Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Ryno Built *66* shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model.A.keith, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Adventures in hot rodding... life would be boring if you never had to push. Break-downs make for good stories down the road, and you get to meet all sorts of good people. Having said that, I hope the rest of the trip is uneventful, or only as eventful as you want to make it.

2. I took 44 to Tulsa, then cruised 66 from Tulsa to OKC. Surprised I didn't see you along the way since I saw you pull out of the hotel before I did. I had forgotten about this thread, I wish I would've said Hi... I just got back from the UK in July and plan to go next summer again.

3. Ralph

Ralph

Hope no more good parts go bad on you! Thanks for the shot of Roothawg's shop - it's great to see the Drag N Fly again, even if its just tucked in a corner. Roothawg, does it get raced much these days?
    Ralph

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

No Ralph, unfortunately, it is sitting on flats. I just don't have time these days.

5. mow too much

mow too much

So Chris, are they back on the road?

6. Ralph

Ralph

Bummer. Always loved that car. Back to Model A Keith's story!
    Ralph

7. ryno

ryno

yes they are stopped for the night

huge thanks to roothawg and pooch for helping them out. they are like family now, and it was, is very hard to have them broken down, but the [power of the hamb once again came threw, if only the Chinese parts where as reliable as this place...

8. Hoping you got it back on the road today.

9. Glad to hear. Thanks for the update Ryno!

10. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Thanks for all the concern were back on the road again............!

yet another day of emotions......Brent (POOCH on here) came through and got the new rack fitted this morning we were on the road by 2:30, so without wishing to push to hard we have stopped the night in Elk City...........

some pictures from the road.............

some old sections of the Mother road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we took 'Lucille' to meet Lucille's............o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more later when Photobucket decides to play ball.................:(:(:(

K

11. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

ok were back (I think) f**ing hotel Internet....:mad::mad:

we needed a rest room and saw a sign for the Heartland Museum........

http://www.oklahomaheartlandmuseum.com/

a really cool place to visit with some great exhibits and the folks there were glad to show us around and explain everything.......................:)

let the pictures do the talking............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cool piece of History one of the original road graders that was used to construct Route 66

[​IMG]

That's it for today............

I'd like to say a massive thanks to everyone who has helped make this one hell of a trip so far.............

:cool:

K

12. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Let me know when you make ventura...and we can have a taco or two! I am 20 minutes north in Santa Barbara but I will be at the show for the weekend.

13. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Back on the road ...............................:cool:

we left Elk City and headed out on the I40 for a while before jumping onto Rt66......not for long though as the old road was in pretty bad condition and after our recent issues we jumped right of again........:rolleyes:

1st stop of the day was Texola, neat café and a super nice lady who was keen to learn how to make clotted cream as she was going to open a tea rooms next to her Café

Image1580.jpg

[​IMG]

I signed the flag ........;)

[​IMG]

onward............to Shamrock, Conoco Tower, sadly someone had dumped a daily right out in front........:mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cadillac Ranch....props to Ryno who had given me a can of body colour spray paint .....:D...... thanks buddy............

[​IMG]

Artist at work...........

[​IMG]

Half way there....................:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now in Tucumcari NM , nice dip in the pool tonight .......I needed it in so many ways....:eek:

more later

K

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    JRussell likes this.
  14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Glad to hear that you're up & running again . Great pics .

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

What a trip...

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Glad to see you are covering some ground now.....

17. JRussell

JRussell

So great hanging out with you guys !! have a blast on your trip !!

18. Incredible journey, thanks so much for sharing. Back in 2001-2003, drove a Dodge dually and 25ft trailer, for a race car team and was literally ALL over the map. But, never had too much time to stop and smell the roses. Did see a ton of this beautiful country of ours. WAs on Hwy 44 quite a bit.
    After studying some of the Route 66 photos, it is clear as day, that the gang at PIXAR spent allot of time, driving up and down this road, to get inspiration, for their "CARS" cartoon. Coulda' sworn I saw "Tow-Mater" parked alongside one of those vintage gas stations. ;)
    Me and my Bro(MrTomatohead) are planning a trip, in his '55 Ford wagon, for the near future. Pray that most of this cool stuff is still there to check out.
    JT

19. ryno

ryno

glad you guys are enjoying the tour, but i might need some translation on this;
    onward............to Shamrock, Conoco Tower, sadly someone had dumped a daily right out in front........:mad:
    im hoping you mean daily driver, not daily dump....
    looking forward to the talk tonight.

20. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I was wondering the same......

Glad to see you're logging some miles, thanks for taking us along.

21. TexasDart

TexasDart

I'm glad to see they repaired the Neon on the Shamrock station. I went out of my way May 2013 to see this station at night time...only to find out a nasty hail storm had taken out most of the neon, 3 DAYS before. 3 days later in CO I hit a buck and totaled my Crown Vic...but other than that it was a good trip. I actually enjoyed NM part of the route 66 cruise I did. I stayed at the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari and the El Rancho in Gallup NM. Course Sante Fe is pretty cool too. If you want an 'upscale' place to stay in Santa Fe stay at the Hotel SantaFe in downtown Santa Fe. In the hacienda wing you get assigned your own butler.

22. Great trip so far, with minor issues you have gotten taken care of. Have fun the rest of the way.

23. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Hotel parking lot this morning........................maybe I'll get a free set....:rolleyes::D

[​IMG]

so we set off today down I40............most of Rt 66 has been overlaid by the Interstate...

there was a whole lot of this and not much else for many miles...

[​IMG]

we jumped off and headed through Old Downtown Albuquerque................make your mind up it it was a wise decision or not..............;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so back on I40 for a while then we jumped again...............nice new tarmac............:(

[​IMG]

side of the road.........................................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gallup NM tonight................................no room at the El Rancho so were round the corner..

310 miles today .......................................:):):)

K

24. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Guess you weren't paying attention at the back of the class.........:(..........I'll talk to you later young man......;);)

:cool:

25. Keep up the good work Keith, love the photos.

26. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

nice early start this morning....on the road for 07:15................:eek:....thought this was a vacation.....!!!!

IMG_0376.JPG

once again I40 covers most of Rt66 or it is a frontage road that disappears quickly ..........

on the road.......

rte661.JPG

rte662.JPG

First stop

IMG_0383.JPG

we arrived nice and EARLY ............were not used to differing time zones and missed the one at the state line.......... so we were there 1/2 hour before it opened........................:oops::oops::oops::oops:

so back on the road again................

rte663.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

Holbrook AZ...................

IMG_0392.JPG

more later

K

27. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

more from the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook AZ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lost in the crowd..........................

[​IMG]

Back on the road again I40 mostly to Winslow.........................I am constantly amazed by the HAMB.......met a fellow HAMber from Australia............BAD51............we met his family there also on there way out west ........................

[​IMG]

BAD51 took the pic of me parking the 50 'on the corner' thanks Damo...:cool:

[​IMG]

I also mounted the Rt66 plate that Brent (POOCH) had given us a few days back........thanks Brent.:):)

[​IMG]

Flagstaff........

needed a break from the road so we pulled into Old Downtown Flagstaff happened to park next to the one of the oldest buildings in town.................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rt66 out of Flagstaff towards Williams...........:cool:

[​IMG]

Williams AZ which is where we decided to stop for the night........:)

[​IMG]

wish I could swop my chrome out for this................:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a 'Corvette Caravan' in Williams tonight 250 of the things..........................o_O

[​IMG]

That's about it for today...................im knackered.......(translation to follow Ryno..;))

K

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

29. ryno

ryno

from urban dictionary:
    Knackered
    1. Exhausted
    2. Sexually spent
    3. Reprimanded
    4. Broken / malfunctional
    1. I was knackered when I got in from work.
    2. After my seventh ejaculation I was well and truly knackered.
    3. The teacher caught us smoking and now we're going to get really knackered.
    4. I tried to fix my dad's PC but now it's more knackered than eve

glad to see you two crazy kids enjoying the road!

30. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

What a great thread…ROADTRIP!!!!!
    Sounds like your "Rynobuilt" car is doing well now.