Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Official [Ed] Winfield Speed Equipment Thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

There are alternatives to the lifelong pursuit of mythological creatures... we can make them now!

F35BB5B5-751E-4020-9907-D48642335F51.jpeg 4CE663E4-3EEE-46A8-9999-CBC74C4A8176.jpeg

Outback, Jeff34, Dean Lowe and 9 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That certainly is a great use of technology...I'm sure you're pretty happy with the outcome there...looks awesome and surely it performs just as well...and x2 means Hotrod...oh yeah...;)

Outback likes this.
  3. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Thanks Stogy! I still have my fingers crossed in hopes of smooth running and reliability. But this is part of a much bigger project that is still waiting its turn. I keep telling myself it’ll happen “this winter”...:eek:

1D2DE027-FCC8-47F4-8D8D-66B1FFA860FE.jpeg

Dean Lowe, Outback, Jeff34 and 8 others like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Art that goes...that sure is something to be proud of...

5. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Here’s a Model M-B that popped up on the Model T classifieds;

https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30742

A bit spendy for just a float... but making one from scratch will cost a bunch more! Don’t ask how I know :eek:

4F72EDDD-A6FF-4A5A-8B3F-3E95406646AF.jpeg 31D6A35C-2389-4C6E-9750-6447F1F6929E.jpeg

Dean Lowe, Outback, rod1 and 4 others like this.
  6. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

1-19.jpeg

These are photos are from the pages of an original Fronty Ford May 15, 1929 catalog that show Winfield barrel-valve carbs and manifolds that Fronty may have made for their cylinder heads. Above and below is the induction system with a tall ram tube they offered for their 16-valve DOHC Model T based engines. These engines would rev up to 6,ooo rpm.

1-18.jpg 1-19.jpg

Above is a Winfield barrel-valve carb and manifold (I'm looking for this manifold) offered for use on a Fronty SR SOHC conversion and the standard SR head with rocker-arm heads. The rocker-arm heads would spin up to 4,000 rpm and the SOHC head at 5,000 plus.

Below is a nice original untouched SR C carb that we will use on this Fronty racing engine with an SR head engine fitted to our original unrestored early Model T Ford racing car in 1926 or '27. This is the head I was thinking of adapting a S 66 manifold to but the 1-3/8" port runners are to small. The aftermarket 1-5/8" ID intake manifold in the photo is a spare for our Rajo BB head modified for racing use. The Fronty head below has the same size 1-5/8" ports and 9.5" c to c distance as the Rajo. The thin flanges need work so it may get a set of new vertical flanges so it to bolt onto this head unless something better comes along.
    1-20.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Jeff34, Dean Lowe, 303racer and 9 others like this.
  7. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

Just read this entire thread
    must admit I don’t know much about Ed Winfield
    I have learned a lot in this thread
    but
    I searched for him on Wikipedia, unbelievable that he doesn’t come up
    I wish I knew more about his life in detail

Outback likes this.
  8. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Take a look at this article...

https://www.nwvs.org/Technical/2104EdWinfield.pdf

9. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

Thank you
    a very interesting read
    I’m a novice to the old school hotroding
    have been reading many of the posts and builds of old school roadsters and speedsters
    this forum is a great source for me
    the past is the future

Carter likes this.
  10. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

After discussion over at the Banger meet I was directed here, a great read & worth a bump! :D

11. Don Bamber

Don Bamber

There’s some great information here, a really good read.
    Can anyone answer a question on Winfield carburettors….
    I have two Model S A’s that I’m planning to run with a twin updraft manifold.
    The motor has a ‘touring’ cam, Scat crank, lightened flywheel, FSI, full pressure oiling, aluminium Winfield head.
    It runs really well with twin 81’s at the moment.
    Will the two Winfields be comparable to the 81’s?
    I’m transferring the engine from my roadster to my Sedan for street/touring use so I’d be happy with a bit less performance….
    Any thoughts.
    Thanks for looking.

12. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Here are my calculations for the flow rates of Winfield S/SR series carbs. These numbers are based upon the actual flow rate of a S-B with the 90 degree choke horn installed. As I recall the 81’s are somewhere in the 110-120 cfm range…

926A26D9-F787-46F0-B1A1-F11E4885AB90.jpeg

Carter and loudbang like this.
  13. Cliff Ward

Cliff Ward

Question here for the group...Did Winfield make size specific right angle Choke horns for the S/SR "AA" and BB" carburetors, or were the next larger size used? I have a couple of "AA" carbs, both with "B" choke horns, and a "BB" carburetor with a "C" choke horn. FWIW, I also have an "A" Winfield carburetor with an "A" choke horn.

Admittedly I have not seen a lot of Winfield equipment, but I don't remember ever seeing a "AA" or "BB" right angle choke horn.

Trying to figure out if what I have on my Winfield carbs is correct or if I need to keep an eye out for different choke horns.

14. Elrod

Elrod

My twin AA has S-41-B right angle choke horns on them. You may be right.

15. Carter

Carter

Choke horn sizes are as follows:
    A throttle body = A choke horn
    AA or B throttle body = B choke horn
    BB or C throttle body = C choke horn
    CC or D throttle body = D choke horn

brjnelson and 62pan like this.
  16. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

^^^^^^^^^Absolutely correct! Note that Model S and SR both use the same S-41-“X” choke horns

Carter likes this.
  17. Cliff Ward

Cliff Ward

Thank you everyone for answers on my choke horn question...good to know I have things matched up correctly. Now to break down the couple I need to rebuild to see if my internals are correct...I'll post some photos as I do so so other newbies can learn from my journey...

Carter likes this.
  18. Antti

Antti

Question: Did Winfield make also "Green Head" for trucks with rather low 5 to 1 compression ratio? I have had my head for maybe 15 years. Was going to put it on my Model B engine, but used Model A "police head" instead. Problem with my Winfield head was that fly cut above piston was so low that I was afraid that pistons would hit the head. Engine is now sold, but I still have this head. I think that head has been milled and someone has put a new marking (6) on it to represent a current compression ratio, at least it does not have serial number after the first digit.

Attached Files:

G Baese, Carter and Outback like this.
  19. Roadsterguy1930

Roadsterguy1930

My current project. Model B block running a original cragar over head and dual Winfield carbs.

Attached Files:

Mikko_, G Baese and Carter like this.
  20. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

^^^^^^^^^
    WOWZA!!! Lookin great!:cool:

Carter and Roadsterguy1930 like this.