Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Ones That Got Away?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maco-B, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Maco-B

Maco-B

I know we all have some cars we wish we would have never sold. Be honest when you post...Please. This is a list of mine that I "wish" I still had. 67 chev 1/2 ton 327 4bbl. 67 Camaro 327. 68 Buick Wildcat Convertable 430 4bbl. 68 Chevelle 396 4sp. 72 Monte Carlo 402 /400 12 bolt posi. 75 Monte Carlo 454/400 moonroof/swivel buckets /p/w p/l and a 4:56 12 bolt posi. What were your's

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  2. motorhead711

motorhead711

Had a 1954 chevy two door del ray. Shaved emblems, frenched headlights, custom inset power antenae, chromes with stock chevy hubcaps. Midnight blue lite metallica paint, muncie 3 speed with no synchros from 2nd to 1st, 4:11 posi rear end, 235 thriftmaster 6 cylinder my brother built. Balanced and blue printed block, clifford split manifold, holly 850, duel exhast. Damn, i miss her!!! It was a choice, either keep the 54 chev, or keep the 59 impala we just picked up from my great grandmother....I kept the impy.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

'68 Camaro 327/2-speed 'glide with manual drop top that I sold to my buddy back in '78.. He ended up restoring it and installing a '68 350 block and heads plus all the SS/RS parts he could scrouge up. It turned out beautiful! He still has that car today and it ain't for sale. :(

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought a 1964 Mercury Comet in 1975 for $300. I was 18 years old. The car had a bit of bondo around the rear wheel openings, and the trans was bad, but man, the 289 ran gooooood! And it looked sweet in black on black, and some fake "five-spoke" wheel-covers. I was driving a crappy little '63 Valiant at the time, and it ran good too, but...well, you know...it looked crappy. LOL. I was so happy to get that Comet. To this day, I don't know if it was a Cyclone or a Caliente or both. Someone told me that it had to be one or the other, but damn me if it didn't have both insignias...one on the front fender, and one on the quarter-panel. The Comet was the high performance version, and the Caliente was the top trim-package. It sure seemed to me to be both. The four barrel carb-equipped engine ran so good, and when I'd shut it off it stopped turning immediately...like it had high compression. And it did have the wooden-rimmed steering-wheel, and console, etc. Anyway, one evening the Valiant wouldn't start, and I had to leave it. Somebody vandalized it that night, and it got towed away to boot. I already had bought a replacement trans for the Comet and had the car at a local shop for them to do the swap, but they were taking forever, and now I needed the car fixed ASAP, so as to not loose my job. I decided to do it myself with the help of a friend. I took the car from the shop, but they had "lost" the crossmember. Yeah, right. My friend made a new crossmember for me, and we installed the trans. Took off down the road for a test run...ran great. But it was laying down a pure-white smoke-screen like you never saw! In short order, the trans started to slip. I parked the car, borrowed a friend's car, and went to work. I had missed four days of work without calling them, and when I got there in the morning, the boss came over and said, "Out". Lost my job. Ended up selling the Comet for $80, and joining the Army. Only in later years, did I pretty-much figure out what had happened. I do remember having to adapt a line-fitting or two. I believe I actually had switched the vacuum-modulator line with the transmission cooler-line. I had connected the cooler-line to the intake-manifold, and was injecting a large amount of trans-fluid directly into the engine! It was either that, or the replacement trans I bought had a ripped diaphram in the modulator. Regardless...it pretty much screwed me up good. Selling that car and joining the Army was a hasty and baaaaaad decision that I made out of panic...no job...no running car...no money left...no real place to stay. I sure did like that Comet...

Not long after getting out of the Army, I bought a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner for only $900. 383 with dual Carter 4-barrels, headers, 4-speed, Dana truck axle, lifted front and rear, slotted mags. It was fast...but I needed to replace the clutch. Got the trans out, and was told I couldn't keep it where I was staying. Put it at a friend's of a friend's house. Couple days later, they were gone, and so was the car. Luuuuuved that Roadrunner.

Not long after, I bought a 1970 AMC Javelin SST. 390, Holley four-barrel, automatic trans, limited slip rear. Lost that car too...towed...didn't have the money to get it from the impound. Ffffffffffuck!

Not long after that, I bought a 1972 Chevy C10 step-side pickup truck. I hopped up the V-8, installed a four-speed, and slammed it. After a while, I decided to sell it. Put it up for sale on a city street. Next morning...gone...stolen.

I still frequently kick my own ass over the loss of those four cars, and the circumstances surrounding it. Mostly all my own fault. Young and stupid I was.

