Register now to get rid of these ads!

The oddest car body, engine combination you've ever done,seen,been in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rixrex, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6narow

6narow

Sorry Leon, I guess I misread the response I was commenting on.
    I think the one that split behiind the front seat was from the first movie, too.
    I seem to remember that scene. Buddy Hackett was driving, right?
    I think our heroes were in a race in Mexico when that happened.

Elvis

2. You know that car has been upgraded, right?

Second Engine: Indy Aurora
    Class Record Speed:
    E/FALT: 235+ mph
    E/GALT: 226+ mph
    E/GC: 216+ mph

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rumor has it (in the article) the Next Engine to be installed: Buick Straight 8 :eek:

3. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

440 with 2X4's and 727 in an 80's Firebird... Even had the mopar scoop and caged... It was used solely for towing a boat... The 1/4 mile times were too slow so in went a Keith Black Hemi...

4. hotdamn

hotdamn

mackel (big O) has a 53 victoria with a 318 dodge motor that will run like a bat outa hell.

I found a late 50's willies wagon in a junk yard with a 303 olds motor, trans, and rear in it.

but the weirdest, some guy in down under had a 64 or 65 falcon, if I rmember correct it was blown too?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

this one has to beat all, even the hubcaps. [​IMG]

6. 6narow

6narow

HA!
    Looks like H-D's interpretation of the Jimmy Buffett song, "Cheeseburger in Paradise".
    =)

6narow

7. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

1955 chevy with a soviet motor . 2 gallon plastic jug under the hood used the "tanke de gasolina" .

8. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

A guy we cruised with 20+ years ago had a couple Datsun pickups.
    69 or 70 had a 4 cyl out of a turbo Tbird - truck was cool. He to put a tube through the oil pan sump to run the steering linkage through.

second was like a 77 kingcab chopped top with a 350 chevy...

9. 772_humphrey

772_humphrey

back in the sixties a guy showed up at the drag strip in erie, pa. with a caddy engine in a sedan, cant remember what it was. anyhow they wouldnt let him run it for safety reasons. he begged them to run it because he wanted to put another engine in it next week. well, they let him run it and when he came back next weekend he put another engine in it; this one was an olds in the trunk in addition to the caddy up front. they sent him home. true story.

10. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

I got a few for this thread.

Local guy does LT1 / LS swaps into ANYTHING. He's probably done close to 100 swaps in the last couple years, putting them in street rods, trucks, and the more unusual recipients like front motor Porsches, Toyota Supras, and RX7's. His boys keep the location of the shop on the low - low because he's been detailed out by crackheads multiple times. (Crackheads? In rural Alabama? Yup.) Never met the guy, but he's the one at all the southeast salvage auctions buying all the LS cars.

Friend of mine in ATL bought a swap kit to put a SBC in a Pontiac Fiero. The company also made, or at least marketed a BBC Fiero kit as well. Kit was featured in either HRM or Car Craft back in the 90's. My friend's swap never happened and he still has the kit. He's listed it on eBay several times with no takers. Probably because there aren't any Fieros left to swap.

How about the companies that made mid-mount V8 conversions for Corvairs? One was called Crown Mid-Engineering, I think, and maybe the other was Kelmark? The guys that later made janky fiberglass kit cars?

Rod Simpson Hybrids. Read about this dude in an old issue of HRM. BBC / SBC into the back seat of 911's. What the fuck, over.

Martin Schnieder / MSDS Inc. Still in business far as I know. Early and late 911 motors into VW busses and transporters. Caught a ride in one at a bug show in TN, they haul ass pretty scarily.

The Deucari - Ferrari V12 of unknown model in a Brizio-built (?) Deuce. Guy I know claims to have owned the car at one point but I call BS on that. Last I heard it still belonged to Brian Burnett, former owner of Los Gatos Ferrari.

The guy with the aluminum Buick V8 in a Vega. Said the SBC was too heavy for the Vega unibody and would tear it apart. Funny, never had that problem with my SBC / 4-speed Vega.

Back when I was in high school, an Atlanta Dragway local had a tube-frame VW bug with a rear-mounted Toranado engine / trans. Never saw it run, never even saw it come off the trailer. Later years the same guy had a VW Rabbit pickup with a BBC / TH425 mounted in the bed. Same story, saw it on display at a couple southeast VW shows then it disappeared. Not sure if these things were attempts at serious competition cars, wheelstanders, garage art, or what.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  11. I have no words for this,but it is the oddest I have ever seen.

Attached Files:

12. hamllik666

hamllik666

A buddy of mine had a 280z with a 396 big block chev and a 5 speed trans. That car was insane to ride in and to drive.

13. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I've seen a '66 Plymouth Fury III (not a sport model) with the 383 Commando motor and a 4-speed. I've never seen another regular Fury III with those options. The car's first owner was a drag racer from Florida.

14. N.O.M.A.D.

N.O.M.A.D.

