Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Are you running the linkage progressive? If so, it'll probably run better with the primaries 1 to 1. I did a 383 Chevy for a guy at church awhile back. On the dyno, it hated the linkage progressive. Also, if you advance the cam 6-8 deg. ( int. In @ 98-100deg.) it'll pick up the bottom and mid range a bunch. If you are running a curve in the distributor, I'd have it all in really quick, by 2000-2500rpm max with plenty of initial, like 25deg. Personally I'd lock it out, but some guys like a little curve, so it doesn't strain against the starter. Do you leave loaded up hard against the converter, or leave low and flash the converter?

2. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Non progressive linkage, and I do not run the distributor locked out and close to the specs you mentioned. And I do leave against the convertor.

Jon

Sent from my LG-MS770 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Very cool you have a gear box in it (which one are you running), sounds like it'll be a bunch quicker this year.

4. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Still running a good ol muncie ! Lol I'm sure it's on borrowed time?

5. M20,21,or 22? What gear ratio's?

6. Does the engine bog, or pull down low, then come back up when you leave the starting line. The one thing that's a bit of a bummer, is the non adjustable air valves on AFB's. If they don't open soon enough, you have to lighten the weights, and if they open too soon, you have to add weight. Have you ever tried leaving at a lower rpm, and "flashing" the converter?

7. Ok, me and Marc talked last night, and though we gave you a super top secret, tiny tiny, top of the iceberg taste of the skunk works of what we're doing.., we gotta go silent, stealth, you know, Ninja Mode, from here on out. We don't want the north to find out ANYTHING!.
    ,Ssshhhhhh!

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How much have you guys played with the 383 mopars I have been thinking about changing heads and cam but not sure if the heads I have will help or hurt.
    Right now it has one 609 and one 452 head on it and I have a pair of 519 that will help comp but the reading I do says thay dont flow as well. Not sure if comp is more important than flow.

9. The open chamber 906/452 heads (452's have hardened seats) do flow better than the 516/915 heads in the low to mid lift area because the int. valve is unshrouded better. However with a little chamber work on the 915's, it is a better choice. The 516 is a small valve head, and there are some 915's "motorhome" heads with 1.600 exh. valves, intead of the bigger 1.720 valve that came in the 375HP '67 440" 4bbl engines. You can also do a big mill job on the 906/452's but may have to get custom length pushrods then.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was thinking about cutting down the 906 or even welding them up to close the chambers. I have some heads to play with. How much would you guess one could cut off the 906 heads?

11. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Yeah, man, I was wonderin' where all this high-dollar, go-fast stuff was comin' from...last I heard, we were replacin' the 6 cylinder that's in it with a 265 with a 2 barrel and single exhaust & a powerglide???

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Marc,
    If you're really gonna sucker somebody,act like its a HUGE deal that the car has "a Holley 4 Barrel man" :)

Nothing says "I don't know what I'm talking about,and I can't wait to lose",like the guy who brags that his car has a 4 bbl carb as if that single item

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Will make the car like some unstoppable freight train of Bad-Ass-edness,unbeatable by the likes of anything short of one of the Snake's fuellers:)

Scott

Ps: Bragging that it has a set of headers is on par with the 4bbl thing:)

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

I've read of guys cutting .100" off the deck of the heads,but more commonly .060"-.080" seems to be what guys are doing,then taking .010"-.020" off the deck of the block to get the pistons up outta the hole closer to a zero deck.
    If you're handy with a die grinder,and cheap like me,you can unlock a bunch of power from those heads for free if you take your time and use care.
    I'm pretty fired up about seeing your car out there;I'm pretty much a Ford guy,but the first fast car I ever drove was a buddy's Hemi/4-spd Mopar in the late eighties,and I've been hooked on big cams and short gears ever since:)

Scott

15. .040 is safe, and will leave sufficient cyl. head deck thickness to keep the head gasket sealed. An .040 cut would gain you a point of compression. For a quickie cam deal, call Chris Padgeat at Comp Cams and get one of their XE grinds, but please, please, please, save yourself some grief and pay the money to have the cam Nitrided. Cam cores, and lifters just aren't made out of the same good stuff these days, so you gotta go the extra mile to keep them from going flat. If a cam does go flat, all that cam/lifter material gets sprayed into the piston skirts, especially the ones nearest the dead lobe. The material embeds itself into the aluminum skirt (because its softer than the cyl. wall), then it tears the bore/hone a new ass, and the ring seal will always be crap, until you pull it apart for a bore, or hone, depending on the damage.

16. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Yeah, what Scott said! That's what our car is gonna have! A 4 bubble and some head pipes and lots of Bad-Ass-edness!

Thanks for the tip Scott! That should have 'em shakin' in their boots!

PS. BTW - you don't happen to have any of that stuff layin' around that you could spare do you??? Wait a minute...which team are you on again???

17. We're going for the Fuelie, Camel back, hump, elot heads (ya, I actually heard a a guy talking about his "Camelot" heads one time, F me!)780 Vacuum secondary, torker intake, Wix air cleaner, Mallory dual point, block hugger header tune up. All that fancy crap Saturday was to throw you off.., uh, ah crap, uh, I wasn't suppose to tell you that. Geeze sorry Marc!

18. novagirl

novagirl

What is the cut off year for the drags? I would like to run my Nova down the track if it's ready and It's not to new.

19. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Ah man!!! :mad:

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well I got all that shit bubble dump 4 brl , looong tube headwars and a full race cam.

21. What ever you do Marc, don't mention the 455 olds engine in the trunk w/the front drive tornado setup mounted out baaaaaaaaack, ah crap, is shouldna said that either

22. For the Meltdown Drags, cars must be 1966 and earlier and must meet the criteria.

23. Don't forge the KNN air filter element.... and chrome dipstick handle... Chrome makes it faster! :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don't forget the legendary "4 bolt mains"......most of the time they don't even know what that is when you hear some lougan bragging it up at a cruise night....

Owner of "the fastest car in town":
    "yeah....it's got a high lift cam and four bolt mains..."

Me: "Golly,that sure sounds fast....How high?And you should have looked for a five bolt main motor...they're stronger....you know,for racing!"

Him: " Ummm......it's a real radical cam....I don't know the exact details (cause he's never even had a valve cover off the thing,let alone seen the cam specs),and umm....I was looking at a five bolt block,but I'm saving that for when I ______________ " (insert ridiculous lie here).

Scott

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I went for the no bolt main they are extra lite and I am going to have to get me one of them chrome dip stick handles.

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Didn't the 383 Hemi come stock with the factory lightweight no-bolt main?
    That car would go for millions at Barrett-Jackson!:D

Scott

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Two engines!?!?!?
    PROTEST!!!!!!!!!

Lmao! :D

Scott

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No this one was installed buy them mopar guys you know gap and ruff.

29. On a different note, is there someone who could make the Melt Downs, but is short a few parts, and the cash to buy them. We as well as some of you have got stuff laying around that doesn't really owe us much if anything. Maybe a carb core, or a distributor, a set of wires, an old converter, or coil, shocks or slapped bars. We could donate or trade the parts to get em there. If you know someone or are that person, throw it out there and ask, you never know. Heck, a pair of stock rockers is better than none. Is this even kosher to suggest, or would the HAMB moderators prefer it somewhere else? What do ya think?

30. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think that's pretty damn generous.

I can't see anybody objecting to you guys helping a Brother out.Thats a really solid move Ric.

You're showing what you're truly made of,Man.:)

Scott