Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The long process of finding a project car and adventures of the new guy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ^That's how it starts. In another 20 years you'll have a huge hoard of parts like many of us here.

RaginPin3Appl3 and Chrisbcritter like this.
  2. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

kind of a tech question here. so, the old generators that have the sort of tank on the back side with a filler coming out, are those power steering?

3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

alright, i was pretty sure thanks!

5. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

They also used the generator to drive the tachometer on Corvettes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

interesting. cool

7. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Anyone close to greene IA that could check out a car for me?

What'cha got in there, kid?

8. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I'm really torn on what to do. I'm off school for a month now, and while i can't find any 58 chevs around here, theres someone who has a 56 belair 6 cyl/3 speed for $3500 which doesn't seem like a bad price to me, but it's also not what i'm looking for. its a decently solid car, has just small holes in the floors/quarters/rockers and has a nice trunk. missing side trim but i'm wondering if it's worth buying it just to i finally have something to work on. I would probably make the body driver quality, drop in a 265 or 283, fix the brakes and slap some paint on it but my concerns are that if i buy a car that i don't really want I'm not going to be able to get rid of it when a 58 does come up for sale.

Here's the car. Not a bad start, but it is a 56 instead of a 55 or 57 so resale will suffer
    00j0j_cNQ9hHvY6oV_1200x900.jpg 00S0S_245Hf7n9zem_1200x900.jpg 00T0T_kDgVWvTa8dP_1200x900.jpg

9. Dude, this one is in Milwaukee, not too far, been up for sale a long time. Borrow $2k from your granny, make him an offer and get a project you actually want. At least there's no green mold growing on this one

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/5886972079.html

IMG_1482146506.063807.jpg

I do love your car hunts though, you're nucking futs.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I'm with clunker. Stay away from that 56. Get something you like. Hell I may go look at that 58...

11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Any experience with coyote classics in Greene IA?

12. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Or how about country classics in remsen, IA

13. flatford39

flatford39

Run Forrest Run as they say. That is way overpriced.

14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    $3950
    http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5927087578.html
    1958 CHEVY DELREY 4 DOOR SEDAN
    REBUILT 283 (less than 100 miles)
    REBUILT POWER GLIDE TRANSMISSION (less then 100 miles)
    NEW TIRES (less than 100 miles)
    NEW BRAKES
    COMPLETE DASH AND INSTRUMENTS INCLUDING RADIO
    RUNS AND DRIVES GREAT
    NEEDS COMPLETE INTERIOR
    SMALL RUST LEFT REAR FENDER, ABOVE HEADLIGHTS AND REAR FLOORS
    CLEAR NM TITLE
    I know the seller, Dave, and it will be what he says it is.
    I know it is a more door. I'd talk him into throwing in some Mexican blankets for seat covers

15. alchemy

alchemy

I know that as soon as you spend the money on something not quite right, the perfect candidate will show up in the classifieds. Save the money til you find the right car.

clunker and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Sorry but no 4 doors. It just doesnt work for me.

Also, 3500 for a tri 5 chevy is expensive? Seems extremely cheap to me but i decided to just pass on it

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yes, if it is like that '56 you posted a pic of -

18. Hang in and keep saving money. The right car will come along and you'll need $$ to have it shipped if you find one far away. The nicer rust-free cars are mainly on the west coast. My Ford was from Denver and I had it shipped to NY. It was a California car.

19. I see him on Hemmings and he has a lot of cars that look pretty good. If you want a car that is all there and complete, that is a good place to look.

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think about this every time I come across this thread so Im gonna ask.
    Whats the deal with the 57 ford in your avatar if you are so determined to get a 58 chevy?

21. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

It was a picture i took and so rather than steal a pic off the internet i just used that one

22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ok, Just thought there might be some significance on why you chose that car, I personally dont see any harm in borrowing a pic off the net for something like that or to share as long as one isnt using it to make prints to sell or to portray it as there own possession or works but thats just my .02, carry on...:)

23. The good, bad and the ugly. That 56 is rough,{ the good}. Parts are available,{ the bad} they are very expensive, and it needs everything. The tri fives are easier to resell. If you want a 58 I would wait. Buy a good and complete car. Parts are harder to find for it. Most people get more money in their car then they can get back. So your best deal, will be an almost finished project. That's the {ugly} but true. Its better to miss buying the right car, then it is to buy the wrong one. My 2 cents. I own a 56 and have owned 58s. Ron...

slowmotion and bobss396 like this.
  24. Like Ron says above, the '58 Chevy is an odd duck compared to a '55 to '57 so be aware. Buy the best car you can. I have a '59 Ford (another odd duck of a car...) that was missing a lot of interior and exterior trim parts, I was able to track them all down at a cost of around $2000.

Ron Funkhouser and slowmotion like this.
  25. You don't need anyone's "permission", kid.
    If you think you have the skills and resources to buy this IMG_1482605413.774361.jpg moss covered gem for $3500, then "drop in a 265 or 283, fix the brakes and slap some paint on it", then find a buyer to give you enough $ to make a profit so you can buy a '58 Chevy, then get to it, man.

You are at least going to spend a few thousand to get the project started, why not add that to the $3500 you have and get a '58 like you want?

26. There's a '59 Ford in the Hamb classifieds for sale. Six grand and solid as a rock. If it was a Chevy the price would be double that. Take a look and think about the rust repair you wouldn't have to do. Just sayin'.

27. The green one? Now the $$$ is down to $5k and looks complete, the sister car to mine.

28. Pineapple wants a 2 door '58 Chevy, very specific. The other cars he considers are basically to flip and make some $ towards his '58.

Throughout the thread, he finds pretty cool cars he wants to buy, goes to look and starts the process, then comes so close to buying the car, and JUST as he's about to do it something just isn't right. Being a car-guy hoarder, I just can't take the tension.

I really dig this thread. He's got a lot more patience than I did when I was 18...

Attached Files:

29. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

To be honest, a lot of the times when i dont buy a car, its because as an 18 yr old who never really had anything nice, sometimes its hard for to justify big purchases lol even if i can easily afford them :p

clunker and chevy57dude like this.
  30. Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    chevy57dude likes this.