Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Original Big Block Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Locomotive Breath, Feb 3, 2007.

1. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

HA HA.....I love it.....May have a new definition of overkill in the hot rodding dictionary.

Are you related to E.J. Potter by chance??

2. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

There are motor and then there are motors and THEN THERE ARE FUCKING MOTORS!!!!! THAT IS A BIG FUCKING MOTOR!!!

ABSOLUTELY TO COOL, LOVE THE WAY IT LOOKS IN YOUR MUSTANG!!!

Rex

3. shagg'n

shagg'n

Too cool man,nice vision!THat brings "grunt" to a new level.Keep us up on project-we need audio!!!!

4. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Thanks guys, I'll try to get a video of it running soon. The first time I saw Leno's car ( Blastoline ) I had already been working on mine for a few months. I just wish I had his money to play with.

5. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

COOOOOOOOOLL. Now that is a Big Block Ford. I love it,damn.

6. caddydave

caddydave

j-jock likes this.
  7. brown n down

brown n down

8. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

wow wheres the zoomies?

9. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

That Fuckin' Engine Sounds Like It Will Punch A Hole In Your Chest Gawl Damn

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

that's the dog's balls right there!

the reason more of these aren't around here is that unlike planes it cost more for the army to bring the tanks back home after the war than they were worth. when the war in the pacific was over they were left or melted for scrap. ford did develop that motor for airplanes but it was developed as a twelve cylinder. this is why it was 60 degree. (60 degree 12 cylinders have perfect balance) the army wanted a smaller physical size engine for the tanks so the engineers lopped off 4 cylinders threw in a different crank and started pumping out motors. I've read quite a bit about these tanks/motors and it seems one of the first things that the tank mechs did when they got the tanks was screw with the governer to get another 500 rpm out of the motors. got them alot of added horspower and they never failed.

natedeville likes this.
  11. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

That thing. Is amazing.

I want one now.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There's a reallydamngood book out now (title "Death Traps", I believe) that is the memoir of a guy who was in charge of maintenance and recovery for an armored division in France&Germany in WWII; one of his main tenets was choosing only Ford powered tanks from the pool when he was allowed replacement vehicles for combat losses. It's really good both as a WWII piece and as a gearhead book!
    I believe Chrysler powered ones were held back for training duty and the diesels went to the Russians. Fords and Radials were in most USA ones in Combat.
    I actually owned a Sherman motor briefly...found it in the Garbage here in Madison, brought it home in my little red wagon...really! It was the "Little Joe" engine, a 1-cylinder two stroke that lived right under the tuttet ring in a Sherman...it ran the generator to keep radios functional in parked tanks, and its exhaust was apparently run into a hot-air heater arrangement to keep crew from freezing. Don't know its displacement, but it must have weighed about 50 lbs...you should find one and make a Sherman-powered go kart to go with your Mustang!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I believe that is the raddest shit I've ever seen.

I hope you've got a mullet that can keep up with all that motor...

14. caddydave

caddydave

Supposedly this V-8 shares the same bore, stroke, and bore spacing as a RR merlin V-12. Ford took 4 of the cylinders off to help create the tank engine.
    I've read that the diesel Shermans were actually used by the Canadians. Death trap is a really good read. It will give you some insight as to how these vehicles were kept in running condition out in the field. U.S. armor had to be repaired in the field in make shift repair areas. The Germans planned on returning their broken or damaged tanks by rail to the factories for repairs. A certain percentage of factory floor space was reserved for the repair of damaged vehicles. Because of extensive allied bombing the return of damaged vehicles was never really possible in great numbers.

The Germans also hoped to transport their heavy armor as close as possible to the battlefield. Once again, because of allied bombing this was often difficult. They were forced to actually drive to the battlefields and the increased wear and tear was a real problem for their more complicated, more difficult to repair and maintain tanks.

15. The Big M

The Big M

That car is the precise opposite of a mullet. The party is in the front...:D

16. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

And I thought a Boss 429 could be cubed up.....

That thing looks like a cartoon with the front end mounted!!

PACO

17. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

When I first did the mockup it kinda reminded me of those Zinger model cars that were popular when I was a kid.

18. mikew

mikew

OMG!!!

That has to be murder on the front coils. I can just see it lifting the front wheels with the torque that it's putting out, and then smashing the coils when it comes back down...

Sure would be fun to find out... ;-)

mike

19. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Thats why the 2 blowers aren't sitting on it yet. The radiator will be in back, along with the 2nd fuel cell, batterys, etc. I think its going to ok though. I weigh 240, and I can't make it come close to bottoming out jumping up and down on the front end. It really doesn't weigh much more than a blown iron Hemi or BBC would.

20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Can I get a HELL YEAH!?!?!?
    You plan on drivin' that Mustang??? How ya gonna see??:eek: hahaha!!! I WANT a RIDE!!!!:D

I can see one of them engines mount in the bed of an old Econoline!!!

21. Now that is the original mountain motor! The pic of the car with the front end sheetmetal made me think of the Zingers as well.

22. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Old Ed Roth must have envisioned that Stang before he started painting those t-shirts way back when!;)

23. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I don't even know what to say. I giggled like a school girl just reading this. I'm so excited and I'll probably never even see the damn thing. The fact that it weighs to relatively little astounds me. It's too bad you won't have enough gas to do anything except floor it once. There is an Allison V12 race boat by my house and I talked to the owner who told me that there was only about 45 minutes worth of gas in the thing at best. But, he said, the good news is that you can be on the other side of the planet in those 45 minutes. I like that way of thinking.

24. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

Can't imagine 1100 cube @ 5000 rpm. 1050 ft/lbs of torque! Can you say roadranger? looks like a 3208 in the background, do i dare ask what you are going to do with that?

tc

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This thing cries out for a set of OEM looking emblems and decals that say "Boss 1100".

26. I believe the turbo one was owned by a friend 50 miles away. His brother was the one with the imagination. He ran fe Ford's in his tractor before the tank engine. Their shop burnt down and that was the end of the tractor and the racing.

27. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

HOLY HELL that is fuckin AWESOME!!! i was just reading about Fords in volvement in military materiel in WWII. realy the entire history of Ford but i just got past the WWII era. great stuff.

28. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Yawn...Oh, wait...W.T.F.!!!! OHHH MY MY Fing GD!!! YOU ROCK.

29. Where can I find one?!! I have a perfect project for one of these engines.

Steve

30. 6-71Kid

6-71Kid

That thing is Sweeeeeeet.:D