Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Jack Calori Photo Album

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

Damn Rik, that dry lake T you posted made my day. You mentioned seeing it somewhere, that was one of Strother MacMinn's photos from the early days. I seem to remember Pat Ganahl wishing for more pics and info, probably from a past issue of TRJ. Anyway, thanks for posting that and here it is dressed up.

Attached Files:

2. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

sorry the scan is bad,it was huge and I tried to reduce with this result...PC challenged old man.

3. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks... that sure is the car and that was the book I saw it.

4. Rikster

Rikster

I have shown this photo of Bob Gill's 1936 Ford Coupe before. But this time I have a better scan of the original photo from the Jack Calori Photo Album. It was not until after I got back home from the GNRS and I had studies this photo a bit better that I noticed the scoop underneath the bumper on Bob's Ford. I had never seen it before on the previous photo I had, which was kind of blurry and dark. But this new scan shows a similar - but less wide - scoop as Jack Calori used on his famous 1936 Ford. I know the smooth hood sides and the much smaller than original custom grille (Nash on Bob's Ford) must have caused some heating problems on the engine.
    So this was the way Bob and Jack fixed that problem. But could it have been an aftermarket part? Or is is something from another car they used for this? It does not really look home made to me. Anybody recognize the scoop below the grille/front bumper in this photo?

The rest of the photo is very nice as well and shows how a typical street custom looked back in the mid 1940's. I still wonder what happened to this one. Another great photo from the Jack Calori Photo album shared by Billy Crewl.

[​IMG]

This great photo of the Jack Calori 1936 Ford comes from his own personal album as well. As you can see on this one some nice silver photo corners have been used in this photo album. This great photo shows some negative frame on the right side of the photo making me wonder if the whole car might have been captured in the original negative. The negative might have been shifter during exposure. But I guess the original negatives are long gone... Still a realy great photo of Jack's 36 Ford.

This photo also shows the bottom edge of the scoop underneath the bumper. I showed a photo of Jack's good friend Bob Gill a few days ago and noticed it also had a scoop underneath the bumper. These were used to cool the engines better due to the much smaller grilles both cars used. This photo of Jacks car shows the scoop on his car is much wider than the one on Bob's 36 Ford. Thanks again to Billy Crewl for sharing this album.

[​IMG]

Another photo from the Jack Calori collection shows an unidentified 1941 Ford Convertible custom. This photo was taken when Jack was working on his 1941 Ford Pick Up in the 1950's. I guess the photo was taken in 1955 or close. And possibly the 1941 Ford belonged to a friend of Jack. The car looks to be an original 1940's custom with a Carson top (the Carson Tops were always a bit more square.) The car was now fitter with less wide white wall tires, and possibly it was raised more over how it originally had looked.
    The car has all the signs of an early custom. Mild chop, no frenched headlights, door handles still in place, etc.

I cropped the original photo to be able to show the 1941 Ford Convertible a bit better, but I have also included the full photo as an inset showing Jack working on the chassis for his 1941 Ford Pick Up. The photo was part of a proof sheet from a photo session on the very nicely detailed engine and chassis. Perhaps Billy Crewl can tell us a bit more about this 1941 Ford Custom convertible car.

[​IMG]

And here is a color photo showing the frame Jack was working on back then. This photo comes from the Junior Conway Collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigO and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

40 Chevy headlights...not 41

6. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

7. I believe the server that Rik uses (fotki) to host his pictures on is in the process of being moved from North America to Europe so they are not online at the moment hence the lack of pictures. I think once they get up and running again the pictures will return.

8. Aaarrgh! No see Rik..:(

The supporting shots are mindblowing, thank you cats.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  9. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Such an icon! One of the reasons I got my '36. I have owned the Hot Rod mag with Caloris coupe for years and I always go back to it and drool over it. I acquired some '41 hudson tail lights awhile back. I thought that I was about to sell them. This Thursday it caught fire in the garage. Luckily no paint damage or anything outside of needing a re-wire. So I guess now I have to bite the bullet and do the work I wasn't ready to do yet. I will not go as extensive as lasalle grille, different dash(yet...), but since I have them I guess I will use them now. I am in no financial position to do major body work and paint, so I will try my best to blend in body work and touch up paint until I can afford it. The only issue I have is where to relocate the gas filler. I do not want fumes in the cabin, and I don't want to put a door in the fender. Thought about making a flip down license plate, but not sold on that yet either. Any input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Envy you, @drag'N!
    My last '36 coupe was a 5 window, got it from Billy Mendoza in 1958. ($275.00!) It had a '42 Merc 59AB mill, '39 box, and juice brakes. 3-1/2" Mor-Drop axle, reversed '49 Merc wheels, and big-n-littles. (U.S. Royal 'smooth' Masters, with the recessed wide whitewalls...8.20 X 15 rear, 6.40 X 15 front. Nice rake, had it for 2 years. Blew up the 3rd flathead I had in it, sold it to a rod builder's younger bro.
    Car had the original radio, and it worked. All the original upholstery, great shape.
    If I had it now...it would get skirted, and drag the tail!
    My first '36 was a 3-window, got it from Billy Souza, $15.00 cash! 1955.
    Learned to oxy-acet weld on that car, chopped the top 5-1/4" (after mistakes starting at 4-1/2"!) I was 13. Learned a lot from that car, was nearly finished in '56, found a roadster. Sold the '36 for roadster $$.....
    Yours has a great stance, I'm doing a '47 Ford 4 dr. in this style, (solid no-rust original car was a gift from a lifelong pal, along with front & rear kits from Posies & Chassis Engineering!)
    My bud Tracy sold me a N.O.S. pair of 'box skirts', Foxcraft, great price.
    I might put my 455 Olds in it, (heavy car) or the low mileage 454 (well pump engine!) which was also a gift.
    Old guys get help from the young. Thank goodness.
    Like was said: "Look in the background of the race car pics...the 'mild customs' were the types that the guys drove every day!
    My '47 will be a 'loose copy' of a '48 Ford sedan that cruised the streets of Santa Clara (CA) where I grew up... A 2 year old car, it was molded (shaved) front & rear, dropped low in rear, skirts, shiny black, 'pencil tip' exhaust tips.
    I swore (at age 9!) I'd have a 'family car' like that when I 'grew up'. YIPPEE!

stillrunners and kidcampbell71 like this.