Seen a VIPER Motor in a 55 Chevy Nomad ???

15. N.O.M.A.D.

N.O.M.A.D.

A freind of mine put a Harley motor in his Bobcat .

16. coupemerc

coupemerc

A 468 CI rat motor in an MGB.

17. '57 Ranchero

'57 Ranchero
    from Texas

A buddy and I put a 327 Vette engine into a Corvair Monza many moons ago. We cut out the back seat area, turned the transaxle around and created a mid engine car that ran and handled like a bat out of hell. Seems like we got the plans out of an old Car&Driver magazine...

18. Cadiac

Cadiac

saw a morris minor with 500 caddy -2 amc pacers on internet with 500 caddys -60 rambler american that belongs to a friend with 455 olds all steel 32 ford coupe with 57 392 hemi and auto, for awhile I had a 56 chev panel truck on a 65 chrysler chassis with 57 392 hemi and auto. A friend said once he went to an all Ford show and saw a 70 something vette with a 460 ford in it.

19. Cadiac

Cadiac

I read where a guy saw in Havana Cuba a 58 Olds with a russian diesel in it. ICK!

20. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

i put a 41 international 1 or 1 and half ton cab on an 83 or 84 s10 frame with a 350 350 combo, a 46 chevy bed, a 36 plymouth grill and studabaker bumpers, the only thing it needed was a radiator, but then i had to dismantle it

21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've got a few that are pure fantasy. They don't exist, as far as I know, it's just stuff I dreamed up over the years because I thought it might be cool:

440 into Fiat 124. Why, because lots of things were actually Fiat 124s, including Lada. And the V8 in a Zil limo is strangely similar to a 440. Hence the swop: but it should have "ЗИЛ" painted on the valve covers ...

426 Hemi into Daimler 250, the one that is basically a Jag MkII, because it had the little 2½-litre hemi stock. I'd start with an S-type, though.

Mazda rotary into Citroën GS. Citroën actually built a few pretty two-door GSes with a somewhat smaller Comotor rotary. With the Mazda it'd make a sort of off-the-wall hot hatch that never was.

Rolls-Royce/Allison 250C-420 turbine into Rover P4, with reference to the experimental turbine-powered Rovers. It'd be like a four-door JET1: I'd call it Auntithesis.

Magirus-Deutz air-cooled diesel V8 into Austin FX4 taxi. It'll either just fit or just not fit. I thought of this in response to what I'd do if I ever needed a minivan. But after reading this post I think a Detroit 3-71 or such might be more practical. I read an article about a vintage-style special a guy built in England, with a Commer TS-3 in an early truck chassis; I really liked the look of it.

Nissan V6 4X4 pick-up truck complete drive train into Renault 9, backwards, with flipped diffs and all-round independent suspension to produce a phantom '80s Group B homologation special. I'd use a Renault 11 shell and hang a 'glass 9 tail off the hatchback, so the entire rear opens up.

Subaru EJ25 into Morris Minor: the only one that has any bearing on reality. The Minor is sitting in my garage, the measurements have been taken, and the design is under way: complex as the suspension mods are going to be quite radical. I'm just about ready to start looking for parts (does anyone have a pair of Mercedes "Ponton" front hubs?).

22. Jax2A

Jax2A

C-cab delivery truck with a flathead Lincoln V-12.

23. Some odd ones I've seen -

Wrecked Henry J in the junkyard with Ford flathead V8 in it -

'37 Chevy coupe body on Stude Lark frame with Stude V8 power

The other day at a car show, a Crosley 2dr with the wheels outside the body and while the hood was closed it had a Cadillac badge stuck on it. Old local race car judging by the plaques and things on it.

And an old feature car in one of the rod mags in the 70s or 80s was a '55 Chevy with a 440 Chrysler motor in it. For that matter I remember a flip-nose 67 Corvette with a Ford 429, too.

24. SBC in a bug eyed Sprite... Broke every rear end at every wreckin yard in the county. Would light the tires at 55 on the freeway and if you wern't careful you'd be lookin the other way. Still remember the look on the other drivers faces when we were staring at them pointing the wrong way on Hwy 3.

25. burbanite

burbanite

26. 33 5 window coupe

33 5 window coupe

when i was a 15 year old kid with no money,i put a merc 312 and trans in a 55 chevy.my dad helped me with fab of motor mount and drive shaft welding.even though i'm in my fifty's now i still remeber my fisrt car and making it run like it was yeasterday

27. BJR

BJR

1950 Ford tow truck with a Rambler V8 and a push button automatic in it.

28. Cadiac

Cadiac

Saw on internet, Porsche Carrera with 70 Eldorado 500-front drive- drive train in back -looked stock. Has fake luggage stack over everything behind seats.

29. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Stock looking 64 Nova with a Buick 430. That car ran hard and fooled a lot of people..

30. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Had a friend with a 69 datsun p/u that put an 80's tbird turbo 4 banger in it. It was quick truck...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.