Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hot Rod With No Name

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Can't wait to see what happens with this one.

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Anytime you can lighten reciprocating weight.....thats a good thing.......most cars do not hook up due to suspension setups and other factors.....I think its always better to add weight somewhere else than on reciprocating parts......Some guys have all the power in the world...but if you cannot transfer it to the ground...it makes it worthless.......Mr. Haney, if I remember right your HotRod is a rescent build...you may need more tweeking.....The dragStrip is the best place to try everything...hope you run it at Thompson this year......Littleman....Kevin and the guys have some mad skills...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First off... KICK ASS and build it the way I know you guys know!

I'm going to add something here directed at the negative comments that may be implying that HRCC doesn't know what they're doing... I've been to their shop, I've met these people and I have to tell you that they do some seriously bitchin' work!! They do things their way and they do them the right. They have the skills and the know-how to build some completely insane cars. There are cars on their shop floor you wouldn't BELIEVE!

Build on! Leave another mark! Can't wait to see!

Guess I'm going to have to get some pictures up from my visit, huh?

4. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

i usually don't chime in on things like this but not only is this shop a bunch a friends but i have a HUGE amount of respect for the quality that comes out of their doors. let me first say i have a hard-on for deuce grills, so kill me BUT let the man do his thing. Let him take the huge slice out of the roof, section the grill and get a little over all progress with the front suspension done then start voicing your opinions. similar designs have WON "eyes on design" along with several other awards. there have been several times i have been like, "oh that looks like garbage" in someones mockup and it came out to be my favorate aspect in the final build AFTER it was modified to fit its purpose. you know what i did, i kept my mouth shut because guess what, i don't know it all and i am continuously learning. I have to say from the front of this thing, the grill is almost dead on with the curviture of the cowl. what i dumb idea, to use the lower back curve of the grill for the axle, spring, and perch........sense the sarcasm? I say do you thing Kevin and if it doesn't work in the end you'll know but it is way too early to know. like it was said before, HRCC is always on their a game.

5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I think you should restore it. That way, everyone will know if you followed the directions correctly.

Kevin, baby, I think you are the illegitimate love child of MacGyver and Buddha. You bring harmony to scrap. I feel ya. I think the Isley Brothers said it best...
    It's YOUR thing...OWWW...Do what you wanna do...I can't tell you...who to sock it to.

6. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Ok, good point, understood.

looking foreward to thomson this year ! last time i watched you run your truck it looked like nascar ! You were making so many runs back to back i was getting dizzy watching you circle ! Putting my car in Choppers this year, racing it at road devils meet, thomson, 42 as well. See you there I hope. Best Russ

7. The mock-up looks great, I like the different grille. All these guys telling you to stick with a Model A grille need to open their eyes and see how many Model A's have Duce shells & grilles. I like your thinking "out of the box". Here's my Model A with a 34 Ford grille, everybody that has seen it thinks it's great. I put it on here and got some of the same comments as your getting. Keep posting updates.

Attached Files:

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's hilarious Scoob! :D :D McGuyver and Budha. You're killing me! :D

Should I post the concept rendering?

The aforementioned BSB (Back Seat Betty)... Think of this new build as a more purely all business version of Back Seat Betty.

[​IMG]

9. mj40's

mj40's

I don't like the grill either. PM me and I will give you an address to send it to.

10. roseboystoys

roseboystoys

Let the MASTER do his thing. TRUST ME on this one. I had some doubts also when we started our project. It will be right. Kevin doesn't let it go wrong.

Ryan Rose
    Owner of "Lucky Strike".

11. blackout

blackout

Ray Gun builds another winner. Total class act.

12. You're a brave man, Tully, to give the HAMB a photo of a tastefully-assembled selection of parts!

I view it as sorta like getting a napkin sketch from Picasso or somethin'.

Can't wait to see it all come together, the final grille shape and placement, the headlight choice, the stance. Also looking forward to the second-guessing, endless discussion and agonizing over which rare part to utilize. :D

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

In a nutshell, lighter wheels accelerate quicker. If you think you need ballast don't let it be reciprocating or unsprung.

14. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

I remember allot of guys not liking this grill also,,,,,, I don't hear any thing now that it's done. As a mater of fact,,, I'm reading about it in Hot Roding Magazine. :confused:

Hell,,, I think it's going to look Cool,,, Build On !!

Attached Files:

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That sedan should be enough explanation why you should ditch the Late 30s Plymouth grille in favor of something more appropriately zoomy.

