Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Hot Rod Dash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 6, 2008.

1. metalshapes

metalshapes

Model A Coupe.

Attached Files:

2. autobilly

autobilly

Re. comment #49: Thanks for the pic stragedy. Although the car shown is an FB, the model before EK, they are almost exactly the same and both have kool dash layouts. The main feature being a 5inch 110mph (optomistic) AC speedo, which has an orange band to indicate speed instead of a dial indicator hand.

3. cball

cball

Dreadman, I like the look of the dash, clean, and using the model a tank face. I look forward to seeing more of your car. I like to use the A tank face also.

Attached Files:

4. Retroline

Retroline

Dreadman, that dash works for me. I love it.
    Here are some others I've saved for inspiration.

Attached Files:

5. klazurfer

klazurfer

Saved this dash and gauges for my roadster :)
    mine to the right ...
    Lefty is the dash Doane Spencer had in his roadster back in the forties ..
    Klaz

Attached Files:

6. alchemy

alchemy

Is that THE Spencer dash?

7. klazurfer

klazurfer

Alchemy : I found my dash on Ebay several years ago ( from Calif ). I bought it because I love SW back-mount gauges , and this Dash seemed like the perfect place to put them to use . George Temple had a simmilar dash in his Deuce , But NO sigar ( Different size Tach & Speedo ). The Doane Spencer dash had the VERY same gauge-size as mine : 6 SW 2 3/8 & `32 Ford size Bezel : Tach & Speedo , and a Ford starter-button down center .
    My dash is a stock unit chromed & detailed ( Engine turned )
    Wish some1 could ad some pix of the Doane Spencer dash ( From back in the fourties ) The pic I added is from a Don Montgomery book
    Klaz:)

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

GREAT decisions going on there...

Like you, I love the rear mounts...

9. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe your's is the Spencer dash then. Maybe sold out of California after the restoration? Do you remember the name of the seller?

The current state of the Spencer car has 2-1/16" winged gauges instead of the larger rear-mounts. Wonder if (when) it ever had the winged before the resto? I think the current dash is painted with a full-face turned insert.

10. klazurfer

klazurfer

As far as I can remember : Doane Spencer updated his roadster back in the early fifties , and in the prosess , He went from SW back-mount gauges to SW-"Wings" gauges ( Stock deuce roadster dash with an Engine-turned insert ) ..
    My dash has several holes on the bottom lip , ... 2 holes for the column-drop , and then some additional holes that indicates that a Hand-pump ( fuel ) might have been used .. ( My Bell-pump fits )
    My dash sure has that Forties style feel , But it is probably a dash made by someone influenced by Duanes`design , rather than THE-1 ...
    Wish it was:) , might be :rolleyes: ... but probably ain`t :(

11. klazurfer

klazurfer

Alchemy :
    Yup , I sure do remember the name of the seller !! ... : He told me that he had to move some stuff because he was relocatin` ...
    . "my" dash came from his fathers collection ( Early-"Hot-Rod" stuff ) ..
    Never met the seller in person .. ( and probably never will ) , But still : I consider him as a good friend :) :) :)

12. alchemy

alchemy

Initials TC?

13. theflame

theflame

This blog was awesome, really enjoyed it.

Anyone got any more pics of the The Niekamp Roadster's interior? Not been able to find much apart from that one shot of the dash that Ryan posted...

14. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Here's mine. Plain and not fancy but I like it. I wanted to keep the original 3 window dash and this was the best I could do with what I had to work with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. cruzr

cruzr

in my track roadster

Attached Files:

16. alsancle

alsancle

Stock but still pretty cool I think. It's symmetric with the exception of the altimeter in the upper right corner.

Attached Files:

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Stock in what? Cool.

18. alsancle

alsancle

Duesenberg J with the later supercharged swept needle tach and speedo. A see a lot of guys use the 30/32 Auburn Dash. The king of all stock dash panels is the Cord 810/812 but it would be hard to adapt I think -and expensive if you want to use the stock instruments.

Attached Files:

19. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

20. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Mine on my ex roadster...

Attached Files:

21. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

here's the dash we made for my roadster

Attached Files:

22. Here's the one I made for my coupe, it's kinda plain and simple I guess, but I wanted to use the original dash rail and add some room for more gauges.

Attached Files:

23. Ryan
    Good word my friend. I've been trying to build the perfect dash for years. I've come close but I haven't quite got it. I think my next will be sans speedo. Mrs Beaner and I discussed it and she says why have a gauge you never use. Well that and I can't seem to find one that says Police Special and is round (and cheap). :D

Anyway good article.

Thanks
    Benno