Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Late in the afternoon Peter came by for a visit. He was in his phaeton, which he had now fitted his Halibrands to. So Tony and I went out for a look see. We all agreed it looks real good. I think Peter is going to try the wheels that were on the phaeton ( steelies, with whitewalls ), on his '40 coupe. Tony and I reckon the '40 will look great with them!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

As Peter was leaving Rita came out to say dinner was ready. So we went inside to eat. As it was now early evening we decided we would go and visit with Carol and Frank tomorrow afternoon. So Tony rang Frank to let him know.
    After dinner Tony and I went back out into the garage. Tony got out a couple of photo-albums. Browsing through them, I asked Tony if I could borrow some of the shots to bring home with me to scan to present here.
    Here are the first couple, the others I will show after I have done this series of posts on last weekend.
    The first shot is I think in Peter's garage not long after he bought the 3W.

[​IMG]

This next one is a shot taken of my coupe at John's Rod and Custom Picnic one year.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

3. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Monday morning we had just got out into the garage, when Renee', Spencer T, Jude and Mabel Rose arrived. Renee' had to take Mabel Rose to the doctor's and Rita was going with them. So the boys would be staying with Tony and I ( what a team ). Sitting inside at the kitchen table, Spencer T spotted a diecast 1/18 '32 in the corner. We got it out for him. Somehow we all decided it needed different wheels. A while ago I had bought down some model wheels and tyres for Tony. I asked if he could get them. Spencer T and I then went out into the garage. Whilst I was messing around with the rear wheels on the model. Spencer T was asking questions and messing with some 1/25th plastic model parts that Tony has in his trophy room ( which is attached to his garage ). When Spencer T tired of playing with the plastic model parts, I asked him if he would like to see the new steering wheel that was now on my 3w ( all the while I was working on the new wheels for the back of the diecast model ). He wanted to see the new steering wheel, so we went over to the 3W and Spencer T climbed in behind the wheel. I sat beside him in the passenger seat whilst he was 'driving'. He's a careful driver so I was able to continue working on the model whilst we roared around in the coupe.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I think there is some sought of irony in the whole situation of the adult working on a diecast model of a '32 3w in a real '32 3W window whilst the child pretends to drive the hot rod. Such a simple but neat thing.
    After our drive the new rear wheels were now on the model. Of course Spencer T was as happy as Larry. When I am next in Port Fairy we will do the front wheels. I spent a little while on some the other day, that I will take with me the next time!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

When the girls arrived back from the doctor's, it was time for lunch. Sam dropped in briefly around this time. Sam asked what we had got done on our 3W, so all the boys went out into the garage to check on our progress.
    Whilst out there I wanted to get some shots of Jude in my 3W. I had been looking recently at shots I have taken and I always seem to get shots of Spencer T, but not Jude. So the boys jumped in the 3W and I got some neat 'driving' shots. They both had a go behind the new Bell wheel. I think not only is that lil Bell wheel more user friendly for me, but it is easy for the little guys to handle.
    I think Jude is a natural the way he is hanging onto that shifter. Now we just have to work on getting those feet to reach the pedals!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  6. JAWS

JAWS

Geoff, did I see correctly your coupe sans fenders and cheater slicks? Awesome!

7. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

ah ha Brant. That must have been back in my rebel without a cause days.
    It does look good without fenders.
    Geoff aka whodaky

8. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

A while later Renee', Sam, SpencerT, Jude and Mabel Rose left. So Tony and I began working on our 3W again. Tony continued hammering and grinding on the grille shell.
    I would get the filler piecs done that were required to fill sections on the 'A' pillar on the left side of the body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course Lucy was always at hand to keep an eye on things!
    Later in the afternoon, Rita, Tony and myself went out to visit with Carol, Frank and Rachael.
    Us guys went out into the garage to check out Frank's coupe.
    Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Tuesday morning I got up before everyone else as usual. I went for my walk along the beach. This morning I did some really big 'whodakys' in the sand.
    When I got back to the house we all had breakfast.
    When Tony and I went out into the garage I finished off making the filler pieces for the 'A' pillar on the right side of the body and Tony got more done on the grille shell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On my next visit, we will start welding up the roof.

Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  10. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

After lunch Tony and I sanded some more of the striping and signwriting off my 3W. With this done I grabbed the camera and just started snapping images

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Tony is lucky enough to have some striping done by, Simon Watts on the door of his garage.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

More random images from that weekend.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

And just to round off the picture taking, a whole bunch more random shots.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  14. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

My plan was to head for home around 3.30 p.m.
    I was going to drop Frank's gas bottle at his place. So I loaded it into the back of the pickup and then got my stuff together and put it into the cab.
    At around 3 p.m. we had a coffee, after which I said my good byes to Rita and Tony and I headed for home.
    Once again it had been a great time in Port Fairy and as usual I thank Rita and Tony.

Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  15. kool 52

kool 52

Such a great thread!thanks for your time to post the pics and continual stories.Cheers Mark

16. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Found this ad in ASR #98 Sept/Oct '94
    [​IMG]

sorry about the cheap scanner

17. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Nice find Yblock. I tried to scan that image, but it came out the same as yours. I will photograph it after work tomorrow in the day light.
    I think that is when Peter Green had the coupe. What makes me think this, is on the same page is an ad for a silver '57 Chev sedan delivery that Peter Green also had at about the same time he had the 3W.
    I must admit I had never remembered that ad. Your have a good memory.
    I have to say that I paid a lot more than what was being asked at the time of that ad in 1994.
    I believe Robert Mummery ended up with the 3W, in a deal done with Peter Green. Then Peter Winnen bought the 3W window off Robert Mummery and owned it up until I bought it from Peter Winnen

Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  18. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

I remember seeing it for sale at the "Fridge" ( must've been '94) and figured that there was probably coverage of the swap meet .I had a quick look through a few mags .No coverage but found the ad.

19. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

One thing i have noticed about old Fords is none of them have gone down in value since 1994,,,

20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Didn't Nashie chop the 3 window and bring it into the country in the first instance?

21. 63Compact

63Compact

This post keeps getting better keep it up guys.

22. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

Everybody that saw that coupe at the fridge swap meeting that cold morning really wanted to own it, that is if you are into traditional hot rods. I would have never thought that years later it would be sitting in my shed, man do dreams come true or what . Also my mate owns it now and we both cant wait to bring it back to life one day soon ...........Tony.

23. Kialla Kid

Kialla Kid
    from Kialla

Hey Tony
    Way similar story with a blue coupe hey!! It took quite a while after a cold morning at the fridge swap meet to have it sitting in my shed but it did happen. Twenty years have gone by since that cold Ballarat morning.

24. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Yblock, your a sleuth. And I mean that in the nicest possible hot rod way!!!
    No Mark. As you see it in the ad that yblock showed, is how it came into Australia.
    Peter Nash was way into the build as you see it, in his shop in Bakersfield. He was also given a lot help and motivation by Squeak Bell. I am sure a few others helped along the way also. It's a great hot rod, with I am sure a great story. I need to follow up and get the whole story I guess.
    Peter Green, bought it from Peter Nash and bought it into Australia.
    Here's the same shot photographed, it's not that much better than the scan.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  25. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here's some shots, I think at Nashy's or Squeak Bell's shop in Bakersfield

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  26. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

Hi Geoff,

Here's one of the 32 5 Window in Bright in the mid 90's with young Ben next to the coupe - before the guitar was even a consideration.

Jeff

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  27. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hi Jeff. What a great shot. Definitely brought a smile to my face.
    I love seeing images of the coupe taken by other people. I get to see it from a totally different perspective. The fact that Ben was posing with the coupe, really adds a lot of character to the shot.
    That was probably around 16 years ago. Because that was the weekend of my 40th birthday.
    I will look for some shots of that weekend when I get a chance.

28. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

How time flies when your having fun.........

29. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

.. another of Garry's pics of "Jake"
    [​IMG]