My recommendation would be a 36 Studebaker radiator shell with a custom vertical or horizontal tube grille. It can be shortened and even narrowed, if you choose, easily and even slanted back a bit and is very streamilined in an early way which mates to the boxy Model A design.

16. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

cant we all just get along.........A man needs to believe in something, I believe I need another drink!!!!!!!!

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of alternative grilles just to be... different. I like timeless.

Even so, these guys have proved me wrong more than once already and I wouldn't put it past them to do it again. Just a shit ton of talent oozing out of that shop.

18. Concrete B

Concrete B

I like your past cars, can't wait to see this one.

19. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

im anxious to see progress on this

20. boldventure

boldventure

Keep the grille!
    Work it into the design. Transition from the cowl to the grille shell. Keep the grille lower than the cowl, yeah 'ya might have to cut it some but...cuttin up a car is not a crime..

21. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

22. derelict

derelict

Get rid of the grill, please... Yech...

23. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

I love all the comments guys. For and against. It goes to show that there are lots of different styles, and not everyone has to like yours. As long as everyone can appreciate the craftmanship, I'm fine with not everyone enjoying the overall design. And would never expect everyone to.

Although I appreciate the time tested A or Deuce grille, I see the Model A as the hardest car to build. So much has been done, and so many combinations tried, that I find it to almost be a Nemesis car. One that's the most difficult to bring together in something stylish, different, and memorable.

24. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

10-4 on that........maybee a push bar filled with lead ? thanks for the input

25. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

It can also be several other things. The one I run into most commonly on hot rods is that the spring rate in the rear is far too heavy. Suspension geometry, type of rear suspension, etc. can also be factors. Weight transfer is an important principle. And if you don't have it, or the car has a hard time making it, you'll have tire spin in spades.

26. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

Holy crap!!!! Thing scared the hell outa me! Just like m wife. I'm in love!

27. fuel

fuel

First off, I want to say I admire ya'lls crafstmanship and attention to design. However, I, too think that those Art Deco inspired grills look somewhat out of place on the boxy As. But if anyone can pull it off, I think you guys can. I tend to do things different as well and I like seeing other guys do the same. I can't wait to see the finished product. I may or may not like it, but I still respect the craftsmanship that went into it.

Oh, and to point out the obvious, if this was someone else that posted this mock up, half the guys saying that they love it would have called it the R-word and would have hated the use of that grill. LOL.

28. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks Fuel. I'd like to think not on the last comment. All of the comments within this thread show how diverse the HAMB really is, and that people aren't afraid to voice their opinions. I'm usually the guy who doesn't, but moreso because I own a shop and don't think it's my place. I've seen plenty of skinny-tired-model-A-or-B-flathead-powered-deuce-grilled- painted-black-wire-wheeled hot rods on here and thought, "ugh, not another one." And then you the "THE one" that someone's done. And there is something different about it. And it's awesome.

These bodies are tough to build as something that stands out. For some, it's that pair of ultra-rare flathead heads, or a set of curved glass SW's. I still appreciate it. Most anyone that knows me knows that's not my style, and I like to go F A S T. And even with the most built flathead, you're not making 500 lb/ft of torque. But I still get excited to see one of those skinny tire cars that's done just right.

In a sea of Model A's with A or Deuce grills (or the dare-to-be-different Essex/IH/Buick/Etc. flat grille shell) I'm just trying to be different, but stay stylish. It may not be everymans style, but the quality and craftsmanship will be there. And like most of our cars, will be a love it or hate it style. Craftsmanship, stance and speed will be the common thread though that most will appreciate.

My own car was a risk with the Dodge grille. I heard from EVERYONE that it would never work. And yet I got some pretty awesome responses to the photographs I posted on here. My favorites include:

LuckyBastardMiguel:
    "that looks bad ass looks mean looking, like it would scare the shit out of little kids "

fur biscuit
    "that first picture makes the car look like it is going to gouge out your eyeballs and skull f*ck you!"

porknbeaner
    "Kevin,
    It is a nice photo and not knock the guys skills but truth is you could shoot that car with a Brownie and it would still be a knockout."

hillbillydeluxe
    "Scary car. Like in "oh my God, it's cool and hasn't been done to death".

And my favorite of all time:

sko_ford:
    "i the pics i seen be for i thought it looked cool, but these pics are evil. i mean torches and pitch forks evil"

29. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

I cant "see" the grill either, but im sure it will be a winner!!

Is someone going to do a rendering like the one for "PSYCHOHOLIC"?? Im sure that would change alot of peoples minds...

30. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Yeah Bobby, I did a photoshop rendering of it. It's nowhere near as cool as Zombie's drawings though!