Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE oldsmobile rocket 303 324 371 394 post to end all other posts, (lasalle related )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RocketDaemon, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Correction: Although referred to as a Frankenstein Magneto a few times in this post, this mag doesn't have a specific name, but is most commonly called a Harmon/Collins style, Schieffer, or Cirello-Schieffer Magneto. Cirello did make and market a Frankenstein Magneto ( with bitchen graphics ) I will enclose a link to a Cirello page.
    Damon, cool idea with consolidating everything. I will try to get you some pics of some junk I have collecting dust. D.

www.nitrogeezers.com/Cirello Two.htm

2. Yes you can. It will cost a little bit of dough though. Just ask Coaltown-- LOL

3. RetroJoe

RetroJoe

I'm afraid to ask now! I guess it would be cheaper to install a Chevy motor/trans in it, but I would be killed by the Olds guys!

4. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

if you had read the link adresses you would have found this page

www.transmissionadapters.com

5. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

my sharp intake... rare as they come...

cant believe i was first in line on those edmunds valve covers and had to pass

Attached Files:

• $450.jpg
      $450.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
  6. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Hey Daemon... what happened to the photos???

7. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

Hey everyone, photos is "gone" just because i apperantly have to pay for the fotki.com service, so either i will pay or find another photosite, don't mind the paying part if somethign works fine, might change to photobucket if thats better

photoswill be back in a couple of days along with more pics i saved.
    havent had time to manage this thread yet, but i havent forgotten about it i will keep on posting here!

http://public.fotki.com/oldsrocket/
    pics can still be seen there though, linking just dont work right now

8. Rocket

Rocket
    from Austin Tx

good thread thanks for sharing

9. S.F.

S.F.

Was the 57 J-2 the only olds rocket to come stock with tri-power?

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It was available in '57-'58.

11. 55olds88

55olds88

also check the Tech there is a DIY adaptor for later auto in there.

12. vintakes

vintakes

olds cam and lifters
    49-55 cams interchange app 1 3/4" cam bearing dia lifters same dia as chevy
    56-58 cams app 2" cam bearing dia use large 921 lifters
    59-64 cams longer than 58 also uses 921 dia lifters
    late model olds diesels use 921 lifters simply collaspse to make into a solid lifter
    not sure when olds went to the larger cam journal sizes or if any motors carried over in yrs john

13. nummnut

nummnut

keep it comeing grat post.thanks

14. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

I'd really be interested in the mcculloch supercharger info/ brackets for the olds. I was thinking about puting one on mine because they put out a low amount of boost and my motor has high comp with the jahns pop tops.

15. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

this is outta the years dicussed here but the 66 442 had a dealer installed optional 3x2 set up avalible.

16. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

The only Olds years ever available from the factory with 3x2 was '57-8 and '66. J2 was '57-8 371 only.

17. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

My comment was in addition to the J-2 from 57 and 58.

Another addition: Not all J-2 manifolds came as J-2s.
    Explaination: My father bought a 58 Olds in 1958. Car came as a 2bbl and had a J-2 intake with plates over the end carb mounting positions.
    he told me this years ago in conversation about car stuff. He was a General Foreman in the Engine Plant at Olds in Lansing. Said quality was different then. It was a way to lose the inventory not sold. (ordered as J-2s)

18. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

What happened to the pics? :(

19. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i'd like to know that too.

we should work on this so i can stop getting phone calls and PMs alll the damn time.

BTW anybody who is curious,NO, i will not rebuild your hydro,NO, i do not have a "spare" flywheel,and NO, i do not have any adjustable rocker arms.

i WILL photocopy articles and service manuals,and i WILL help you adjust your hydro if you live nearby,and if you are willing to pay for the pizza.

20. Transmission adapter:

Cragar 301A ,1949-1964 Oldsmobile V8 mates to Early Ford Transmission, Plate Style Adapter, Comes with pilot bearing adapters.

I have 3 of these, and they are FOR SALE!

21. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Here's a Chevy that ended up with an Old's,,lol,,,though supposedly it was the thing to do back in the day
    [​IMG]

22. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

This thread RULES! Its like a beacon to a fella in my situation!
    Does anyone know what engines will bolt up to a 55' olds hydramatic? Second question: Does anyone have an engine that'll bolt up to this transmission they are interested in selling?

23. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

BEHOLD pictures are back up!, coughed up 30 bux for an 1 year subscription to fotki
    added some pictures in the album , added a picture of my supercharger setup also

24. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

When are you gonna add a picture of you boxing the supercharger setup up to send it to me? ;)

25. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

any 1949-1964 olds engine
    or cadillac 1949-1954

or getting an correct bellhousing you could put it on an csb

but i would of course recommend the oldsmobile route :)

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

three bells for the Olds motor to Cad Lasalle transmission
    two aftermarket one stock

Attached Files:

51 mercules likes this.
  27. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

DAEMON i just caught this thread for the first time. WoW great thread , im finishing up my build on my blown 394 for my 37 chevy gasser. and in the process of that build i have learned the HARD way how to identify weiand WO671 intakes. In the picture you posted of yor 394 blower setup. take a close look at the intake mounting holes and you will notice they are drilled in a slightly different position in the cast in space provided in the raw casting (easy to notice on the center ones)as Weiand used the same casting for all years 49-64. (besides the diff. in pop off location) they just drilled the mounting
    holes for the different years in just slightly different spots. The pic you posted (labled 394 blower setup) is of a 49-56 WO671 intake . Here is one of a 59-64 394" WO671 notice the hole location in the center. Dont be fooled by port size on these intakes most have been cut. as i stated i have learned the hard way as i own 4 of these.
    weiand did stamp a number or a letter between Weiand and WO671

"56" or "A" = 54-56
    "57" or "58" or "B"= 57-58
    "59" or "C" = 59-64

i hope this helps the post , ill take some pics of my goodies and post em. Thanks

Attached Files:

28. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

Hey!

ohh so i don't have an 394 blower intake afterall?
    well goodthing is that i got several olds engines, 303,324,371,and 2 394's so i can use it on another engine instead :)
    but darn in that case my plans for my 1934 coupe is alittle bit halted at the moment though .

29. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

well the one i have pictured is a extra 394 one i have . anything to trade? what is your manifold stamped number or letter?

30. TrailerTrash

TrailerTrash
    1. Hydro Tech

Man, here i thought you had to swear a blood oath not to divulge this info in order to have access to these "secrets"...LOL!
    Thanks RocketDaemon for taking the time to share this with us!!