Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Hirohata Mercury price: Take a guess and win a prize!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 21, 2021.

1. 327Eric

327Eric

I was wandering around Monterey when they unveiled the Bullit Mustang. They were adament about the do not touch, but while everyone was watching the speech, I was able to lean in enough to see my eyes in the rearview mirror like Steve did. Without touching.

41 GMC K-18, wandi harry and Thor1 like this.
  2. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The down side to this is: before I was pretty sure I couldn't afford a custom merc, now I'm positive I can't afford one, or probably any merc.

Phil

3. wicarnut

wicarnut

Mecum fees, buyer 10% in person, telephone or internet 12%, + 3% for credit card use, seller fee 8% is what I found on the internet, I only know one man that sent a car to Mecum, car did sell, no reserve, but the seller fee and special handling charges due to him not being there surpassed 8%. So......... 1.9 million + 12% = 2,128,000 buyer total cost, 1,900,000 minus 8%, seller received 1,748,000. total from sale. I do not know if sellers / buyers can negotiate the fees on high buck cars. These auctions are the place to sell the high dollar cars IMO and hope like hell that two high rollers decide they have to have your car and then it's a pissing contest, who can pee the highest. Glad I stopped at 1.85 LOL

4. They'd be really pissed when I gave em my credit card number :D body filler sanding fireman doesn't get the 2 million dollar credit limit :(

hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  5. wicarnut

wicarnut

FYI, At these type auctions you submit your bank letter of credit or high limit credit card and all this is locked up, your limit set in advance before you receive a bidders paddle and bidders number, they code the numbers/paddles and know your top bid available that has been pre approved and you cannot bid over your limit. There might be a few exceptions for well known high rollers, do not know, never been a high roller. LOL

R A Wrench, hotrodjack33 and Thor1 like this.
  6. 5window

5window

At what price point do these objects stop being cars and become just collectible things to have? Complicated by the fact that guys like Jay Leno have some costly stuff but still operate them as "automobiles". A two million dollar object that just sits in somebody's living room museum is no longer a car.

hotrodjack33 and jim snow like this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Worked on a car today. The owner will have about 100 thousand into it. He will not drive it much at all. He thinks it`s too valuable to drive. Something might happen to it.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  8. noboD

noboD

He could be right. He may actually enjoy it.

Beanscoot likes this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

10. Deuces

Deuces

loudbang likes this.
  11. 5window

5window

Ah, but maybe the new owner will be revealed.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. I'm sure you'll be missed.

Mick

13. Gofannon

Gofannon

If the high rollers are throwing that much money into old cars with a financial crisis looming, maybe I can justify buying more of them? Safer than houses?:D

14. Pat Ganahl recently posted this article on Jim McNiel and the Hirohata Merc. It's always great to hear Pat's incite and personal history with the Hirohata Merc. It is well worth the read and the incredible photos.
    https://patganahl.com/2022/01/24/the-mcniel-merc/
    HMerc020.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    jim snow, The 39 guy, Stogy and 15 others like this.
  15. Its not a dealer it's Galpin Auto Sports (Dave Shuten). https://www.galpinautosports.com/ and it's not fake news.

Stogy and hrm2k like this.
  16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'd imagine the buyer is Beau Boeckmann, not Dave Shuten. Beau Boeckmann is the President of Galpin Motors, Inc., which is one of the world's largest Ford dealerships. It's my understanding that Galpin Auto Sports is a subsidiary of the parent company, run by the same individuals.

Either way, I think it's great that such wealthy people take an interest in this hobby of ours and have been, and continue to be, such great ambassadors for the hobby. He already owns several Roth cars. It's wonderful to see the Hirohata is in good hands and will be visible to the public, and not sequestered away in some private collection.

jim snow, loudbang, 5window and 3 others like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

If true, that is good news. Some of the profit Galpin made on the Ford Focus my daughter bought from them (and 10's of thousands of other sales) helped pay for the Hirohata Mercury.

Bob

jim snow and hotrodjack33 like this.
  18. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

19. noboD

noboD

Congrats to whoever bought it. I am officially jealous.

The37Kid likes this.
  20. Who give's a rat's ass who bought it? Is your electric bill going up, or are they paying your insurance? Let it go.....Go out and work on your damn car! Jeeze!

choffman41 likes this.
  21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

We care because as custom car enthusiasts we'd prefer that such a iconic car be out and visible to the public, as opposed to hidden away like the Golden Sahara was for decades on end. If some sheik from Dubai bought this thing and shipped it over to the Middle East, we might not ever see it again.

54delray, stanlow69, drdave and 3 others like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I got to see the Hirohata Mercury when it was in the Petersen, I car I read about when I first got into the hobby, I followed the restoration, and know the story. It matters to me knowing it has a caretaker that will most likely let my grandchildren see it. What I'm working on in my garage doesn't matter.

Bob

23. If you don’t give a rat’s ass about historic rods and customs, and the preservation of the history of the hobby… you might be on the wrong website.

24. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I dunno about that. I'm not super interested in the history, builders, etc, either. I pay a little attention when it's talked about, but it's not something I throw myself into. I'm more interested in a car built by your average guy.

INVISIBLEKID, Budget36 and choffman41 like this.
  25. I've never seen that car and I'm sure I never will. I don't really care who owns it. I don't think that means I'm on the wrong website though.

26. 5window

5window

I appreciate all of the original, and subsequent, work done on this and other customs. There is some beautiful craftsmanship here. But, like a lot of other objects of art, customs aren't really my cup of tea (bottle of beer?) and I am here for the hot rods.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    INVISIBLEKID and choffman41 like this.
  27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So, it`s like me not giving a rat`s ass who`s playing in the Super Bowl. But I don`t listen to sports talk shows either. But I would go watch my grandkid play a sports activity.

54delray, williebill and Moriarity like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

"It's their money to spend as they please.", guess that holds true for watching millionaire jocks, but Google the cost of Super Bowl tickets.

loudbang, williebill and stanlow69 like this.
  29. 5window

5window

I went to Super Bowl III. Jets vs Colts. Still have my ticket. It cost $8.00

Thor1 likes this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

My first Model T Ford was $220.00 delivered.