Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Sweet! Don't rush into juce brakes quite yet. Looks like Bob is doing pretty much the same as I am. A stretch-dropped axle (mine's a 3.5") with '32-34 spindles and perches makes keeping your mechanicals a mostly bolt-on proposition. And all the cool kids are doing it...

Some 16", or maybe ever 17" wires, some banger goodies, and a little altitude adjustment, and your off to the show.

Sub'd for sure and hoping to see this thing in the area soon...

2. Glad you like it Matt! My Dad already claims he misses it and is eyeing that other A pickup I drug home. He has the disease BAD! Whatever you do have fun with it and take care of the old girl. She's a good lil hauler

3. after meeting your Dad, it's easy to see how you guys got it bad. he made me promise to give him first rights of refusal, if I ever sell it...I'm sure once he gets his v8 truck going good. it will help ease the pain a little. thanks again!

4. Haha! Yeah, he'll like that 34 pickup just as much...maybe more. The whole deal really worked out perfect!

5. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

6. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

How about one of them there thingie's that comes out of the passengers side of the hood that makes all that sweet noise:rolleyes: ah a header:D" nice" dare i say truck ?

7. Looking good, man.

Glad to see that you will get to do some running about! :D

8. Tank

Tank

a wide bed with fenders! Good score man. Hang on to those fenders. Thats all they fit, and almost irreplaceable. Subscribing.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool little pickup -- Congrats!

Malcolm

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Cool truck, looks like a May-July of 31 if it doesn't have the all steel roof. My late 31 pickup was missing the box when I got it, couldn't find a wide box back then or worse yet the rarer then hen's teeth rear fenders.

11. Well, I've been driving and thinking for the last couple days now about what I want to do. Basically just getting to know the truck. It runs and drives pretty damn good. Fires up easy. It has good power. No problem keeping up with arterial speed limits. Braking isn't as bad as I expected, but still leaves a lot to be desired, but sure stops better than J scow's t RPU on a stock A chassis. The one thing it really needs is a steering box rebuild. I'm not sure if I should keep and rebuild the stock one or use the f1 steering box I have. I had originally wanted to AV8 this thing, but that was before I knew it had the original engine. So the v8 is out. Besides. I figure the 4 will be fine around town. The pickup is to small to make lots of major road trips, so around town is really all it will see 99% of the time.

I forgot that it does have a reverse eye front spring on it already, so check that off the list.

here is what I am currently thinking of doing.

Stage 1:

I have a set of some 7.50x17 wires for the rear and some 5.50x16 firestone ribbed fronts I will run for now. I just need to paint the wheels black. and mount the tires. I hope to get that done this week.

Stage 2:

Either drop a model A front axle or use the 36 dropped front I already have
    F100 brakes
    f1 steering----- maybe???
    reverse eye springs front and rear.
    6.00x16 and 7.50x16 firestones on solids. (have the rears already)

Stage 3:

B engine. Counterbalanced crank, full pressure with inserts. 7:1 head. Downdraft carb. header and cam.

v8 trans maybe a Columbia rearend.

dropped headlight bar. Brush paint black .....done...:cool:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like the plan. Go forth!!!

13. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

That sounds like a good plan. Those rear fenders are quite valuable. Hang on to them.

-Mitch

14. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I would rebuild the steering box,
    or use a F100
    Flange can be cut down and redrilled and will
    Mount to stock location
    Same tie rod as ModelA

F1 is way too much work and you dont need it if you keep
    The 4banger
    Michael

15. Tommy R

Tommy R

Sounds like you've got a great plan put together!

16. I rebuilt the box in my coupe, a nice rebuilt box will work good and you won't have to monkey around with the throttle/spark controls. Also, shorten the pitman arm 1"...it helps a ton with bump steer. Read back at my coupe threads...some of it is fuzzy but I basically did all of that and documented it. The V8 tranny was my favorite upgrade, and with that juiced up B it did 70 no problem.
    My Brother has a Mallory distributor with cyntrificul advance if you need one... I think he'll sell it.

17. I rebuilt the box in my coupe, a nice rebuilt box will work good and you won't have to monkey around with the throttle/spark controls. Also, shorten the pitman arm 1"...it helps a ton with bump steer. Read back at my coupe threads...some of it is fuzzy but I basically did all of that and documented it. The V8 tranny was my favorite upgrade, and with that juiced up B it did 70 no problem.
    My Brother has a Mallory distributor with cyntrificul advance if you need one... I think he'll sell it.

18. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Yeah chris is right, the 1inch shorter pitman arm is a good idea!

19. I'll give rebuilding the stocker and shortening the pitman arm a try first. I'd prefer to save the f1 for my 32 frame build.

Definitely interested in that distributor.

Also I can't seem to search farther back than about 2009 on your post....

20. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Good looking truck. I think I've seen it before... ; )
    I like the plan. A "T" spring would work great in the rear. I don't need the Mallory if you are interested.

21. Matt,
    Another option for you on the steering. I've got a complete column with a nice tight steering box that belongs to Rolf (my bad for not getting it back to him). If you'd be interested in that one get ahold of him and see what he wants. Then we can figure out how to hook up.

22. olskool34

olskool34

I think the stock box is fine if it is in good shape. I have no problems turning it with a stock pitman arm. Granted, turning it while not moving sucks but that happens rarely, plus the light switch on the bottom is just plain cool.

23. Actually, it would turn easier with the stock pitman arm...more leverage. But it causes bump steer...so much in fact they you can buy a new pitman arm 1.5" shorter then stock.

24. Nick O

Nick O
    from Ohio

Congrats on your truck I'm sure it will turn out fine. Here is a pic of mine I have owned it 48 years bought it when i was 13 still working on it. Good Luck and have fun!

Attached Files:

25. Well I got some new wheels and tires on it today. I was going to try and dismount the rears so I could paint them. But I'm afraid I might tear them, as they have been on there awhile. So I just threw them on. I will take them off and mask them asap....or maybe paint the fronts white. As I think it looks pretty good too.

They are 5.50X16 firestone ribbbed fronts and Denman 7.50x17 rears.

They totally change the attitude of the truck, along with making it ride and drive better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris gave me a lowering spring for the rear with it, so I am going to give that a try next.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    J.Ukrop likes this.
  26. Thanks, that is the exact one I was thinking about.

I do have a t spring I could borrow.... I'll pm you about the fan and the distributor.

Thanks, I'll see what he want for it.

Good to know. I don't think it's that bad except for the play in it. I was just throwing the f1 out there.

Thats a good looking truck!

27. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Matt, Truck sure looks like it will make a nice Rod for you. Nothing like a banger powered Hot Rod !

Dave

28. Do I have to pull the rear end to get the spring out? I usually just take apart the pack leaving the main with c clamps. I don't think that will work to well in this case. I guess I need a spring spreader.

29. 510madmav

510madmav

Looks cool dude, you still keeping the coupe? I hella want an early pick up, they make the coolest rods/haulers.