Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The most unbelievable serendipitous junkyard find ever

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

OK, this it a little OT, but I am so astonished and amazed, that I have to share the story. I've had more than my share of luck, and some crazy unlikely occurrences of serendipity, but this one takes the cake.
    Last Thursday, I made a deal to buy a rust free 68 Dodge crew cab project truck from a guy out in northwestern Montana. Not wanting to lose out on it, I hooked up my trailer right after work and hit the road. I got there Saturday morning, and he met me at a cafe in town for breakfast before he led me out to his very remote boneyard. While we were eating, he asked "what's the oldest car you have?" I told him about my 1910 Maytag, kind of expecting him to have never heard of it like most folks.

He says he thinks he has some 1910 Maytag parts in the yard. What??!!! Who has 1910 Maytag parts, they don't exist anymore, there's only about 10 Maytags left on the planet! So now, I'm way more exited about what he might have for the Maytag than the old Dodge. When we get out to his spread, it looks like he has about 10 acres of cars, trucks and parts. I checked out the Dodge and agreed that it was as advertised. Then we walked out into the yard and walked right to the front half of a Maytag frame, with the headlight brackets and some other little castings and brackets still on it! He said he had the axles too, and we wandered around for about 45 minutes looking for the stuff, but he couldn't find them. I didn't want to give up but we headed back towards his building and viola, there they were, laying in the weeds, complete front and rear axle assemblies!

I ended up giving him his asking price for everything after a half-hearted and fruitless attempt at negotiating.
    Here's the crazy thing about this: I was fortunate enuff to have acquired this car several years ago from a gentleman who purchased it from the Harrah collection. It was professionally restored, but was missing one part: The fill plug in the differential, a unique part. It is a very flat plug with an oddball thread.

I was thinking I would have to disassemble the rear end to reverse engineer and make a new plug. Now I don't have to. Now I'm back home, but I'm still marveling at this coincidence. I may be one of only a couple people on earth who would have a need for 1910 maytag parts. He may be the only person on earth who had any. And somehow we came together because of an old Dodge truck. Truth is stranger than fiction!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  2. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Nice story, thanks for posting. Congratulations on being blown away, I've never heard of a Maytag,

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  3. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Great story and it proves how a clear mental image of what you want or need seems to magically fall into place and materialize. The mind is a powerful thing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cptmoney, chevy54man, rod1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Great story with a happy ending for all!

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Everything happens for a reason....happy those rare parts are in the right hands.....besides....anyone that uses serendipitous correctly is ok in my book..

Stogy, Kan Kustom, ravedodger and 9 others like this.
  6. williebill

williebill

Wow, great story. 10 acres? Any more pics?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I don't have a Maytag, but I do have a 1905 Buick.
    My dad bought this car in 1946 !

05 Buick.jpg

8. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

NO$#!T

9. I used to wash my clothes in a Maytag.:D...................Seriously, what an incredible story! That's like a once in a lifetime thing, heck that's like a once in a million years thing. Great read.

10. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kismet, congratulations on the rare find, it was meant to be, que sera. Do you have a straw boater and garters to go along with your horseless carriage?

Stogy likes this.
  11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Stogy likes this.
  12. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats

Stogy likes this.
  13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Good karma for you! Great story.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

No pictures of the truck?

Stogy likes this.
  15. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Or your Maytag?

16. WOW Great story.Bruce.

Stogy likes this.
  17. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I have the same problem seeing pictures on the HAMB, I assume it is because these pictures are hosted somewhere else and won't make it past my firewall.

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

KOOL Deal ! Congrats ! NOW go buy some lottery tickets, you are on a roll !

19. I enjoyed your story thank you for sharing. Where in NW Montana?

Stogy and C. John Stutzer like this.
  20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No pics of the rest of the yard??

Stogy and modeleh like this.
  21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dang. Talk about luck!

Stogy likes this.
  22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Unreal -- good for you and what a great story!

23. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A month ago I was searching for pallet racking and answered a Craigslist ad for pallet racking in nearby Omaha. I made arrangements to purchase what I needed and in the course of the conversation the "older guy", note, I am 72 and he was older than me:) He mentioned something about old cars, he ended up taking me into a very large basement of the building he had built many years before. He had several Lamberts (I think they stopped building them in 1917) as well as some other brass era cars. You just never know what you will run into when you leave home!

24. heheheheheh

Stogy likes this.
  25. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Did the seller happen to say how he came upon the Maytag parts?

Stogy and Hudson31 like this.
  26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

image.jpg

It is remarkable.

Duellym, HunterYJ, 56shoebox and 2 others like this.
  27. I sure enjoyed this thread!

28. This story gives me goosebumps!

......or maybe it's the ice cubes that fell out of my glass of rye whisky and landed in my lap. o_O
    But all seriousness aside, it's a super score. It's nice to be reminded of the breadth and depth of our "hobby".

So when are you going to drop and channel that Maytag, and put a Chebby V8 in it?