Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Rust Ranch!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_DropOut, Apr 1, 2008.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man! It looks soooo good with the almond colored wheels!

2. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

3. von zipper

von zipper

It looks great!!;)

4. Patrick46

Patrick46

I'm hoping to make it up to BPNW in 2 weeks..........hahahhaa....we need to meet!!

My buddy started this car build about 7 years ago!!! (He's the one who painted it black and flamed it!) :eek: That was several owners ago I do believe. :rolleyes:

You've done an OUTSTANDING JOB remodeling and reviving this car back into a drivable piece of art.....WELL DONE SIR!!!! :cool:

Hope to meet you up North!

5. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

I look forward to it Patrick.

----

I had a minor scare on Monday of this week.

After fixing the oil pressure issue I drove it to work to test it out. Was fine with the oil pressure issues. They're buttoned up.

But at closing time a coworker told me that I had a massive fuel leak. Sure enough he was right. Fuel was rapidly dripping from my sending unit wire. I'd just filled the tank! I scrambled to save my gas and my car.

I called the fire department and they wizzed out and slapped some sticky clay stuff on my leak and stopped the leak completely.

Back at home I dropped the tank and boy did that 50 year old tank look shot. It had had enough man.

Surfing the net I could not find a tank anywhere. I looked at Dearborn, Carter, Macs, Falcon parts, Spectra and Doorman to name a few. All forums I read were full of doom and gloom about how Ranchero / Falcon Wagon tanks are not being made and were all SOL.

Guess what? My MOM found a brand new tank on EBAY.

I ordered that sucker and had them put the thing on a bottle rocket direct shippment to my fornt door.

[​IMG]

Part Number F55B. Made by Spectra in Canada. (NOT LISTED ON SPECTRAS WEBSITE!!! or any other web parts dealer including ROCKAUTO)

This tank is beautiful and very accurate. Even the stupid drain plug on the top of the tank is there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other thing that is hard to find is the rubber filler neck tube. Seems that Ranchero and Falcon wagons are out of luck if you shop the specialty shops which focus on Falcons and early Fords. I ordered a 64-65 Ranchero / Wagon filler neck but its ID was too large measuring at 2.5". 60-63 uses 2"

But I found this Gates hose.
    [​IMG]

Part number 24712. It is a Gates fuel neck with a 45 degree angle pre bent. I only had to cut 1” off of it for it to fit properly.

So I’m back in action and ready for the Rose City Round Up! Whew. Knock on wood and cross your fingers for me. Lets hope that the car gods allow me to drive this machine for a few months without interruption.

6. von zipper

von zipper

That's a lot of valuable information! I hope that's the last of your "Gremlins!"

7. pretty amazing results for this little ranchero having life breathed back into it. very great ride and thanks for the details with PIC'S of the build!

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My chevy II wagon is similar, very straight, minimal rust from the rockers up, floor is completely gone. Actually pretty common on cars that have been parked on grass for a while.

9. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Made it to Rose City Round Up! Wonderful event! The Driven Dead did a great job and the weather was perfect too.

Finally got to show my car after 1 year of work and issues - feeling good about that.

Billetproof next and I've go the whole day off for that one.

10. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Billetproof - Made it, even in the rain.

[​IMG]

I had 3" of water on my floorboards. So I might still have some leaks!!! Somewhere?

More to come soon.

Happy 4th,.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  11. MrModelT

MrModelT

Lookin' good as always my friend! Glad you made it to Billetproof with no issues...except Lake Erie on your floorboards...

...I have been there too with my '65 :D

I would loved to have gone with you guys....but the T still isn't done and I have been focusing hard on the big push for Bonneville :(

12. Cooder2

Cooder2
    from tejas

Hey, lookin good!

13. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:cool:Great project. good luck on the water leaks, remove the winshield and reseal? Hackers 1995 ,I haven't seen it but listed as free viewing on line but maybe sucker adds. Tnomoldw When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Knute Rockne

Attached Files:

14. The_Monster

The_Monster

Hey, any new updates on the ranch??

15. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

HOLLY CRAP, has it been almost 1 year since my last post on this thread.

Monster the latest news is that all systems are go.

I've had some fuel tank pressure problems and other nit picky things, but all in all the motor is running like a sewing machine.

Rust and Body issues are almost a thing of the past now! I still have not spotted the mystery water leak, but I know it it coming from the back, not the windows.

I'll be installing the interior soon so that is when I'll post some new photos.

Until then enjoy this photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  16. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

OK, you win 1,000 points. Not only are you right about the quote, but that stupid baby shirt find is like WTF! I like the old movie because it is like the Fast and Furious of its era. The movie is a time capsule that has captured all of the good bad & ugly of that window in time. I would have never guessed that someone would produce a baby shirt, maybe the generation who watched hackers in JR HIGH are now parents???

Funny find my friend.

17. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

The Ranch is getting ready for a LOUD paint job. No more Brown Bag paint job.

And as I prepped the car for paint I discovered two more rust sanctuary's hiding under the tail lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now all is good.

I also finally built a real split exhaust. Loud Paint and Loud Pipes!

18. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

UPDATE: 7/2014

Lots of body work. Lost of rust repairs. Lost of sanding. Lost more sanding. Lots of primmer. Lots of sanding.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Lots of taping, Lots of masking...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Lots of COLOR. Lots and Lots of COLOR!! Bye Bye paper bag brown!! Hello Metallic Lime Green.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Lots of Scallps, Lots of Two Tone, Lots of fun and Lots of happiness!!! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

good thing you did a crawl under, looks like you are will into the floor repairs. great save, looking forward to more updates

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Diggin' on the paint big time!!!

24. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Thanks N.L. its going to look ill!

25. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Here are some updated pics on the paint job progress. I think its really coming together nice!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I cant wait to get this thing out in the sun. I've been staring at it under shop lights this entire time.

haha. more to come.

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. camerl2009

camerl2009

did I just see 1962 and sub frame in the same thread that just seems odd to me I hope it was stronger then the mustang. the paint looks awesome

27. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Yep, the Falcons lead the way to unibody design. The Early Mustangs look very similar to the Falcons in the way way they were constructed. The Falcons were Ford's answer to the European invasion of VW bugs and other thrifty cars. My 62 is a unibody design. It seems strong enough. Even w/ the floor completely removed the doors always shut fine. So it is more ridged than it appears to be.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

I've run out of time. No time to put pin stripes on the Ranch this season. So I decided to button it up, put everything back on and do the pin stripes in the next few months. For now I want to drive this thing before the sets in to stay. I live in Oregon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really turned out better than I expected. This is the most intense paint job I've ever attempted. My drafty carport with cobwebs and alley cat hair did a good job. The color that came out of the cans is really amazing. The metallic looks fantastic in real life. The clear coat turned out pretty darn good too.

Now it's time to put the elbow grease on those wheels and tires and take it around the block a few times.

This thread has been going for the entire time I've owned this car... 6 years. Lots of work and lots of fun. Still more to do.

now that the paint looks nice all of my chrome parts look like A$$! hahahaha.

29. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

I've made an attempt to reestablish links to all of the photos on this thread. After the big HAMB revamp all of my links were broken. Most pages of this thread had no images. Some of the images no longer exsit in my albums. So I've done the best I can to keep this 6 year long thread alive.

I'll keep posting more and we'll hope that this thread will live on.

Thanks for viewing!

30. DAMM! LOOKS KILLER DUDE!