Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods THE INDUCTION THREAD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mad mikey, Dec 9, 2016.

1. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Maybe they're prewar Predator carbs.

mad mikey, Jet96 and enloe like this.
  2. This is not, nor never was a turbo. It's an aircraft centrifugal blower. It's the same type of blower Harry Miller used on his miller engines. It is correct that they do need to turn insane RPM's to build boost.
    [​IMG]

1947knuck, Jet96, 30dodgeboy and 3 others like this.
  3. Actually the Tank Corps had the predecessor to the predator carbs, in WWII. I don't have a pic of one on this computer sadly enough. Used to be you could find 'em cheap at a war surplus.

Dean tanks for the info. I was just making conjecture. I have a line on a big turbo that was a pre booster for an old diesel that I have s considered running and that is why I guessed that this was the same sort of setup. ;) I haven't nailed it down yet but I suppose that I should, just in case I want to boost something. ;)

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  4. WAY before pro-charger... centrifugal superchargers were proven in use... I have seen them used on WWII aircraft engines.

loudbang, mad mikey and Dean Lowe like this.
  5. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

6. I got your big turbo right here!!

[​IMG]

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Wow just Wow! Gary

loudbang likes this.
  8. They say that everything old is new again. ;)

If you are using a converted turbo it should take much grunt to spin it, I think that the new centrifugal blowers are gear driven. if you gear drive one and build your gears right you should be able to spin it about for free.

He I need that for my A. But I'll have to pull a trailer with it, I don't think my suspension will be up to the task. :D

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  9. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Thanks Jalopy Junkie for this... IMG_6491.jpg

1947knuck, Stebo27, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

IMG_6518.jpg Christmas Tree just posted this on his thread

11. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

One of the sweetest sounds ever.

A novi headed down the Indy front chute at full yodel was a sound that would bring a tear to your eye.

Glad I was able to experience it when I was a kid.

12. loudbang

loudbang

1947knuck, Stebo27, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

gr
    Graham cars used centrifugal blowers way before WW2 came to the US. McCulloch sold Centrifugal superchargers for flathead Fords before the war. I know Pratt & Whitney R2800 engines had them built into the engine as did the 3350. I never worked on the 2000 and smaller engines but i bet lots of them were blown.

14. loudbang

loudbang

2 and induction.jpg

4and induction.jpg

induction.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    1947knuck, Stebo27, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  15. OH YEA! The induction is a work of art, and the rest of the car is fantastic, to say the least.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Nice! I wonder how well it really runs. 8 twos on a blower has got to be a very challenging TUNE! b05d29fd672699427fe9cd122f00bda5.jpg

17. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Picture 004.jpg
    This was last summer with the 350 SBC which went tu. Unfortunately, the heads on the new 383 will not work with the old Offy intake as the intake ports are too small to match up with the new Performer RPM heads. Really sucks as I liked that 6 pack setup. Oh well, on to dual quads I guess.

1947knuck, Stebo27, saltflats and 2 others like this.
  18. Well I was doing a little tuning on the 950 blower carb today, with the idle air bleeds. It is interesting how she reacts to changes. I got the idle pretty good for a radical blown 406 SBC. used some gas making little changes to the Idle restriction jets and Idle air bleeds. Could not take her out, it is raining:(. All in all a good tuning day. and the police came by too. Seems some one near by got their panties bunched up over the noise after an hour or two. The zoomies are on her right now, yea they are loud. I am aloud to run her all I want, as long as it is not late at night, so.... The officer loved the car, and said CARRY ON! LOL!!!!:D:D:D

1947knuck, wraymen, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

20. Well ,today we got to take her out for some more testing. AFR # are good , goes slightly to 15,2-15,5 on a tip in of the throttle. As sone as you give her a little more , just a hair we are at 14s at cruise. At full pedal she is great, low 12s to 12.7. Throtle response is FRIGHTENING ! Next , we go o the track, and lay down some #s. I think I have got her dialed in for the most part. She goes a bit lean on a hair tip in of the throttle at cruise speed, however it is a bit challenging to cruise , idle at speed limit, give her alittle pedal and you are over the speed limit. LOL, My friend with me said on the second hit she was lifting the front wheels for 30 ft. he forgot to bring his camera :mad:. I could feel it and was trying to hold on and watch the readings at the same time. she is way stronger with the 950 DP, and a lot of tuning work, pluse 20 gal. of gas to do so :). A few pics of my monster. LOL.:D WIN_20170423_12_31_50_Pro.jpg WIN_20170423_12_33_10_Pro.jpg WIN_20170423_12_34_39_Pro.jpg

1947knuck, Stebo27, wraymen and 4 others like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Sounds like you are getting close to PERFECT. :)

1947knuck and mad mikey like this.
  22. Yea. I am happy with the tune so far. She is cold blooded, I have to play with the throttle for a minute or two untill she gets a little heat, then she idles on her own, but she has always been like that so no big deal.;):)

loudbang likes this.
  23. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

MM- that thing is freakin' cool!

24. Thanks Jet. She is my bad baby. LOL.

loudbang likes this.
  25. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

832fbf4cee35c963c4cb9f22b37519f3.jpg porknbeaner those are old floatless carburetors. They were an accessory carburetor for model Ts and i suppose other cars. Without a float you can run them any way you want.

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Mikey,
    What if you raised the float level just a tad. Would that fatten up the tip in?

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  27. Yea it might, its not bad at 15-15.2, it only stays there for a few seconds. It is mostly in the low 14s when trying so cruse at a steady state, which is a bit challenging LOL. She likes throttle, not speed limits.:eek:;)

loudbang likes this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like a power valve change or some more accelerator pump.

mad mikey likes this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Everything for your Ford 6

Take your pick supercharged, injected, or trips.

and induction and 6 cylinder and pipes.jpg