IMG_1337.JPG IMG_1338.JPG drove the Vedette to work the other night, 10% chance of rain the forecast said. It started raining at midnight and was still drizzling at 0600 when I knocked off.
    Off I went on the 50 km drive home, big clunk under the dash and wipers stopped working right in morning traffic. Got home and headlights would not turn off. :(

On investigation it was simple, linkage fell off the back of the wiper motor and just needed a circlip.
    That's where it started........
    Took dash out to access rear of wiper motor and replaced clip (I have my doubts if there was one there at all). Found a broken wire to the dimmer switch that was obviously hit by the linkage but couldn't find where it was from. Spent the better part of the day trying to trace the abortion of wiring under the dash and ended up completely rewiring the headlights. Problem solved?
    Went to put the dash back in and found a hot piece of wiring by chance. Traced it and discovered the thermo fan had been wired direct to power and a switch without a fuse or relay. Spent another half day rewiring that correctly.......
    Thought (what was I thinking ?) that I would take off the the wiper motor and have a look at it as it had a bit of slop in the shaft and I was curious as to how it had been adapted to the car. Found this setup.

2. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

IMG_1334.JPG The rubber gear on the bottom was the cause of the slop, I am amazed it worked at all.

3. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Looked around for something similar size to make one out of and thought nylon would be better than rubber so the wife lost a cutting board :eek: :D That we will never speak of again.

4. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

IMG_1335.JPG IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1342.JPG Then I was looking for a spanner (storey of my life) and found this in one of my tool boxes. It's a radiator donut from a late model GM.
    Jigsaw and the wife's bread knife (shoooosh I did wash it and put it back) and came up with this. Works like a dream.

5. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Anyway, to finish my tale of woe and unplanned fix its, I then noticed a few drops of coolant on the garage floor. Yep radiator has a small leak. :(
    Now saving for a new one as this ones aluminium core and can't be soldered.

Has anyone else (most I guess) gone to fix a small issue and ended up fixing a lot more..
    Post it up and make me feel better lol.

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  6. cfmvw

cfmvw

Been down that road many times! In my case, it started out simply enough, but then I said, well, as long as I'm at it...and a simple project took on larger-than-life proportions.

Sandgroper likes this.
  7. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Join the Club

Sandgroper likes this.
  8. To borrow a phrase from a former boss, working on old cars is; "Like wiping your ass with a hoop. There's no end to it!""

Wanderlust and Sandgroper like this.
  9. good job there !

Sandgroper likes this.
  10. The cars we play with are as old as HELL!

chryslerfan55 and Sandgroper like this.
  11. That's how we end up with these cars... The owner gets tired of doing or runs out of money for these 'little fixes'.... LOL...

12. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

There are two aspects to this, the first is what happened to you. You fix one thing and as you do that you see something else that needs fixing. The other is the while I am at it I might as well add this such as adding A/C to
    the car while you are changing that radiator

chryslerfan55 and Sandgroper like this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's called "Mission Creep" or "Project Creep". I am the King. Bow to me.

BJR, hotrodjack33, Tim and 2 others like this.
  14. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Strange you should say that, it's already crossed my mind. Lol. :p

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. “Project creep”. You’re right Root.
    Sometimes it’s a runaway train.
    Welcome to the club.

16. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Its happening........got the front panels off and in to it. Decided if I'm going to change the radiator I might as well make a shroud, new fan etc. lol

17. gene-koning

gene-koning

If that is all the bigger your snowball has grown, you need to come and hang around me for a few weeks, you obviously need more training.

chryslerfan55, Truck64 and Sandgroper like this.
  18. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

Six weeks ago I went to put a new mech. fuel pump in...
    I've now got the car up on four jackstands and I'm re-doing the entire steering system, fixing some body rust, and painting the interior.

Fuel pump's still not in... :confused:

19. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Lol, I try to resist that. Every time I take the instrument panel out I have to stop myself from removing the whole dash and redoing it.
    I'm waiting for winter to do that, weathers too nice at the moment.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I love mission creep, as a remodeling contractor it made me a lot of money over the years, I loved to hear while we are at it might as well....

Truck64 and Sandgroper like this.
  21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, I know you even though we've never met. You're the guy I wouldn't leave my wife alone with after she and I had already agreed on a color for the dining room walls.;)

22. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

:D:D:D

Sandgroper likes this.
  23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I have been guilty of doing it to myself. Went to move a light switch that was installed on the wrong side of the back door. To get at the wiring needed to cut an access hole in the ceiling. Discovered the previous owner had installed a 2nd ceiling over the original. Tore out both layers, discovered the wiring in the ceiling was knob and tube. Tore all that out and replaced it with new. Since ceiling was open put in 6 recessed lights for better lighting. Replaced ceiling and
    finally moved switch. Turned on lights, now the cabinets looked really shabby. Refaced cabinets and made new doors and drawer fronts. Now the counter top really looked bad, tore off and made new counter tops and backsplash.
    At this point the floor was starting to bug me - so I moved.

24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

This is one reason that ordinary repair shops many times don't want to mess with older cars. Everybody wants a quote, and they can't do that. Everything takes longer, and they are never quite sure what they are going to find. Lots of customers try the "just fix what's broke, don't mess with anything else" routine, and that isn't always possible much less safe.

25. gene-koning

gene-koning

And to finish that statement, "just fix what is broke and nothing else" isn't what they want at all, its just what they want to pay for. They expect everything on the car to be perfect for 10 year after any repair you have done.

I'm so happy I've retired and now only fix my junk. At least I know why I stopped when I did. Gene

chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

And anything else that just happened to break or fail while in their shop, or shortly thereafter, is also your fault too, and should of course be replaced on your dime and time.

27. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

All I started to do was prime the carburetor.
    57 Vette dismateled.png

alanp561, chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.