Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Not a chance I will make that one. I still have the brakes to finish. I will probably cruise over in the F1.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I got the adapter for the temp sender today, so that is good. I can at least button up the cooling system.

3. Been plugging away. Lots of painting and boring stuff like that. I assembled the front suspension today for the final time. It went together like butter. It's nice when everything fits together like it should and goes together smoothly. I went with a "4 inch" dropped model A axle. It's about a 1 inch taller than the 33-36 axle I had in there. I was trying to justify using the mechanical brakes. so I would have the juice stuff for another car I want to start building, but that's stupid. I am going with juice brakes. After all the debate about it, what it came down to is, I believe it's going to be slightly less maintenance to have to deal with vs. mechanicals. Plus I already had all the parts.

With the front going up slightly I am also changing the front wheels and tires to 5.50x17's. I think it will make it feel a little more balanced with such a large rear tire. Also I did finally find the line fittings to work with the 5/16 Cunifer fuel line and all the other connections I need to make that work.

I've still got a lot of assembly to do, But it's all nice clean painted parts, so this should start coming together really quickly. I've said that before, but I think it will stick this time.

I do need to figure out my brake lines and a master cylinder mount. and I'm sure a million more little details. But I can actually see some light at the end of the tunnel. I hope it's running by the end of the month.... Specifically my Birthday on the 27....

I'm trying to keep the final product a little hush hush so at least some of it's a bit of a surprise for you guys when it's finished. I do promise a good photo study of the details when it's done. I think it's pretty authentic for 1950 or there abouts. It would have been a little dated by that time, technology wise, but I never meant for it to be state of the art.

Anyways, here is a picture from the garage the other day while sitting and having a beer, my birthday present, and a few randoms of the F1.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    sko_ford likes this.
  4. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Nice work keep at it

5. Keep going! Hope to see it on the road this summer!!

6. Thanks guys! I sure got carried away didn't I! a simple engine swap turned into a full mechanical rebuild....It should drive like a hole new truck! Chris, you'll definitely see it on the road this summer.

7. Taking a bunch of drums and shoes to be checked out/relined tomorrow. Got the last little bits sand blasted today. Thanks for all that @J scow

I am getting a new front main leaf made, as it seemed to be bending up where the second leaf ended. It's also the only thing I haven't touched....sooo....yeah....rebuilding it. o_O

Now I just need to get the new stuff painted. Get that spring back. put that under, figure out a master cylinder mount and some lines. I'm tempted to buy the clings Bolt in kit, because I want it to work right NOW! but in reality I am probably going to copy @Chris from when he had his old coupe..running the M/c on the passenger side. Here is that thread if you wanna see it. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...el-a-simple-tricks-to-update-your-car.435510/

I'm gonna try and get the brakes working before I fire it. Just so I don't do something stupid :D

I leave you with this. I gotta go paint that perch. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Flowmeister likes this.
  8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The main leaf was bending up where the second leaf ended.. So the main leaf was drooping under weight? Just sitting in the garage?

Is it a factory main leaf or aftermarket?

9. It had been used in the truck for awhile. It was in it when I got it. May have been in it before the previous owner got it too. No clue how long it has been there really.

It's a reverse eye main. I don't think any of it is factory the ends of all the other leaves are square. I've got another couple stock A front springs and the ends of the leaves on them are tapered.

It was bending right where the second leaf ends on the main leaf.

I'll take some pictures when I get it back from the spring shop.

10. 33-34 leafs were square, so it may have been a 33-34 spring with an A main under it.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  11. @Chris It could be, I'll take a picture of it when I get everything back. I really think it was locally made. It just doesn't have the feel of a factory Ford piece. But I could be wrong.

12. Also I forgot! I need some Square hole early Ford rear shoes, so I can take them, reline them and arc them to my drums. I only have round hole shoes...

any help locating some would be awesome!

13. gwhite likes this.
  14. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Very cool is it 6v or 12v

15. It's a 6 volt coil.

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Very cool, Matt. Where do you continue to find these treasures???

17. Well, basically I'm not sure....I guess the answer is persistence and knowing what I want. I figure out exactly what it is I am searching for, and then I just look for it all over the place until I find it. I find stuff here, Craigslist, fordbarn, ebay, just searching google, club meetings, where ever. I've had to pay some crazy money for a few things to get them away from the previous owner and I've payed pennies on the dollar for some of my best stuff too. It all evens out in the end.

18. olskool34

olskool34

I might have some shoes that would be good cores. I'll look and see what I got. They're yours if you pay for shipping.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  19. Thanks for the offer. @Chris literally just left. He dropped off everything I need! Thanks bud! And thanks to everyone that has offered parts.

20. olskool34

olskool34

Ok cool, glad you got some.

21. Ain't that the truth!

22. I just posted this on another thread, but thought I would put it here too.

"99%er here. Thought I would chime in. I find this to be a rather interesting thread.

I personally like cars that are true and EXACT to a period. Either a TRUE survivor or an honest reproduction. I know this can come across as elitist, but that is not my intention. It's just what I like. Same way i am attracted to certain female body types over others...It just is.

I can't change the fact that I don't like the looks of super modern stuff on an old car or that I want my car to look old down to the littlest details. It's true, the littlest detail can RUIN a car for me. This is my problem, not the builders of said car, or people that don't notice that "flaw"(Not really a flaw, just in my eyes). It's my problem and I try to keep my mouth shut about it. I also have a OCD problem about how the dishes in the dishwasher are arranged....So yeah....

It just is what it is.