Just a couple of months ago, I had to sell my '37 Chevy coupe because of financial difficulties. I'll probably always regret that too, though it was the right decision...it kept us from having to move from the farm my wife and I live on. Would've preferred to sell one or two of my other cars, but the one I liked best was also the one everybody else liked best, and that's the one that sold. Grumble, grumble, grumble. I hope that one of these days before I get too damned old and die, that I can buy or build a really cool, bad-ass car that I'll be able to KEEP!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010

5. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

i had a 57 chevy 2 door post that my brother made me get rid of. and my 57 chevy convertible that i sold about 20 years i ago.thanks

6. 46achers

46achers

Had a very nice 42 Ford Coupe with a Merc Flat head, wife got behind on paying bills and had to sell it. Have searched for it to get it back, no where to be found.

7. Maco-B

Maco-B

8. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

All of them.
    I whish i would own a hanger

9. olskool34

olskool34

When I was about 17 years old, I dated this girl who said there were old cars and an abandoned house next to her house. I walked over there one day and way in the back, up in the woods were some very old cars. There was a 1939 ford two door sedan and a 1933 ford 4 door that were almost too nice to be in the woods. They had been there forever but were still nice. I just went up there last year (now 31) and all is gone. I wanted that 33 so bad and was almost ready to pull it out but we broke up and that was that. I remember it vividly, original green paint, a perfect grille and one broken window, the rear. I think about it often and how I had the chance and blew it.

10. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

Take the chance were u got it.
    Feel sorry for you.
    Have done that so many times.
    Have this cadillac 53 now that i`m not for sure???????????????????????

11. Maco-B

Maco-B

Thank you for that. Thank's for your honesty.

12. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

A guy had one of those old Skylarks(53?) up on a rack at a transmission shop, around 1982, needing some trans work. He wanted to trade me straight up for my completely plain (but operational) 1966 pontiac Tempest.
    Dammit!

13. I know this is an old one. Just figured I'd chime in. There is a lot I wish I never got rid of but the one I miss most is a '49 merc woody we found in a barn in east Montana. Got it from the old timer for $800. Didn't get to complete it bit the guy we sold it to sends pics and it's a beaut.

14. My 1955 Buick Special Convertible. It was a local car that I bought from the original owner in about 1981. It had the small nailhead in it (264?). There was a little bit of rust in the door bottoms but the interior was perfect and so was the top. The original owner had shaved the emblems in about 1959 and had made a cool tonneau cover that matched the interior. I paid $800 for it because it had a blown head gasket. I did a valve job and replaced the head gaskets and drove it. The big car with the little V8 and the Dynaflow wouldn't win any races but what a great beach cruiser. I can still feel the sun, the wind in my hair, and the sound of that little nailhead purring as the car floated down the coast highway like a big tuna boat. I had a lot of fun in that car and wished to hell I had never sold it.

15. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Hmmm, sold my 36 coupe back in 1983. Only bit of bog in that car, was a small square piece added to inside of 37 license plate bracket to look like 36.
    42 Merc 100hp flatty. A real chic magnet. Nice thing is, 30 years on and still see it at annual Beach Hop.

Attached Files:

16. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Still got EVERY CAR ( worth keepin' ) stashed comfortably in my garage. Both 'Vettes (65- 71 ) 67 Chevelle, 29 Ford sedan, 54 BelAir, 76 Allison Dune Buggy and my 50 C.O.E. Only ones I sold were newer drivers, for NEWER drivers. Sure Glad my wife likes 'em as much as I do !!

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

1. '55 Chevy 210, 327 & 4 speed with 4:56's. Stolen from work in '75.
    2. '68 Corvette roadster, 454 & 4 speed with 4:88's.
    3. '32 3 window, 350/350
    4. '65 Biscayne, 454 & 6 speed.

18. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

The old Road Toad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and what it looks like now...

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, das858 and chevy57dude like this.
  19. Muttley

Muttley

Out of all the cars I've owned the only one I really miss is my old '67 Malibu.

20. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

I purchased this car sight unseen, back in the late 90s. I sold everything I owned (literally), just to get it. The minuite I started down the road, I realized it had a Cracked block, that the seller failed to disclose during the purchase. I kept it for a week, and ended up having to trade it for a late model to get to work. 20211127_094631.jpeg

21. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

This was the car I drove in High school in the early '90s, in Wichita Falls Tx. I ended up losing it in a divorce, and it ended up at Copper State Classics, in Arizona. I tried to purchase her from them in 2018, but they instead, cut her up, for parts. FB_IMG_1635037271686.jpeg FB_IMG_1635035763464.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  22. Butch M

Butch M

I wish i had it back IMG_0153.JPG

rod1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Oboy,,, '26 Studebaker 4 door, 29 A cabriolet, 32 Chev cpe, 35 Ford slant 2dr, 41 Ford Deluxe bus cpe, 50 Plymouth 2door 30,000 mi., 53 Ford 2dr, 55 Nomad, 56 Dodge D500 Hemi, 60 Ford Sunliner, 62 sunroof Beetle, two 64 conv Cutlasses, 65 Chevelle SW, 65 Malibu SS.
    I hope they miss me too!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and Papas32 like this.