Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Mexicali Merc, another 40 Custom in the works

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sledge, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Rikster

Rikster

Looks really fantastic Kevan. The way you chopped the rear window to get in proportion with the windshield and side windows. And how you reshaped the C-Pillars.... really great to see up close how its all done.
    Have fun!

2. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

3. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

I wish I had your talent!

4. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Amazing work, Kev!!!!

Not so many do that rear window chop, but I think it looks very nice. It also makes it easier to shape the metal around this area, since you have more of it instead of the flat glass pieces.

I do NOT want to hi-jack anything. Just show a very short bit how me and Wolf did the rear chop in a "slanted" way (don't really know what you say in english) and make it less square. We took 2" on the sides and 1½" in the middle. The middle part is very special too and have a rounded back shape even if the glass is flat. Can you explain this better, Kevan? :D

I will cut up my C-pillar to straighten it out a bit, as well. No time for it on the first round. Not as much as Kev, but a little. Looks very much nicer.

Anyway, here is what we were looking for.

Matranga Merc
    [​IMG]

Chopped
    [​IMG]

Tacked
    [​IMG]

Done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back to business! Thanks for your time. :)
    And Sled! You picked the PERFECT man for this job!

5. Both cars are works of art; absolutely gorgeous......

6. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Threads like this will keep me coming back time and time again.
    True artistry and talent, outstanding work Kev, a joy to watch.

Custom '40 Merc, what more could anyone wish for?

7. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks for posting pics JB! With regards to these 39-40 mercs, I've always said "there's more than one way to skin a cat"! I like the back window on your merc and it's cool to see some in progress pics! 2 inches is a lot but it works great for your car. So it looks like you guys did sort of an "A" shape tapered cut to keep it from getting to square after the heavy chop. very cool!

So you are going to reshape your C-Pillars? I dont know man, I really like your car just the way it is. probably the closest car to the Matranga thats ever been done. But you know, sometimes Im looking at pictures of Matranga's car and it almost looks as if Sam did some slight modification to the C-pillar area. Have you noticed this?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  8. billys54

billys54

9. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

OH Hell yes!................lovin it....them.....whatever. It's all good.

10. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

nice work! Good on ya... :)

11. Very nice panel work.
    Hey Sled, are you excited ...

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

very sleeek. great work. those panels always suck to fab. Kevan, i ended up fabbing those stainless seal pieces from scratch, what a P.I.T>> ASSS!! i need to stick to post cars!! thanks again!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  13. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Lookin good Matt!

14. chrisman

chrisman

This is my favorite thread right now. Thanks for showing us, Kevan!

15. 53chevy

53chevy

Yes, Hey Kevan you are Kickin' and Firen'!!!!That roof profile is nice. I finally scored those pieces that are below the drip rips and between the C pillar, but the ones I have are steel, not SS, maybe from the '39 Mercury coupe?

Kenny

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  16. 53chevy

53chevy

also, curious, what are the tail light treaments for this Custom? I'm going with the motorcycle style tail lights like Andril/Zaro/Barris Mercury Custom or 37 Oldsmobile, I have a set. becuase I'm using '37 Desoto bumpers.

Kenny

17. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

HOLY CRAP thats like BUTTA!!! (in my best Mike Meyers SNL voice)

18. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Hey Kenny, thats great you got those roof pieces. Im not sure if they were steel in 39 or not? you can always chrome them. I need a set for Reno's car too! We haven't made a decision about bumpers or taillights yet but I think Reno wants them to be in the bumper guards. I really like the motorcycle/bullet taillights. They give the car a nice early look. You cant go wrong with Desoto bumpers as long as they are original. those repops just dont look right!

19. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Hi kevan
    Try a magnet on a 39 Coupe's roof pieces ..... to see if there is any Magnetism

I know you can....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  20. sled

sled

J.B....forget hijacking or such...you're the MOST welcomed to post in here anytime and you know we are not many worldwide involved with such Mercs...so,welcome anytime and actually i was wondering since many years about your rear window.. no doubt its very interesting to see how you and Wolf got it done...Wolf is a great talent ,i know him personally since years and i wish i could speak with him more often custom stuff...;)

Sure that rear window works great on your car,with that type of chop...lot of thinking and research into it,and great to see them finally...please,feel free to share as much infos and pics as you wish anytime...
    Your pics are deceiving thou,cause in the last 3/4 backwiew the rear window does NOT look to be chopped 2",not at all...compared to the straight rearwiew wich seems chopped even more..of course different angles

And yes,after 6 years waiting i feel more than happy to have our pal Kevan doing the job...its matter of trustness,skills and somebody that lives this lifestyle...not only a X shop doing the job,i would neven go that way...not even if i would have way more money available..

PS.i can see Per Webb on the last pic..and is that Fedde from Hedemora the guy with the blue shirt on the left??

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  21. sled

sled

Hey mate..yeah,very happy for sure ..Kev is doing an impressive job and how many times in life a person can have such car built??Its a very special moment for sure...such dreams take long time to be fullfilled...im pushin on my end to get it done the right way

22. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Well ya missed the best one, but ya got alot done, hurry up and finsh so we can go party!

23. sled

sled

Hey Miguel,dont distract Kev man, he's quite inspired ,ah,ah,ah

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  24. jfrolka

jfrolka

Damn your a powerhouse!!!! Are you also handling the drivetrain and paint work?

25. big creep

big creep

wow this is going to be beautiful!!!

26. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

yeah sorry I missed it Miguel. I guess the guys had a blast! I'll be ready for a party once this car is done!

Thanks! It has a good Flatty so Im just going to get it running and driving. The paint will be done by someone else.

27. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

He has modified it a bit. I will straighten it out about halfway of how it is now and the way you have it done. I think it will be perfect for my car. :)

Thanks! And you are 100% right on both guys. Sharp eye, man! :D

28. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Now shave my legs and call me Grandma! - That is one sweet build! Awesome proportions!

Me likey! :D

29. ausbuick

ausbuick

30. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Great car, top notch work. Love the look.