I'm not saying that a "traditionally inspired build" is not cool Or that mine or anyone else's "period perfect" build is better in anyway. I just build them and gravitate towards them because that is what attracts me. I want it to be EXACTLY like a moment frozen in time. Simple as that. If I built them any other way I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Seriously.

Yes, I know I am sick. I do not encourage this behavior. In fact, seek help...

Now we will take a look at just how deep I have gone.

I'm building my 1931 Model A pickup as a post war shop truck, Something you would have seen in the backround 46-52ish time period with some older stuff thrown in. My premise for building it is that this is what I would do with all the banger parts off of a roadster that has been swapped to a V8 after the war.

Here is a run down of some of what I have put into this build.

Engine: Model A 4 cylinder with lightened flywheel and counterbalanced crank. Running a Super Winfield head, which is a post war Bell Auto Parts produced reproduction of the original Winfield heads, which were almost 20 years old at the time. Winfield downdraft carb and intake and a Winfield cam. Fuel is fed from a stock tank and late 31 shut off valve to a 1948 Fram glass bowl fuel filter, then onto a restored 1940's Autopulse 500 6v fuel pump. All of this thru Cunifer fuel Lines( looks like copper but better) For ignition it's got a late 30's restored Mallory distributor backed by a NOS Mallory "Best Coil Ever Made" ignition coil. Power runs thru that to cloth spark plug wires and NOS Autolite spark plugs dated to the period. It has reproduction Model A red stripe hoses, which I believe were what was available from Ford in the 40's? ( could be wrong on that) and those are clamped by NOS Breeze thumbscrew hose clamps that are Army/Navy WWII vintage. It has a 6volt generator. The only modern concession is a NEW leakless sealed bearing water pump. of course all the gaskets and consumables are new.

Transmission: 1939 toploader adapted via a Clings kit.

Brakes and suspension: early Ford brakes all around. The front axle is a dropped model A, stock A perches and a reverse eye spring. Spindles are 1939 round backs. Nothing fancy. Everything was rebuilt to factory tolerance using old American made replacement parts. Shoes relined locally. It's got a reverse eye spring in rear too, with a 7 leaf spring(roadster). I took the stock springs and chamfered the edges and polished them to make the spring smooth. It would have been a lot easier to by a street rod spring. The Tires are 5.50x17 front and 7.50x17 rear. Basically stock tire sizes for a 1933-34 Ford car and a 1934 Cadillac v16. On Ford 17 wire wheels. Shocks are to be determined. About the only thing not in line would be the 1953 F100 steering box.

It has cloth wiring thru out. Almost everything is NOS, a good reproduction, or a nice original. Just as long as it looks the part. I've even gone as far as "restoring" parts of the truck so they would more closely resemble how the truck would have been in the late 40's. I don't know that it's period perfect, I don't know that it's even that cool. It's just what I am building, it's built to the best of my abilities at this time. It's mine and it's a representative of my hot rod personality, Just as yours is a representative of you. I'm not here to judge you on whether you chose an alternator or a generator, or bias vs radials. Those are your choices, and these are mine. This hobby would be far less interesting if we all built the same shit. Just because it's not for me, doesn't mean I don't respect the effort and skill. I just think it's awesome that we're all able to do this stuff, whether it's "super period anal stuff" like I like or the "traditional inspired" and so on. We all have our place.....except for Rat Rods....Screw those guys o_O:eek::p;) J/K

In the end when I am done with it, It will resume duties as my daily driver. Everytime I drive it I will be taking a trip in time. I hope to be able to park it in front of a vintage craftsman house someday, and listen to my 1940's records, while sitting on a a vintage couch. I just want the experience to be. "how it was" Shitty bias ply's, crappy suspension, dim headlights and all.... because that authentic experience makes me happy. :cool:"

brEad and T__N__A like this.
  23. Have any pics of the shop truck build yet?

Streetrods are driven by Chevy, Hotrods are powered by FORD!

24. Is there something specific you want to see? Or just everything in general? I'd be happy to take any pictures of the stuff I did that you want to see. Nothing I have done here is something that hasn't been done before. Most of the highlights have been posted in previous pictures. This thing is literally a bolt together. I have done almost no fabrication, and it certainly isn't anything special or different.

Honestly it's in kinda the mess before the finish. Parts are literally spread everywhere. I get the brakes back this week, Everything is painted and either mounted or in staging. I got my new tires Saturday, I will mount the tires tuesday, hopefully have the spring back by then. Throw the front back under for the final time Wednesday ish. Do the brake lines and Mastercylinder. Bleed the brakes, Mount the radiator, and hood. Double check everything. Fire the engine and hopefully drive it.

25. I would like some general pics of the chassis once its put back together, then some of the final project together.

Streetrods are driven by Chevy, Hotrods are powered by FORD!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  26. I'll get those pictures as soon as possible. I've been saying it forever....but.... I really hope to have it wrapped up soon.

[​IMG]

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Matt = Period Whore

;)

kidcampbell71 and Hitchhiker like this.
  28. Hey man, you're not alone! I agree 100% with the things you've said here. Having a time period, and sticking to it, are key for me. Little details that don't fit the theme or year can throw a build completely off.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  29. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Its not crazy, or OCD, or weird, Matt. It is just right.

...of course, having been to my place, you know my stance on the matter. You can come by and listen to '40s records on my '40s couch anytime... ;)

Hitchhiker and gwhite like this.
  30. Thanks guys, I was just putting that here because I thought it might get deleted.

On another notw. The truck got mostly wired last night with the help if @gwhite thanks dude! I just need the spring and we're in business.