Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE oldsmobile rocket 303 324 371 394 post to end all other posts, (lasalle related )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RocketDaemon, Dec 19, 2006.

1. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I'm wanting to oil prime my 303 and I think I read somewhere that you can't prime it like a sbc, being that the oiling system is timed by the rotation of the engine. Is there any position that I can rotate the engine so the oil passages will line up.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Using a drill and a cutoff dist shaft is what I do and then rotate the engine a 1/4 of a turn, repeat, repeat etc.

golferforpar likes this.
  3. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I understand. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Damn, there was a good explanation about priming the Olds on the thread about Cactus' roadster from 1959, but it got lost in the site crash! :(

5. gonzo

gonzo

Like @vtwhead said. I took an old distributor and machined off the gear. Spin that with a drill and rotate the motor over a few times by hand until you see oil coming out of the rocker arms, at which point you should be good to go.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Be sure to spin it counterclockwise

vtwhead likes this.
  7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Spin the oil pump counterclockwise,
    Turn the engine over clockwise

8. mineseats9

mineseats9
    from Omaha

Can anyone identify the air cleaner housing pictured. Bought it and the valve covers today. The valve covers are 57-58 371 and he said the air cleaner will fit a '57 J2. The price was good enough that I took his word for it. Thanks.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Thanks Paul

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oldfordtin likes this.
  10. never seen that air cleaner before but if it fits I would say that is a great find!

11. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Is a Rocket 88 with a 303 capable of going 100 mph in second gear using the stock three speed or the automatic? There is a '49 with a 303 for sale at HMN and this is part of the discussion.

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

with the right parts combination and attention to detail I would think this is doable.
    it would of course have to be a "race car" as no one in their right mind would do this on the street.

Early Ironman likes this.
  13. Paul, I believe the operative words here are "in their right mind" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Wrench666 likes this.
  14. gonzo

gonzo

Can anyone ID this carb? I believe it’s off of a 51-53 Oldsmobile. It has a 7.25” throttle shaft, I’m looking for a replacement shaft or carb base.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I don't think those are "operative words" here.

16. the pinstriper

the pinstriper
    from duxford UK

Picked this up off U.S. eBay and had it shipped to the UK. Ports don't match up! More searching shows this is an early olds intake? My engine is a '62 394

Attached Files:

17. that sucks for sure. Had you known you could have asked us about the model number. We could have helped you on that. Lots of good info stored here in these forum minds!

18. the pinstriper

the pinstriper
    from duxford UK

Gutted, import and shipping made that a big mistake! Off to the classifieds it goes

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sometimes we do that, the great deal just doesn't pan out. I've got a few of this deals sitting around.:(

20. gonzo

gonzo

Since that intake should work on '49-56 motors I'd say your pool of potential buyers just went up. Hopefully you'll at least recoup your cost.

21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Anybody know of a oil filter relocation kit for 324? Or a how to do it info? 56 if that matters. Thanks all

22. They by-pass adaptors pop up for sale with some frequency. Reach out to @GOATROPER02 as I think he makes new ones. Basically, you take off the oil filter housing and block mount, attached the new by-pass, then run lines up to your firewall, or wherever you're mounting a remote oil filter. Pretty straight forward.

I did recently see a picture of stock housing modified to be used as an oil filter by-pass. Not sure on the work involved though.

Picture from the Offy catalogue of the by-pass is attached. Lower right.
    Offenhauser Catalog.jpg

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thanks Mr Canuc.

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the one in the catalog page above uses the stock pressure relief ball, spring and plug.
    there is also an aftermarket version without the pressure relief.
    both are relatively common,
    but a while ago I needed one but didn't have the time to go on the hunt and wait for shipping when I did find one,
    so I made the no pressure relief style out of steel,
    only took a couple hours and did the job fine.

20170413_091301.jpg 20170413_091310.jpg 20170413_133535.jpg

warbird1 likes this.
  25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nice, looks like a 32, where did the filter end up?

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

tucked up under and out of sight

20170413_134544.jpg

27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I like it, I wonder just fo giggles If I could put a check valve in place. What does the check serve anyway, to keep dirty oil from gravitation back to block? Thanks Paul for taking the time to help me out.

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

If you are refering to the pressure relief valve it's job was to maintain oil pressure even with restricted (dirty) oil filter

29. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Will something like work for you. I think I have another one laying around [​IMG] [​IMG]i just got to show a pic of my 303. Almost done

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app