Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Hirohata Mercury price: Take a guess and win a prize!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 21, 2021.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

The car is iconic. Look at how high 1980's cars are starting to go for. A friend of mine noted the other day that he was starting to sell things off. I've done some of that also.......

The guys who find this iconic are getting fewer and fewer but those who operate auctions like this do their jobs.......

Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8 posts in 12 years. Cool. Couldn’t help it …. Now back to the GOAT Merc.

Stogy likes this.
  3. 5window

5window

Well, yeah, you did. GCPRs are the rich guys with cars-you said it yourself. I'd like to see it where someone would drive it and make it accessible. But, if someone buys it, they own it and can hide it, scrap it or whatever. I hope not, but the only way to insure it has the ending you want is to buy it yourself.

Lil32 likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Money for Nothin'...and the chicks for free...:p...funny I always thought it was the checks for free...:eek:

BrerHair and Lil32 like this.
  5. FYI...he didn't restore it. It was restored for him by Rod n Custom magazine, i think it was. Ask Pat Ganahl or Jeff Nepel.

Stogy and mctim64 like this.
  6. Well, Bob wasn't afraid to drive it. But then, it wasn't an ICON back then, like it is now. I wouldn't be afraid to drive it, but it wouldn't be alot. It would be a shame to have it locked away somewhere. I definetely wouldn't leave it unattended anywhere. Young people today have no appreciation for old cars and don't have a clue who or what Hirohata is.

Pist-n-Broke, Lil32 and jim snow like this.
  7. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Let's try $1.325 million. Have any descendants/relatives of Bob been interviewed about the car?

Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  8. Not entirely accurate. Jim and his family did most of the work themselves. R&C financed the restoration, documented it and provided some connections to people like Junior to paint it.

rod1, 54delray, Torchie and 2 others like this.
  9. 47 ford

47 ford

Lil32 likes this.
  10. Dale perkins

Dale perkins

90.000 it's iconic but it's a custom Merc iconic drag cars don't go for much either

Lil32 likes this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I know a guy with a really nice Merc. A guy called him out of the blue asking if it was forsale. He said no. The guy said he had 90 thousand dollars to spend. And said if he knew of a nice Merc to call him.

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I think you are off a zero on the Calori Coupe. I`m suprised nobody caught that.

13. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

$245,000 Hey, it could happen.

14. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

1.2 mil

15. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

I don't want to get into this contest. But just to set the record straight, Rod & Custom in absolutely no way "sponsored" or "financed" this car's restoration. Jim McNiel did the vast majority of the work on the car himself, as accurate to the original as possible. Certain people or companies donated parts or services, such as PPG paints, Junior Conway, and Verne's Plating. Jim traded a vintage Jaguar sedan to Eddie Martinez for the upholstery. Jim completely restored the trunk upholstery himself. I documented the car's restoration as well as its history as fully and as accurately as I could. I am just very glad that Jim got to finally see the car finished and appreciated by many people in many places. I think it should be in the Petersen Museum, as does Scott. But we all know that whoever has the biggest pile of money, and wants it, will get it. Finally, if you don't know what you're talking about, please don't talk.

16. Thank you Pat!

17. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

$350,000

18. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Like i always said, customs are for getting girls, hot rods are for getting rid of them. :D:eek: I will say $1,675,000

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Lil32 likes this.
  19. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks for the clarification, Pat and K13.
    If the only people that could comment were the ones that knew what they are talking about, this would be a very quiet site. Especially on the custom side...........
    Now I'm in trouble.LOL
    Torchie

Squablow, drdave, da34guy and 5 others like this.
  20. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think a real world price should be 80-100. But I think someone might spend as much as 260,000.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Lil32 likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want a T-Shirt...:)...it's a contest after all...and the Hirohata Merc is not Bill Gates Mansion nor will it ever be comparable to such things...Its relative Iconic Hamb Material...whats not to like?

williebill, jim snow, rod1 and 2 others like this.
  22. $809,400

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  23. 5window

5window

X2 See, I just proved your point :)

Torchie likes this.
  24. THAT'S WHY I SAID TO ASK JEFF OR PAT. I WASN'T SURE HOW MUCH WAS DONE BY WHO.

Stogy likes this.
  25. Says the guy who's concerned with what 200 other guys are doing... :rolleyes: Nice thing about forums: you can keep scrolling.

VANDENPLAS, Thor1 and lurker mick like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad you chimed in with your information as best as you knew...I really was offended by the assumption or alluding this icon was being neglected...

I always look forward to your input and appreciate it...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Thor1 likes this.
  27. choppedrod63

choppedrod63

Hmmm... I am thinkin' $1.5 millon. I just know it way over what my check book shows I have on hand right now!

Thor1, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  28. ironrodder

ironrodder

$385,000

Thor1, Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  29. JIMRODS

JIMRODS
    from NEW JERSEY

There is only 1 origional..Kindig gets that to start..

Thor1 likes this.