Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Last Daily Driver Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. dmikulec

dmikulec

I work 100 miles from home, the DD has to be newer - just no choice in the matter. That said, I settled on an '01 Monte Carlo SS. A really nice ride that still gets 30MPG, with the AC running.

2. I'm thinking something with AMG in the title.

I've been driving my 59 ElCamino for almost a week with a smile on my face the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

3. Since you own Dogfight as well your are expected to OWN something that is ON TOPIC there!:D

You got the New shop for www.garagejournal.com

The fun gear for www.gearjournal.com

Onlything missing is a vintage bike for Bonneville www.jockeyjournal.com;)

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

I made a similar decission about a year ago...

I needed a bigger truck to haul the car I hope to start racing with, I live farther from town than I used to ( my '60 has no door rubbers and the wind noice is deafening at highway speeds, I started wearing earplugs ), and my wife needed something that can deal with the flooded streets we have here during the monsoon.

So now I'm driving a completely anonymous white '03 truck.

Prior to this one I've never owned anything newer than a '78.

Its only my 3rd car ever I could just get in and drive away, without major work to get it running.

Its my first car ever with A/C.

Its been 20 years since I had a car with a working radio and heater.

I enjoy it, but while making up my mind I lost sleep over it.
    It just seemed that wrong...

5. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Since my wife occassionally drives "my" car to haul the kids around, I have a new OT ride and my '40 is the "back up". I just can't see my wife driving a flatty-powered '40 sedan with our kids jumping around in the back seat. It makes me cringe to even think of it! NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

6. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

yeah, the a/c and four door. it ends there.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have driven the Plymouth every day for the last eighteen years until about Febuary... it's been tough to Not drive it, but it now needs EVERYTHING. I personally have never owned a late model car (the current '71 Maverick feels WAY to new), but could see the advantage of doing so. I do also have to admit I would never consider the Plymouth as traditional by H.A.M.B. standards, just rougher than Street rod standards.
    This is gonna allow you to use the '39 for those special days when you need something "extra"... Not just wear it out.

9. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Damn Ryan, some times you just have to do it. I drive my coupe to work alot. I often wish I could rely on a cool old car as a daily, but sometimes you just need the peace of mind. Sometimes you Have to be somewhere and on time.

10. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

yes, my hero.

11. mgbtc

mgbtc

Don't get me wrong, I love driving my old stuff. But one day on the way home, some punk ass kid in his moms Malibu took the front fender off my 40. Good thing I couldn't catch him, so now I generally drive late model cars that I really like but are throw aways. By the way, nice choice for the late model.

12. Paul Y

Paul Y

Just in the process of purchasing an 03 E55 AMG Estate, for driving to business meetings. Hell fire that thing is quick but the Petrol bill ensures the mileage will stay below 10K per annum!

Good choice Ryan, don't feel too guilty.

P.

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Makes sense to me--drive my old cars alot but have newer ones for long trips and for more people -wife has a 95 Imp SS she bought new(drove her 55 for 8 yrs prior as her daily in Bay area traffic)-and we have a 4 dr GMC pickup for going to the Sierras fishing, etc.
    Takes some of the worry away when driving in traffic with all the folks out there not paying attention--yesterday was driving the 40 woody and some nut case came around a corner in my lane--hit the binders and narrowly made it-he never even slowed down!!

As an interesting sidenote-wife wants to upgrade-gonna look at a CTSV black sedan this week--pricey but cool--will replace her SS car

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I hope it has heated seats. Nothing feels better while driving than heated seats when your back hurts. I even put them in the '50 Burb, and yes my '29 will have them as well.

Congrats on your Mercedes, see ya on DOGFIGHT!

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's why my wife has a Yukon instead of a '50s wagon. Peace of mind when it comes to hauling around with car seats filled with cargo more precious than all the '32 Fords in the world.

I'm betting the replacement was a Mercury Grand Marquis - maybe upgraded to Marauder spec?

-Dave

Edit: I see I was wrong about it being a Grand Marquis. Should have read further. German cars are about the best of what's around for new - I wish the influence at Chrysler would have resulted in a full RWD lineup. Maybe I should go check out this "dogfight"...

16. sololobo

sololobo

Austin has the best of a lot of things, including mind bending traffic jams. Drive the 39 on some country jaunts and enjoy it. Driving an older car every day is a challenge, even in traffic like in Omaha, which is not bad. Every old car I have driven to Austin the traffic challenged my car and I and had me on edge from the time I arrived till I left. Cool out in the alternative ride, and try not to have guilt feelings, good luck.One of the first things I notice is being invisible after everyone staring, honking, thumbs up etc. in the vintage car. Oh wait I don't have a newer ride to drive, but would if I could. ~sololobo~

17. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

I feel ya! My Crosley was my only car for two years, and while it usually ruled, it sometimes sucked. I compromised, and for the last ten years I've had various '60s mopars around for when I need to go somewhere with more than 26.5 horsepower. And, now that i'm married I can always rely on my wife's Toyota pickup.

You've got no reason to feel like a sellout- you've still got the Ford and now you can drive it whenever you want to, not just whenever you need to.

18. My "new" truck is now starting to get old enough it carries little to no value. I am still aiming at the Tudor to be my daily but, the Bonneville car is going to need a serious hauler. Instead of putting money into a bigger truck for a couple trips a year I think I will just rent something, let them worry about the salt rot!

And yes, Kevin wins :)

19. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

20. Does that Ford truck ^^^^^^^park itself???? Hee Hee!

21. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Well done. Both the daily-driver thing and your words about it.

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am sure it will also have quite the "cool factor"

23. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CTSV has more than 100 HP more than that.

24. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

I commute on I-35 through downtown Austin daily. NOT in my '49.

I understand.

25. alchemy

alchemy

Sounds just like mine, except for that last 419 hp part. I had once vowed I'd never own a fordor until I was "old". Now I'm old.

26. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I drove a CTS-V coupe this weekend. What a machine!
    Just wait until you have to repair that MB. Open your wallet and watch your kids' college savings go out the window!

27. rixrex

rixrex

So I'm still gonna see ya whizzin by on the country roads?..We passed each other the other day on 290 I believe, I was in my 48 Cadillac..I REALLY don't blame you, I drive truck on these roads professionally and I see one and sometimes four wrecks a day..I do daily drive the Cadillac or the Studebaker but its only an eight mile commute and I avoid downtown and IH35 like the plague..Those areas are only safe in the Mack..I have an 86 Chevy Pickup for car hauling and an 89 Honda Civic for Sally to gas sip around in, they both have AC.....

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I totally saw you the other day.

I drove the '39 today, so I'm not out of the race yet Kev!!!!

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I just cant see me buying a very late model daily driver,my 65 custom 500 more door with a manual trans is just too fun to drive then any newer car. Granted I am in Ohio and not Texas and I like the 65 not having a/c and can roll down all four windows and open the vents and I get plenty of air flowing to keep me somewhat cool,when finished my newest p/u will be a 66 F250 that I plan on driving anywhere but since I live in Ohio I drive a 80s vehicle for a winter beater to absorb all the salt that is put on the road that sits all summer.

30. I think it's cool when you guys drive your old cars to work. For me I would inevitably get door dings in my work parking lot so I can't allow that.